News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got a little trouble with the talks of suing for compensation. They are still getting paid after all. Aren't they? Surely there is significant case of contributory negligence on their own behalf. That's what the CAS panel found anyway. I'm not sure the players have the right to claim complete innocence any more. Too many unbelievable stories about Vitamin B shots, failure to fill out doping forms etc for mine. Surely it has to at least reduce any compensation claims they have.

It won't come to that imo anyway. They'll put in a massive claim. The club certainly don't want to go to court over it and the players will receive a tidy settlement. Insurance will probably pay for it and the AFL will then try and convince us that it actually never happened
Many of the factors you raise will be considered when compensation $ are being discussed
But the fact remains Essendon was found guilty of "failing to provide for employees a workplace that is safe and without risks to health" on that basis they will be forced to pay up

Many of the factors you raise will be considered when compensation $ are being discussed
But the fact remains Essendon was found guilty of "failing to provide for employees a workplace that is safe and without risks to health" on that basis they will be forced to pay up
I've got no doubt that they'll be forced to pay up. They'll do it off their own back to avoid the matter going through the courts. There is too much dirty laundry to risk coming out if even one of those 34 decide they want to start flinging mud around. Essendon are like a prison bitch at the moment. Bent over and copping it from all angles

Did anybody hear Luke Beveridge speak on the issue? I feel dumber for the experience. It was worse than Balmy's crap on the same station. This AFL endorsed 'messaging' (and now a couple of politicians are getting involved) is embarrassing for our sport and in fact the country.

If the code, and it seems some are trying to set it up this way, leaves WADA, what a dilemma. My preference would be to kiss the code goodbye but being a Pies supporter that would be impossible. So will be stuck in a code that would require constant showering every time another drug test was treated by the AFL with the phrase ...'the poor players, they are so brave.'

Meanwhile an appeal based on something flimsy. How stupid are the players to continually allow those that actually don't have their best interests in mind, use them to decrease their liability or for their own agenda.

Rant over.

Did anybody hear Luke Beveridge speak on the issue? I feel dumber for the experience. It was worse than Balmy's crap on the same station. This AFL endorsed 'messaging' (and now a couple of politicians are getting involved) is embarrassing for our sport and in fact the country.

If the code, and it seems some are trying to set it up this way, leaves WADA, what a dilemma. My preference would be to kiss the code goodbye but being a Pies supporter that would be impossible. So will be stuck in a code that would require constant showering every time another drug test was treated by the AFL with the phrase ...'the poor players, they are so brave.'

Meanwhile an appeal based on something flimsy. How stupid are the players to continually allow those that actually don't have their best interests in mind, use them to decrease their liability or for their own agenda.

Rant over.

Yep, yet more boys club stupidity:

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/western-...ce-of-essendon-34-on-3aw-20160211-gmrwtr.html

Stewie is obviously a good bloke...

l wonder if the afl players and coaches got much grey matter at all, because they don't
seem to under stand the process and the out come at all and which why Essendon and their players
are in the position that there in.

l wonder if the afl players and coaches got much grey matter at all, because they don't
seem to under stand the process and the out come at all and which why Essendon and their players
Many ex-players make great Coaches, but that doesn't automatically make them smart
So much crap (deliberate false stories) has been spoken and written about this that many people believe things which have been proven to be untrue

We are into our 4th year on this and still people refuse to do as little as 1 hour of research which would substantially educate themselves to a point they could understand it and then dismiss the constantly circulating bullshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many ex-players make great Coaches, but that doesn't automatically make them smart
So much crap (deliberate false stories) has been spoken and written about this that many people believe things which have been proven to be untrue

We are into our 4th year on this and still people refuse to do as little as 1 hour of research which would substantially educate themselves to a point they could understand it and then dismiss the constantly circulating bullshit
agree totally . soon as l read that the player lied or refuse to reveal all to asada in their interviews it was game over

What they understand is the culture that the player do what they are told and are in it together. That is what their comments are illustrating and that's why they don't hold the Essendon players accountable.

What they understand is the culture that the player do what they are told and are in it together. That is what their comments are illustrating and that's why they don't hold the Essendon players accountable.

If that sort of culture still exists it can only do so within poor clubs. Most clubs actually give players a voice and include them in most decisions. They are comments for those looking for an out for the players.

It is great that sort of attitude within a toxic club has been called to account by both CAS and some outside of such a toxic environment.

Last edited:
there is no excuse for ignorance these days from any one in club land, and when it comes to drugs the clubs provide they are told it is a individual
matter and to think for your self, team culture has nothing to do with it. unless they are sheep or brain dead.
and l understand there out dated ideas about Essendon players, and unfortunately because it still exist this will happen again
before they realise what they are doing is illegal

there is no excuse for ignorance these days from any one in club land, and when it comes to drugs the clubs provide they are told it is a individual
matter and to think for your self, team culture has nothing to do with it. unless they are sheep or brain dead.
and l understand there out dated ideas about Essendon players, and unfortunately because it still exist this will happen again
before they realise what they are doing is illegal
How anyone involved in a club environment at this level can say that the players are allowed to have a level of ignorance when I assume every year they are required to attend drug awareness sessions is beyond me. But once again, we have another example of the mentality at club level that wants to endorse ignorance and deny responsibility.

It's breathtaking!!!

Still don't understand how the players think that they will, or can, escape punishment after withholding information about off site injections.
This is now a fact. And there isn't a court in the world that accepts concealment of evidence as a positive thing for the defense.
It's breathtaking, right.

... But once again, we have another example of the mentality at club level that wants to endorse ignorance and deny responsibility.
It's breathtaking!!!
Wow - just wrote those exact words to someone else too.
After all this time has passed, they still don't seem to accept their part in it.

If that sort of culture still exists it can only do so within poor clubs. Most clubs actually give players a voice and include them in most decisions. They are comments for those looking for an out for the players.

It is great that sort of attitude within a toxic club has been called to account by both CAS and some outside of such a toxic environment.
According to Nick Maxwell he did and took whatever he was told to by the club without question. Players trusted clubs at least until 2012. All I am saying is that this is the context within which players don't hold the Essendon players accountable.

According to Nick Maxwell he did and took whatever he was told to by the club without question. Players trusted clubs at least until 2012. All I am saying is that this is the context within which players don't hold the Essendon players accountable.
yes but its 3years going on 4 years later, that mentality now does not cut it. 2012 may be, even then the rules are clear but for coaches and others to hold
that opinion now .........

But what would you expect today Mark?
You would think senior people like Balme (although he has recanted since his embarrassing statements) and Beveridge would now fully understand their obligations and more particularly, the rules with which they are bound.
Yet it seems they still don't get it....why do you think that is?

Understand the context but it is a furphy. In regards to your Maxwell comments, let's not confuse regular supplements with an injection regime the likes the players had never seen before and were shocked by, according to Jobe.

But what would you expect today Mark?
You would think senior people like Balme (although he has recanted since his embarrassing statements) and Beveridge would now fully understand their obligations and more particularly, the rules with which they are bound.
Yet it seems they still don't get it....why do you think that is?
If we are talking about comments re Essendon players then it is only relevant what position they would have been in at the time if current players/coaches are commenting on their view toward those Essendon players. Hopefully everyone is more educated now. I'd be amazed if a programme like Essendon's ever happened again for that reason but you never know I guess. I was just commenting on the basis for "within industry" sympathy for the Essendon players. It is very widespread if not universal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back