Essendon top up players - Who's available?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would they need a forward to help Daniher a Grimley or Lisle perhaps
Not really. Our forward line is basically unchanged, need big bodied mids mostly, and a ruckman.

I reckon from recently delisted afl players that would PLAY and Essendon would want:

M. Golby
R. Crowley
J. Polkinghorn
J. Redden
J. Simpkin
S. Dwyer
N. Holman
M. Fuller

I think players like cross, Lake, Kelly, stokes, etc... Are a pipe dream. They won't want to play again at Essendon.

I think the other players will be VFL/WAFL/SANFL/NEAFL players that want a crack.

Last edited:
For me, this component (top up players) is the only silver lining to this whole drug fiasco.

There are many players who don't get a chance in the current AFL system that could well be up to it and this is their second chance.

I truly believe some players will prove themselves good enough and will be picked up by clubs when the ban is finished. Even if not, state and local leaguers will have renewed hope of playing AFL with some given the chance to see if they are good enough, if only for a year. Great underdog story that happens only in the movies.

For those thinking that none will get near it - Hawthorn have drafted two mature agers in recent years from state leagues - Isaac Smith and Paul Puopolo. Both players are best 22 in the best side in the league so it is definitely possible. Before that, Stewie Dew returned from retirement and was key to a flag and before that Sam Mitchell came from the VFL and became Hawthorn's 2nd best mid of all time! Other clubs would have similar examples (Barlow springs immediately to mind).

We could see a stronger AFL in 2017 (and an intriguing 2016 draft) following some unearthed mature age talent.

Don't know what they need exactly but my bet would be something like:

Polkinghorne
Kelly
Crowley
C Jones
J Simpkin
Golby
Redden or Jamar

Less likely but possible:

O'Brien or Kavanagh
Tipungwuti
Marigliani or Magner
T Simpkin
Harper
Petrenko

A midfield of Kelly+Crowley+Jones+Simpkin+Magner+whoever is left on their list would be pretty tough to play against. Not world-beaters but tough.

I reckon from recently delisted afl players that would PLAY and Essendon would want:

J. Polkinghorn
J. Simpkin
S. Dwyer

I think the other players will be VFL/WAFL/SANFL/NEAFL players that want a crack.

I think those three would be decent signings under the circumstances. Only role players at AFL level but mature bodies and could take the heat for their draftees.

Can see us jagging wins against Carlton,Brisbane,Melbourne and maybe GC and that's about it.

Sorry to say mate, but you're not beating anyone. An already bottom 4 side minus the likes of Heppell Hurley Hooker Watson Hibberd Stanton, not to mention Carlise.

For your own sake, and the sake of other supporters, I hope the rise back to competitiveness is a quick one, but next year will be tough. Stick by the club because you'll have a bunch of players wanting to prove themselves!

As for top ups, well Holman deserves to and should be picked up, as well as your obvious ones like Polkinghorne and Jones.

Would love to see the bombers take a punt on some raw talent with something special. What do they have to lose?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see us jagging wins against Carlton,Brisbane,Melbourne and maybe GC and that's about it.

Even our shitty year last year when we were hit by so many injuries that it almost rivalled the suspensions for Essendon, we still beat Port Adelaide and the Doggies. Carlton beat Port Adelaide as well. You might well only win four games, as seems pretty common these days for the worst teams, but there's a fair chance you'll pull at least one upset over a top 10 team. I don't think you'll be as bad as the GWS and GC teams when they first joined the comp, for example.

Can't see this one panning out. Cross has a coaching gig at Melbourne, which he would not want to ruin for 1 year at Essendon. Lake stated last year that he would only play with Hawthorn at the top level. I am sure enough cash could change Lake's mind, but can Essendon pay that much? Not from what I understand.
They have to pay 95% of their salary cap. I think most fans would prefer to see a 3 time premiership player get paid 400k than Nick Kommer.

Already on the rookie list.

They were planning on using Hooker as a forward however. Wouldn't mind giving Grimley a shot.
Nah. They were planning on using him in defence but had him training part time forward.

Sorry to say mate, but you're not beating anyone. An already bottom 4 side minus the likes of Heppell Hurley Hooker Watson Hibberd Stanton, not to mention Carlise.

For your own sake, and the sake of other supporters, I hope the rise back to competitiveness is a quick one, but next year will be tough. Stick by the club because you'll have a bunch of players wanting to prove themselves!

As for top ups, well Holman deserves to and should be picked up, as well as your obvious ones like Polkinghorne and Jones.

Would love to see the bombers take a punt on some raw talent with something special. What do they have to lose?

Why would next year be tough?

Mathew WATSON 's available !!
Deserves a shot if Brown, McKernan Hartley are going to be their KPP. Dyed in the wool Bomber. Uncle is the footy manager.

Brad Walsh would be OK if they need an inside mid with the build to play straight away. Won the Northern Blues B & F and played three senior games last year.

Deserves a shot if Brown, McKernan Hartley are going to be their KPP. Dyed in the wool Bomber. Uncle is the footy manager.

Brad Walsh would be OK if they need an inside mid with the build to play straight away. Won the Northern Blues B & F and played three senior games last year.
Except all three of those are 20x the player Watson is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back