Analysis Overall Trade/Draft discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

a2efd91066909c62b8a8e9236459b595

Complete crap, no way we would had picked him up at 12. Great get at 37 but let's settle down.

Yeah I think we would have gotten doedeeeode! But seriously would have taken Curnow or Burton I'd have thought. But Bonner does seem like 1st round type caliber.

two different types of risky at 12? Partington would have been the "safe" choice, and then one of Mathieson or Bonner probably goes to WC at 28 or wherever. Anyway, Bonner is going to be a great get for us IMO.

Im more than happy with our trade and draft period... I think we have set ourselves up now to really be a force with a good mixture of older heads and young minds.

I know Moore was picked up by tigers??? but did anyone snap up Mason Shaw?

Out:
Kornes
1st round pick in a weak draft, 2nd round pick in a weaker draft
A group of KPFs/Rucks who were a way of 1st 22 and unlikely to reach there.
Moore - a player who never quite reached his potential and sat in the 20-25 player bracket.

In:
KPF with big upside and dodgy ankles.
Past first rounder who hasn't lived up to potential but has time left.
Bonner - a great kick who slide out of the top 25, superfluous but still a good pick. Will take a year getting up to AFL level.
Johnson - would have taken him at our first pick, so to get him at our second is great. Will give us pace and cover Matt White. Probably needs a year to learn what is required.
Snelling - best player available. Ready to go, low ceiling but worth a punt. Surprised considering the success of Caleb Daniel that he went so late.
Hewett and Houston - at this late in the piece expectations are low. Both have some traits but will have to really work to stay on the list.

Why didn't we take a KPF or ruck? Were there any of quality available at our picks? Maybe Skinner but that would mean missing out on Johnson and he is a risk following his knee injury. Do we actually need a KPP/Ruck considering that we may have Lobbe, Butcher, O'Shea and Clurey all playing SANFL with Frampton and Austin maybe capable of stepping up also?

So I think we have nailed the trade and draft periods. Minimal lost, huge potential gains and have made the best of what was available to us in the draft.

Refusing to watch highlight packages but from everything I've read I'm hoping that Johnson is a forward version of Impey.
Good small forward are usually picked up in his draft range.
Fingers crossed.

Complete crap, no way we would had picked him up at 12. Great get at 37 but let's settle down.

The club said they had him #11 on their list so theres a chance we could have picked him with our first rounder. Chances are a few others ahead of him would have fallen to our pick though.

The club said they had him #11 on their list so theres a chance we could have picked him with our first rounder. Chances are a few others ahead of him would have fallen to our pick though.

When we say 'we had him #11 on our list', does that 'list' include the likes of Weitering/Schache etc who we would know have zero chance of falling to our pick? #11 on our list might just mean the best player we had a somewhat realistic chance of getting, not the 11th best player overall.

When we say 'we had him #11 on our list', does that 'list' include the likes of Weitering/Schache etc who we would know have zero chance of falling to our pick? #11 on our list might just mean the best player we had a somewhat realistic chance of getting, not the 11th best player overall.
I think it was actually number 11 on our list.

11th overall of every player eligible in the draft.

I think it includes Weitering etc. I believe Chris Davies touched on this during trade week when the draft was being discussed. He said they have their own bat-cave at Alberton with closely held draft/list management related stuff in it. Stating there is a list of players they want from first to last - regardless of whether we think they will be available or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it includes Weitering etc. I believe Chris Davies touched on this during trade week when the draft was being discussed. He said they have their own bat-cave at Alberton with closely held draft/list management related stuff in it. Stating there is a list of players they want from first to last - regardless of whether we think they will be available or not.
It's almost like we didn't trade out our first pick at all :)

It would be 11th overall. Every club when coming up with their talent list would still include every player just in case something happens.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't have been picked up by a club with pick 3 or later in the draft if he slid to them.

We didn't interview Ollie Wines. Just because you don't expect to get the player, doesn't mean you don't rate/ rank them.
Not really what I meant. Just pointing out that if they are such a certainty of going too 2. Some clubs won't bother interviewing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back