Opinion Who do you think are going to be the break out players in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just interested in what other posters think, so no need to justify your selections (unless you really want to :)) but in what order would you rank the players on each line (listed alphabetically) in terms of first in line to be selected (assume everyone is fit and available)

> Coghlan, Delaney, Lee, Shenton, Wright
> Carlisle, Goddard
> Dempster, Fisher, Geary
> Hickey, Holmes, Pierce
> Gilbert, Newnes, Roberton, Savage, Webster, Wright
> Curren, McKenzie, Murdoch, Templeton
> Gresham, Lonie, Sinclair
> Bruce, McCartin, Membrey
> Freeman, O'Kearney, Rice, White

Some of these are a bit hard , Like who would you select first in your Geelong finals side Garry Abblett Jr, Matthew Scarlett or Tom Hawkins. ( answer is ALL OF THEM ).
Ability Now.
Full Back: Delaney, Lee, Coghlan, Shenton , Wright. Rebounding/general defender Shenton, Wright, Lee, Coghlan, Delaney
Carlisle , Goddard
Fisher, Dempster, Geary
Hickey, Holmes, Pierce
Newnes, Gilbert, Roberton, Savage , Webster, Wright ( First 5 are very close ).
Curren, McKenzie, Templeton, Murdoch ( will vary depending on the required role ).
Sinclair , Lonie , Gresham ( Will vary depending on the required role ).
Bruce, McCartin , Membrey
Freeman, Rice, White , O'Kearney

Based on future potential.
Full Back: Coghlan, Lee, Delaney, Shenton, Wright. Rebounding Defender : Wright, Coghlan, Lee, Shenton , Delaney
Goddard, Carlisle
Geary Dempster Fisher
Hickey , Pierce , Holmes
Webster, Newnes, Roberton, Savage, Wright, Gilbert
Templeton, McKenzie, Curren, Murdoch
Lonie, Gresham, Sinclair
McCartin, Bruce, Membrey
Freeman, Rice, White, O'Kearney

> Delaney, Shenton, Lee, Coghlan, Wright
> Carlisle, Goddard
> Dempster, Fisher, Geary
> Holmes, Hickey, Pierce
> Newnes, Roberton, Savage, Webster, Gilbert, Wright
> McKenzie, Murdoch, Templeton, Curren
> Gresham, Lonie, Sinclair
> Bruce, McCartin, Membrey
> Freeman, O'Kearney, Rice, White

The big break-outs last year were probably Longer and Bruce. Probably Weller as well.

All those were a bit out of left-field, especially Bruce.

I'd like to see Wright have a break-out season. Ditto Eli. I see it a bit as someone coming from nowhere to stamp themselves on the team. Those two are coming from a fair way back at the moment.

Membrey is another who has the potential to really become a player in my opinion.

Membrey is another who has the potential to really become a player in my opinion.

I'm not sure where he sits in the pecking order but he coudl realy be something.

I have a feeling if he could have gotten his goal kicking right last year it would have improved his confidence which would have been a self-perpetuating cycle of improved form.

He came to us with what, one game to his name? Last year was pretty much his first season. Once he gets a feel for the pace and the pressure I think he can definitely be an AFL quality player... it's just a matter of getting that Roo - Bruce - McCartin - Hickey - Membrey balance right... I just don't see how they can all play in the same side.

The big break-outs last year were probably Longer and Bruce. Probably Weller as well.

All those were a bit out of left-field, especially Bruce.

I'd like to see Wright have a break-out season. Ditto Eli. I see it a bit as someone coming from nowhere to stamp themselves on the team. Those two are coming from a fair way back at the moment.

I reckon Armo was huge too. There were plenty wanted him traded but he had a huge lift in out put and was probably the form mid of the AFL three quarters of the way through the season. I thought Newnes got a bit overlooked too. Started slow and doesn't do flashy stuff but really lifted his out put.

I reckon Armo was huge too. There were plenty wanted him traded but he had a huge lift in out put and was probably the form mid of the AFL three quarters of the way through the season. I thought Newnes got a bit overlooked too. Started slow and doesn't do flashy stuff but really lifted his out put.
Imagine if Richmond had got their way, and he'd played like that for for them.

No love for Lonie ?
He is a very clever little player. I reckon he will again do some great things and
become a big threat around goal. He may not have the polish of Billings but he has some tricks and real footy smarts.
Love this kid.

No love for Lonie ?
He is a very clever little player. I reckon he will again do some great things and
become a big threat around goal. He may not have the polish of Billings but he has some tricks and real footy smarts.
Love this kid.

I reckon Lonie will be a superstar long term, I never back in a second year player to make a quantum leap though, the second year training ramps up a lot and it's very difficult to back it up. He is more tip rat style opportunist than a guy who relies on class to do what he does but he has got some x factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No love for Lonie ?
Love this kid.

