Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have picked Henry first. Picking Bruhn is not good for Bowes, knevitt, Stephens and our other fringe midfielders.
Breaking into the Geelong forward line in 2023 will still be harder than becoming one of the 6 or 7 mids rotations. Especially when Hawkins and Rohan (the two oldest in the forward line) don't really get rested, whereas in midfield Selwood is gone and Danger will be managed. GF day 2 of the bench spots were for midfielders and so was the selected sub.

Talk about click bait headline - not even a single mention of Stephens in the article

RIVAL INTEREST IN STEPHENS

Rival clubs have identified Cooper Stephens as a target ahead of next Wednesday’s trade deadline, with the young Cat set to fall further down the midfield pecking order, reports AFL Media.

It comes with Geelong likely to bring in Jack Bowes from Gold Cold Coast and Tanner Bruhn from GWS to add to Geelong’s on-ball unit that was already without Brandon Parfitt and Sam Menegola in the grand final due to a selection squeeze.

835753_640x360_large_20221006173237.jpg

'Best or worst thing' for Rankine | 03:49

Stephens, who’s got another year to run on his contract, was drafted by Geelong with Pick 16 in the 2019 draft, but a broken leg hampered his start to his career and he only played seven games this season.
Dual All-Australian Leigh Montagna urged rival clubs to pursue the 21-year old bid-bodied midfielder.
“He’s a bit of a risk but there’s a diamond in the rough. I think now he’s a long way down the pecking at the Cats and is gettable,” the Saints legend said on Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

RIVAL INTEREST IN STEPHENS

Rival clubs have identified Cooper Stephens as a target ahead of next Wednesday’s trade deadline, with the young Cat set to fall further down the midfield pecking order, reports AFL Media.

It comes with Geelong likely to bring in Jack Bowes from Gold Cold Coast and Tanner Bruhn from GWS to add to Geelong’s on-ball unit that was already without Brandon Parfitt and Sam Menegola in the grand final due to a selection squeeze.

835753_640x360_large_20221006173237.jpg

'Best or worst thing' for Rankine | 03:49

Stephens, who’s got another year to run on his contract, was drafted by Geelong with Pick 16 in the 2019 draft, but a broken leg hampered his start to his career and he only played seven games this season.
Dual All-Australian Leigh Montagna urged rival clubs to pursue the 21-year old bid-bodied midfielder.
“He’s a bit of a risk but there’s a diamond in the rough. I think now he’s a long way down the pecking at the Cats and is gettable,” the Saints legend said on Fox Footy’s Trading Day.
cheers

doesn't really say much though does it

Who is the most deluded campaigner in Footy? And why did you choose Andrew Mackie?

If we can grab pick 33 for Sav, we could move pick 33, 38 & 48 to Brisbane for 25, 56 & 73. Lions get an extra 350 odd points for Ashcroft without having to find an extra list spot, and the Cats send 25 and a sweetener (future 3rd maybe) to Collingwood to for Henry. The Lions pick 21 might appeal more to Collingwood, however, they may want to keep that to give to the Dogs, along with their future 1st, for Dunkley.

We then keep our future 1st and send future 2nd to GC for Bowes.

Nice pick up, very good future projection, he will battle for midfield time and after one full season he will be right in the mix. It's important to get real competition in the midfield spots, it's the engine room for success, I wouldn't worry about who amongst our young core misses out, it's the quality of those blokes who ultimately make it that matters.

Is Cooper Stephens and pick 38 for Ollie Henry a fair deal? Collingwood going after Mitchell as they want inside mid which Cooper is (with longer runway) - so they might look at him? They don’t want a Sav type player?

From our perspective are we giving up too much potential? For 2023 I can see it not impacting us (given what we have coming in) but what about longer term?

I wonder if Geelong are saying to Sav, look we'll help facilitate a trade but Port are going to be hard to deal with as they can't give us what we need.

Collingwood on the other hand, are perhaps more likely to show interest if we wave Sav in front of them as part of discussions on Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving up 18 now takes away our ability to take Henry in the ND if Collingwood stand their ground. Guess that was never on the table then.

Thats a last ditch hail mary anyway.

