Essendon top up players - Who's available?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Now that we know that 12 Essendon players have been suspended, it's been widely assumed that the AFL will allow them to bring in top up players to fill out their list for the 2016 season.

They're going to be missing a lot of height, with Hooker, Hurley, Pears and Bellchambers out. Their midfield is going to be weakened, with Watson, Heppell, Stanton, Colyer, Howlett and Hocking. Then there's the utilities in Myers and Hibberd.

So who is out there in the state and local leagues that could be useful to them as a team? Ex-AFL guys? Guys who've never gotten a shot?

James Polkinghorne. Was one of their top up players during the Nab Cup. Has played 94 AFL games with the Lions and played for the Bombers VFL team this year and quite well I believe. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't one of them.

James Polkinghorne. Was one of their top up players during the Nab Cup. Has played 94 AFL games with the Lions and played for the Bombers VFL team this year and quite well I believe. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't one of them.
Was probably going to be VFL captain this season.
Robert Warnock could replace Bellchambers?
Hearing Jarrad Redden or Nick Meese

What about all the other clubs like Doggies saints dees?
Port probably re-sign Redden and get a small forward from SANFL
Bulldogs promote their best VFL player, same with Melbourne and St. Kilda look for a key defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the current Essendon rookie listed players get automatically upgraded, or do the top-ups go on to the senior list to replace the banned players.

Port probably re-sign Redden and get a small forward from SANFL
Bulldogs promote their best VFL player, same with Melbourne and St. Kilda look for a key defender.

I respectfully think Port won't resign Redden. He has signed to a SANFL team and Port have a depth Ruckman in his second year who has bulked up nicely.
I would like to see Redden play in the AFL, at one time he was the choice ruck man. I think he would be very suitable for the Bombers.

Why should they be allowed to have top up players they put themselves in this position they should just be treated like those players are injured just like the Lions and Gold Coast had too last year

So, treat the suspensions as you would injuries, what happens when some of the non-rested players get injured and EFC don't have enough players to field a team?

I respectfully think Port won't resign Redden. He has signed to a SANFL team and Port have a depth Ruckman in his second year who has bulked up nicely.
I would like to see Redden play in the AFL, at one time he was the choice ruck man. I think he would be very suitable for the Bombers.

The answer is that they can't sign Redden anyway. Non-Essendon clubs get free rookie upgrades. Essendon gets to sign some guys.

So, treat the suspensions as you would injuries, what happens when some of the non-rested players get injured and EFC don't have enough players to field a team?
Yep injuries happen mate pretty sure you'll be able to upgrade your rookies. The Lions were pretty close to having to do that last year don't know what the AFL would do if that did happen

TBF you already have quite a collection. Cooney, Bird, Leuneberger, Brown, McKernan, Gwilt.

Ah well, despite all this crap, our team will still be around in 5 years.
:thumbsu:
#enjoytassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back