Got to agree, apparently didn't have much of a pre season last year as well. The kid is just a natural footballer. A replicate between Milne and Schneider.

Luke Dunstan will go to another level

If Dunstan and Ross can both go to another level, we'd be a great chance on improving on last year. Some durable midfield presence would obviously take a lot of pressure off the rest of the team, and would allow for far more astute use of our younger guys. Acres, Dmac & Gresham would really benefit if their main focus wasn't constantly trying to combat an onslaught.

If Dunstan, Ross and Billings can set the example for the less tried lot, week-in-week-out, it would add to a great development culture, and we will be rolling in no time.

Lonie and Webster may also dish out a few surprises with their progression.

It's asking a lot for our 21-24 year olds to start controlling games, but with a recruiting emphasis on character, let's hope we can fast track our rise. Showing potential recruits that we have something special forming may be the sealer...

Last edited:
If Dunstan and Ross can both go to another level, we'd be a great chance on improving on last year. Some durable midfield presence would obviously take a lot of pressure off the rest of the team, and would allow for far more astute use of our younger guys. Acres, Dmac & Gresham would really benefit if their main focus wasn't constantly trying to combat an onslaught.

If Dunstan, Ross and Billings can set the example for the less tried lot, week-in-week-out, it would add to a great development culture, and we will be rolling in no time.

Lonie and Webster may also dish out a few surprises with their progression.

It's asking a lot for our 21-24 year olds to start controlling games, but with a recruiting emphasis on character, let's hope we can fast track our rise. Showing potential recruits that we have something special forming may be the sealer...
Billings acres and Dunstan are who I believe based off pre season will go to another level.

Goddard mccartin to show improvement

If we are going to jump a few rungs up the ladder, then we need some improvement in the midfield and onball. I think Dustan needs a big season, and need more from Newnes who will be great if he can get consistency in his game. I think we will see Roberton and Hickey improve and be more established players. Expecting improvement from many of the young guys who got a game in 2015

If we are going to jump a few rungs up the ladder, then we need some improvement in the midfield and onball. I think Dustan needs a big season, and need more from Newnes who will be great if he can get consistency in his game. I think we will see Roberton and Hickey improve and be more established players. Expecting improvement from many of the young guys who got a game in 2015

Newnes has been pretty consistent last season, i think the main issue is that he needs to be a bit more involved and start getting into the high 20 disposal range instead of just getting 20's. Roberton is easily a best 18 player, and i do agree with you on Hickey however.

Got to agree, apparently didn't have much of a pre season last year as well. The kid is just a natural footballer. A replicate between Milne and Schneider.

I see him as more of a complete footballer than Milne, and more dangerous in front of the goals than Schneider.
Milne was pure and simply a freak goal kicker. He may have only got his hand on it 5 times , but he kicked 2 goals.
Lonie is more of a ball winner.
Next Brent Harvey?

I see him as more of a complete footballer than Milne, and more dangerous in front of the goals than Schneider.
Milne was pure and simply a freak goal kicker. He may have only got his hand on it 5 times , but he kicked 2 goals.
Lonie is more of a ball winner.
Next Brent Harvey?

He looks to have the Goal sneak ability of Milne (not as good but not many were) with the way he can move in that forward 50 and also the natural football brain of Schneider. It will be interesting if he is able to push up into the midfield ala brent harvey.. I was thinking more of a Lachie Neale (fingers crossed)

Newnes has been pretty consistent last season, i think the main issue is that he needs to be a bit more involved and start getting into the high 20 disposal range instead of just getting 20's. Roberton is easily a best 18 player, and i do agree with you on Hickey however.

Newnes total disposals didn't increase much from 2014 to 2015, and he actually got 25 or more , less last season.
What is good news is that he got more contested ball, and had double the number of clearances.

He looks to have the Goal sneak ability of Milne (not as good but not many were) with the way he can move in that forward 50 and also the natural football brain of Schneider. It will be interesting if he is able to push up into the midfield ala brent harvey.. I was thinking more of a Lachie Neale (fingers crossed)

His TAC highlights show him plenty of the way up the ground. :D
( Totally irrelevant i checked out Milney's highlights again. Some of that stuff STILL looks totally impossible. He was a total freak ).

Newnes total disposals didn't increase much from 2014 to 2015, and he actually got 25 or more , less last season.
What is good news is that he got more contested ball, and had double the number of clearances.

Yea he seems to be able to accumulate them, but he is not damaging enough (can be with his kicking). At the end of the game you look at the stat sheet and it says he got 25 but you only really notice a handful of those. Its hard to explain, but they for a guy who gets it 25 times he does do enough damage with his kicking even though he is a really good user by foot.

His TAC highlights show him plenty of the way up the ground. :D
( Totally irrelevant i checked out Milney's highlights again. Some of that stuff STILL looks totally impossible. He was a total freak ).
Milne was a freak and doesn't get the accolades he deserves. One of the best pure smalls forwards of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back