Cars & Transportation People who never get a driving licence

Remove this Banner Ad

That's me in a nutshell. Never felt comfortable driving, yet still got my Ps. After my mum died I fell into a deep depression, started drinking heavily (that has since now ceased). As a result back then I would often drive drunk (I know, I know, I was a dick head). Was caught by the police in a RBT and my Ps cancelled. Never applied for my license again. I just never felt comfortable driving. Thankfully all my work places have been easy to get to by bus/train, and now with Uber I can go to the odd place that I couldn't now quite easily. Maybe one day I will drive again.
Mate if you posted this on the Eagles board we might lay off you a bit.

If you don't have a license you don't have the same perception as people who do.

Non-drivers often have that 'well they're already driving' air about them.
I think it depends. I have a mate like that who is starting to become a pain in the arse and doesn't seem to realise it. Can almost never come around for beers at mine because he's got no way of getting home easily the next day.

It's fine if they're aware of the issues not driving brings and they make sure they live somewhere close to public transport.

People in my age group are pretty shocking if they're without a licence though in Melbourne. They're constantly making things far more timely than they should be. Their parents drive them and they live in suburbs where public transport makes getting around pretty timely.

what age group is that, may I ask?

Just asking because Melbourne would have to be the easiest city to live in without a license
18-25 I guess. The age where most still live at home.

I can get to the city and surrounding areas fairly easily, but other areas of Melbourne make for a lengthy public transport trip. I'm hardly living in the sticks either.

what age group is that, may I ask?

Just asking because Melbourne would have to be the easiest city to live in without a license

as much as some folks complain about PT... at least its there and runs fairly regularly.... the longest one would wait for PT would be 30 minutes tops (late night and Sundays)

try using PT in the U.S. ... outside New York City, it's an absolute joke... one train every hour or 2 in some suburbs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne has a pretty extensive PT system and the city is laid out well. Like most places the train system is designed from a central hub outwards, so you get those awkward middle distance journeys where it's a train in and out to get where you could just drive in 10-20 min. It's still a good place to live without a car, and it's not like every person in London lives right next to a tube stop that takes them to their workplace within 5 min. Plenty of people catch multiple tube lines to get where they need to be.

gough.JPG gough2.JPG
consider.gif

Got my drivers licence at 17, apart from the trams the public transport network here is terrible (although at least the prices are now semi-reasonable).

Having said that if it wasn't compulsory for me to have a car for work (I'm contractually obligated to drive for my work) and had a set location job next to public transport, I probably would sell off my car and move near somewhere where I could conveniently catch PT to work, OOL airport and Lions games (the last two being the only times I use PT in SEQ).

With the people who I know that "don't drive" the ones that live in Queensland are the "need to be driven everywhere"types, while the people who I know who don't drive in Melbourne always use public transport and the guy who hosts me when I go to Adelaide lives right next to the tramline

I think it really depends where you live and work. I live and work in inner Melbourne on a tram line. I have a licence, but don't drive during the week- and not a huge amount on weekends. I fill up the car only around once every 6 weeks or so. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth getting rid of so don't need to pay rego- I am lucky to be in a financial situation where I can afford it.

I can see why someone would choose not to bother with a car, pay rego if you have good access to PT. Especially now with Uber and rides being so accesible. Hopefully it means there will be less traffic.

I think it really depends where you live and work. I live and work in inner Melbourne on a tram line. I have a licence, but don't drive during the week- and not a huge amount on weekends. I fill up the car only around once every 6 weeks or so. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth getting rid of so don't need to pay rego- I am lucky to be in a financial situation where I can afford it.

I can see why someone would choose not to bother with a car, pay rego if you have good access to PT. Especially now with Uber and rides being so accesible. Hopefully it means there will be less traffic.

This is all fine, I'm in a similar boat. Minimising driving is cost effective, good for stress management and good for the environment. I spend about $40 a week on PT getting to and from work, and about $15 (on average) on fuel for the car for everything else. If I drove to work I'd probably be better off in terms of the extra cost of fuel vs not paying for PT, but then I'd run up an extra 5-10,000km on the car each year and the cost of parking would be more than the cost of fuel and PT put together.

Even if you don't have a car, having a license is like $30 a year. If you want to rent a mini-truck to move house you can. If you want to rent a car to drive to the country you can. If you go on a road trip you can share driving. People who can't drive can't do any of these things.

Back when I was younger, it was very unusual to find somebody unable to ride a bicycle but I am not sure if this is still the case today.

Is it becoming more common among kids, teenagers and young adults to find people who have never learned to ride a bike?

Back when I was younger, it was very unusual to find somebody unable to ride a bicycle but I am not sure if this is still the case today.

Is it becoming more common among kids, teenagers and young adults to find people who have never learned to ride a bike?
Surely one of life's bare minimum requirements is learning to ride a bike?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back