Essendon top up players - Who's available?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brian Lake has ruled out a comeback in 2016. Has blown out and would find it too hard to get back in condition to play.

I am willing to bet in 15 years time Lake will be like the modern Darren Jarman

135452_342ad97db01706605000d191d944d3e7.jpg

He'd be a good player to have, so long as he can stay interested. mature very experienced head that will provide some stability.
Lake's can be a star but he's also always been a nutcase, who does incredibly stupid things when things aren't going his way. Not someone to provide stability.

James Polkinghorne
Jon Simpkin
James Kelly
Mark Jamar
Ahmed Saad
Jacob Ballard
Clint Jones
Kieren Harper
Arryn Siposs
Jarryd Petrenko

Gives them a solid mix of senior bodies (Simpkin, Jamar, Jones) and some talented youth that didn't quite make it work (the rest).

James Polkinghorne
Jon Simpkin
James Kelly
Mark Jamar
Ahmed Saad
Jacob Ballard
Clint Jones
Kieren Harper
Arryn Siposs
Jarryd Petrenko

Gives them a solid mix of senior bodies (Simpkin, Jamar, Jones) and some talented youth that didn't quite make it work (the rest).

Can't see petrenko being selected he was terrible in when he played for us last season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tony Armstrong isn't too bad. I think he would be worth a go.

He wasn't to good either. He is not the mature body/leader Essendon need. In the position he plays, you may as well play a rookie at your club.

Especially when you know you have the spoon.

Jonathon Simpkin
Tony Armstrong
Sam Grimley
Daniel Coghlan
Nick Rippon
Brett Goodes
Mark Jamar
Ben Jolley
PAUL CHAPMAN
Nick O'Brien

My chosen 10
Jamar has had it physically and he has a coaching gig. Grimley has moved to Perth. As for the rest, they may be interested. Interesting to see if any of them get snapped up by Melbourne, St, Kilda, or Port Adelaide first, as they will be able to promote a rookie and jag a replacement.

James Polkinghorne
Jon Simpkin
James Kelly
Mark Jamar
Ahmed Saad
Jacob Ballard
Clint Jones
Kieren Harper
Arryn Siposs
Jarryd Petrenko

Jamar - already mentioned him.
Ballard - interesting choice. The people in WA were very interested in keeping him over there after Freo flicked him, but that doesn't seem to have worked out. Last I heard he was back in Melbourne and could be available.
Petrenko is happy enough in Adelaide, but the opportunity could interest him.

Assuming we use all 10 I'd go with

Coghlan
J.Polkinghorne
J.Simpkin
T.Simpkin
J.Lisle
D.Cameron
J.Magner
J.Kelly
N.Rippon
N.O'Brien
Magner has retired. Don't think he'd be interested.
Kelly might be fit enough to consider a comeback.
Cameron: there has to be something amiss with this guy. He has size and athleticism, but doesn't seem to be on the horizon for most clubs. He has enough talent. I have heard that he wasn't the brightest of sparks, but that is here-say. I have never met the guy.

Assuming we use all 10 I'd go with

Coghlan
J.Polkinghorne
J.Simpkin
T.Simpkin
J.Lisle
D.Cameron
J.Magner
J.Kelly
N.Rippon
N.O'Brien

They are bog ordinary players. Kelly is ok, but he is probably done. Not sure the rest are much chop. Essendon would be better off picking a few off the cuff, go wide (NEAFL, VFL, WAFL, SANFL), surely there are some Vandenberg type players out there. The above players you mentioned are either done, or simply weren't good enough the first time around.

They are bog ordinary players. Kelly is ok, but he is probably done. Not sure the rest are much chop. Essendon would be better off picking a few off the cuff, go wide (NEAFL, VFL, WAFL, SANFL), surely there are some Vandenberg type players out there. The above players you mentioned are either done, or simply weren't good enough the first time around.

Coghlan and Polkinghorne will be the only 2 from that list I would pick

Easy to take pot shots without putting forward any of your own suggestions

Easy to take pot shots without putting forward any of your own suggestions

No, I just call it as I see it. You put forth a list of players that were either finished - or not good enough (first time around). I am not taking pot shots at you, and I cannot help it if you take it personal, but I was honest, it is only my opinion. The reasoning behind me dismissing the list you put forth, is because I think Essendon should use the unfortunate situation as an opportunity to hopefully discover a decent prospect. Now I've said that, if you feel that Essendon should take another direction, then I would respect that also.

lol damn Lake.

Ling, Scarlett, Wojo, Chapman, Kelly, Milne, Judd, Brown, Aker, Fev etc.

Essendon should make a superteam and go for the flag.

I really like the thought of Head for you guys. Yes, he's too small to play true KPB, but Hartley, Hurley and Brown can all take the bigger guys. He'd give you a bit of mongrel in the backline and could definitely protect some of the kids. Would love to see him get another chance.
Hurls is suspended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back