Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool story, Obamas 'playbook' could have seen double the amount of deaths, just because there was one doesn't mean it would have been more effective than what the US has done now.

Im no Obama fan but to be fair from all reports I’ve read the Obama administration was petrified of an Ebola outbreak in 2014/15 and did a s**t load of crisis management

That said, no one really knows how he would have gone with Covid-19

The bending over backwards to defend Trump here is Olympics gold medal worthy. The US response has been objectively bad, but apparently a hypothetical Obama government with an actual response team would have been worse? Is that what you're going with?
Thank you for helping make my point, Obama's administration having a playbook means nothing, it has just created another avenue for people to attack Trump.

We're not going back dude, it's over and in two weeks when my kids return to school my life is back to normal so happy days.

You're naive if you think there's no scenario in which restrictions are re-imposed on people.

I hope we don't see an increase in numbers to warrant it, but there's most definitely a scenario where we go straight back to where we were if it takes off within the community.

Why does our stupid Government have to piss China off now when our economy is on its knees? If our economy is going to recover over the next few years we NEED Chinese tourists, Chinese buying our exports, Chinese students ect but our moronic Government thinks a politically based investigation that will uncover literally nothing is a good idea when no other country in the world other than America is pushing for it now.

Idiots.
heck China

Along with a hole heap of other things......like 100 years of inventions/medical equipment/advances in medical treatments etc......

May as well compare it to dinosaurs being wiped out by an asteroid

Just think of the deaths, ventilators weren't around back then - so everyone now who has needed one and survived, gone.

Easy to say when you won't lose your job or your business when China starts a trade war with us.

Or maybe you just have no understanding of how crippling it will be for our entire economy... that's probably it.
You know what will really cripple our economy?

A more dangerous China.

You're naive if you think there's no scenario in which restrictions are re-imposed on people.

I hope we don't see an increase in numbers to warrant it, but there's most definitely a scenario where we go straight back to where we were if it takes off within the community.
Not naive just using common sense.

As time passes we will just treat this virus like any other virus out there, the OCD cleaning by shops will die off, the media will stop talking about it, the governments will turn their attention to worrying about getting elected and people will move on.

Im no Obama fan but to be fair from all reports I’ve read the Obama administration was petrified of an Ebola outbreak in 2014/15 and did a s**t load of crisis management

That said, no one really knows how he would have gone with Covid-19
Nobody and i mean nobody could worse that what the Fat Boy is doing

Last edited:
Not naive just using common sense.

As time passes we will just treat this virus like any other virus out there, the OCD cleaning by shops will die off, the media will stop talking about it, the governments will turn their attention to worrying about getting elected and people will move on.

If (god forbid) we ever get to a UK style situation that ain't happening.

If the virus remains at this level - single to double digit cases every day, hospitals well able to cope, then sure there will be relaxation and the focus will be on other things - but any escalation will see a redoubling of efforts at containment and hygiene, guaranteed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the postings of Trumptards, so deliciously batshit crazy.
giphy.gif

China has already launched the first warning shot of a trade war. They would be quite comfortable with a trade war with Australia. They may even think it a good thing, and start one deliberately. It certainly will not take much to get them to start one.

If one starts for real, its only months before Australia is economically bought to its knees, and people are protesting for the government to do something to fix it. Chinas people will barely notice its happened. The reason China might be more than willing for this to happen is as an expression of an overt threat. Piss us of, and this is what happens, and the US cannot, and will not, do anything about it.

As people keep pointing out, this is a totalitarian state, they dont give a fu** about how much harm they do to the Australian economy, or how much people suffer.

Australia is now in a difficult position. Trump has shown the US cannot be trusted to act rationally. I have no faith a Trump government would do anything to help Australia, if Trump didn't see it in his interests. Even if he loses the next election, the fact they elected him, and he still retains support means someone like him could be elected in the future The days of trusting in a US hegemony are over

The illusion that China is a modernising and moderating power, becoming more like 'us' over time has been shown to be an illusion. They are a totalitarian state, and will act like that if they so choose.

What people seem to forget is, that means they may act that way towards us. They are already trying to control shipping in important international waterways China acting to cut off Australian trade with a blockade, while not remotely likely in the short to medium term, is not impossible.

Just cutting off trade with them to a degree that cripples Australia is entirely possible.

The likelihood that enough resource rich countries would stand up to them to make Australian resources indispensable are really low imop. We are convenient for China, but not essential.

Willie Brandt coined the term Realpolitik when dealing with East Germany and Russia. You have to deal with the situation as it is, not as you wish it to be. We are not taking on China over Covid. We are not overtly criticising them, we are not pushing for an international investigation, we are not embargoing Chinese goods. People here saying we should are like an old man in a row boat shaking their fists at a passing aircraft Carrier, shouting out threats.

What we should do, is double our order of Submarines, and get a couple more air warfare destroyers.

We shouldn't bow down to China no matter what. And the fact you are advocating us do so brings questions to your loyalty to your country or the dollar

You seem really impressed with the CCP who gave us this virus and brought the world to its knees already with a 10 trillion dollar debt

If so impressed I'll be the first to donate a plane or boat ticket to get you there.

You in? I'll put up $100.00

Yeah mate, starting a trade war with China is EXACTLY what our farmers want...

Oh wait, no, it's the exact opposite of what they want...

And yet you don't care about the other businesses that have been destroyed to the tune of 10 percent of GDP over a little flu...

Half the death rate of most European conutries including UK so there must be a few candidates?

The US was at a quarter of the death rate of most European countries two weeks ago.

Their active cases are struggling to flatten at the moment unlike Italy, Spain and France which have definitely flattened. By the end, they will reach parity with the big three, guaranteed.

Why does our stupid Government have to piss China off now when our economy is on its knees? If our economy is going to recover over the next few years we NEED Chinese tourists, Chinese buying our exports, Chinese students ect but our moronic Government thinks a politically based investigation that will uncover literally nothing is a good idea when no other country in the world other than America is pushing for it now.

Idiots.

It is a balancing act.

I agree we need to approach the Chinese relationship in a very measured way, the last thing we want is to enforce the CCP to stop their students coming here and stop their citizens visiting, we also want to ensure they remain a strong trade partner in terms of our exports. With that said, we absolutely have to act in a way that shows we are not simply going to turn a blind eye, however, it is silly to act in any way publicly that would belittle or embarrass the CCP. We need to act in the shadows, publicly stay mutual, privately encourage local business to take manufacturing away from China and work behind the scenes to ensure our supply lines are not reliant solely on foreign states like China.

SCOMO has done a commendable job, I have no doubt his performance would be held in higher regard if it wasn't for rogue state premieres who enjoy the grandstanding and pushing back on commonwealth directives.

Time will tell how we come out of this, but I think we will look back (if we arent already) and realise how big of an overreaction this was and how we were hoodwinked by the alarmist commentary and MSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back