If we can trade for a pick in the early 20's ...he compare with what we got for Clark ... and if it went into a trade dispute resolution... they would look at the contractual offer to Henry

Anything in the early 20's with a bit back late is about right

I wonder if Geelong are saying to Sav, look we'll help facilitate a trade but Port are going to be hard to deal with as they can't give us what we need.

Collingwood on the other hand, are perhaps more likely to show interest if we wave Sav in front of them as part of discussions on Henry.
Was thinking the same but not sure Collingwood want a Sav type player (unless they see him as a forward again?). Might be an interesting next few days

Yep but made me click!

i am interested that he hasn’t been mentioned more. I was aware that hawks were interested but he appears to be determined to back himself to get into best 22. I wouldn’t be shocked though if something out of the blue happens

Thats interesting re cooper and the hawks. I can see him fitting there IF mitchell goes to pies.
If we could get their current or future 2nd for cooper (i know we would need to send some of our later picks back with him) that would get henry done (as hawks will be bottom 8 again next year) so id do it if he wanted to go but if he wants to fight for best 22 im happy to keep him.

We will get him. We wont leave him hanging.
If we are going to try to keep the future 1st sav has to go to try and get us a higher 2nd for henry.

I think we've already made the decision to keep our Future 1st, so we can get the Bowes deal done today, IMO. Said we were meeting GC on Friday, so no reason we don't just hand over the Future 2nd and get Bowes and Pick 7 over the line - and then figure out Henry and Sav during the remaining days.

Makes sense to me, as all along Mack has basically insinuated that this was not on our radar, so Henry is the last priority of the 3. Get your first 2 priorities out of the way, then deal with the last one with the time you have left. Also puts more pressure on Collingwood to accept unders, as we've got nothing else to worry about.

Very Wells'esque all this, haha. Everyone else is playing checkers, while we're playing 3D chess

Was thinking the same but not sure Collingwood want a Sav type player (unless they see him as a forward again?). Might be an interesting next few days

I think they have enough fwds and backs and its probably savs call on which club he goes to he will prefer port as he will get more games there.

I liked when the host said "Matt has been through a few trade weeks before pal"... like yeah no s**t, he is now taking calls from punters on the radio ie. no longer involved in trade week for a reason!
Rendell was questioning yesterday why Grundy was no longer in Collingwood’s leadership group (after he was called out for incorrectly stating that Grundy had never been in a leadership group). Implying that Grundy being no longer in the leadership group meant that he had no leadership skills.

Expanding on that logic, one could ask why is Rendell no longer involved in list management at afl clubs? Fortunately we get to hear him speak on the subject so the answer to this question is obvious for everyone to hear.

Henry trade looking less and less likely by the day, IMO - which should make Pies supporters happy...as that's what they've been clamoring for
Hope not. Ollie declares he wants out and wants to come to Geelong. If it falls apart, the damage could be significant.

I think we've already made the decision to keep our Future 1st, so we can get the Bowes deal done today, IMO. Said we were meeting GC on Friday, so no reason we don't just hand over the Future 2nd and get Bowes and Pick 7 over the line - and then figure out Henry and Sav during the remaining days.

Makes sense to me, as all along Mack has basically insinuated that this was not on our radar, so Henry is the last priority of the 3. Get your first 2 priorities out of the way, then deal with the last one with the time you have left. Also puts more pressure on Collingwood to accept unders, as we've got nothing else to worry about.

Very Wells'esque all this, haha. Everyone else is playing checkers, while we're playing 3D chess

Maybe but even if we do that we will still be offloading our later picks to move up the order (we cant use them anyway) and offering an upgraded second. We wont offer 38 for henry only thats insulting and would be silly.

Is Cooper Stephens and pick 38 for Ollie Henry a fair deal? Collingwood going after Mitchell as they want inside mid which Cooper is (with longer runway) - so they might look at him? They don’t want a Sav type player?

From our perspective are we giving up too much potential? For 2023 I can see it not impacting us (given what we have coming in) but what about longer term?
Why give up Stephens when we don't have to? If for some reason we really need to move someone else on to make it work (and I don't see why we will) I'd give up Menegola ahead of any of our younger talented players given our strengths and list demographic.

Hope not. Ollie declares he wants out and wants to come to Geelong. If it falls apart, the damage could be significant.

It wont fall apart.
He will get to geelong its just a matter of what the deal will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back