Round 1 Line Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely staggering that "experts" continue to list a backline for Round 1 that literally resembles last year's backline

Like..what?

Frampton is 1000% playing Round 1. We literally recruited him to play immediately to address the fact that we got within a point of a Grand Final despite playing with one key backman.

7 of our 8 losses last year were against teams with 2 tall forwards.

Frampton was recruited to directly address an issue that cost us almost all our losses. Why do people continue to think he won't play?

This is only going off training reports and the vibes your honour, but I think this would be a pretty solid line-up:-

B: Quaynor Frampton Maynard
HB: Noble Moore Howe
C: Crisp Naicos Sidebottom
Foll: Cox Mitchell Adams
HF: De Goey McStay Jaicos
F: Hill Mihocek Elliot

I/C: Lipinski, Pendlebury, Ginnivan, Cameron
E: WHE

I have notionally put Crisp on the wing, but in reality it would be Crisp, Naicos, Maynard, De Goey, Pendles, Lipinski, Elliot all rotating through the middle and/or on-ball.

Tough for Bianco, Mcreery, Carmichael, Johnson, Murphy, Markov, Richards, Reef, Draper and Allan - but wow what depth!

(EDIT: Maybe McCreery for Hill? I think we will have multiple in/outs across the season without too much drop in consistency and quality)

7e8a2ba87edf99e2f1cafecde81cb214.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still feel this is optimistic but who knows. It means players like Murphy, AJ, WHE, etc are very vulnerable.

Can't see Markov or Steene receiving much game time, either unless the club has a very different version of what the best 23 is.

This is only going off training reports and the vibes your honour, but I think this would be a pretty solid line-up:-

B: Quaynor Frampton Maynard
HB: Noble Moore Howe
C: Crisp Naicos Sidebottom
Foll: Cox Mitchell Adams
HF: De Goey McStay Jaicos
F: Hill Mihocek Elliot

I/C: Lipinski, Pendlebury, Ginnivan, Cameron
E: WHE

I have notionally put Crisp on the wing, but in reality it would be Crisp, Naicos, Maynard, De Goey, Pendles, Lipinski, Elliot all rotating through the middle and/or on-ball.

Tough for Bianco, Mcreery, Carmichael, Johnson, Murphy, Markov, Richards, Reef, Draper and Allan - but wow what depth!

(EDIT: Maybe McCreery for Hill? I think we will have multiple in/outs across the season without too much drop in consistency and quality)
The VFL team will be quite competitive but I think seeing that depth means players like Murley and Ruscoe won't be on the list. At a bare minimum, four players will need to be delisted if we intend to keep Markov.

Last edited:
I agree.

I mentioned a while ago I thought Ginni will be under big time pressure to hold his spot - most disagreed.

We are getting closer to finding out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Agree on Ginn, probably will start ahead of Hill but Hill has more skill on one hand compared to all of Ginn, time will tell and hope both tear it up

Still think we lack one hard mobile mid size defender though - hopefully someone stands up

Going to be and interesting few weeks to the lead up of round 1,

Whoever designed this at Fox is so out of it.

B: Isaac Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard

HB: Nick Daicos, Jeremy Howe, Scott Pendlebury

C: Josh Daicos, Jack Crisp, Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jamie Elliott, Dan McStay, Will Hoskin-Elliott

F: Jack Ginnivan, Brody Mihocek, Beau McCreery

FOLL: Darcy Cameron, Jordan De Goey, Tom Mitchell

I/C: Taylor Adams, Patrick Lipinski, Nathan Murphy, John Noble, Bobby Hill

We are playing Billy Frampton almost certainly - they couldn't find space for him in the lineup.

WHE doesn't even play at HF anymore, Nathan Murphy would be lucky to be included and Hill is still iffy. And then to neglect Mason Cox who we need as a second ruck ... follow pre-season Fox!

Whoever designed this at Fox is so out of it.

B: Isaac Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard

HB: Nick Daicos, Jeremy Howe, Scott Pendlebury

C: Josh Daicos, Jack Crisp, Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jamie Elliott, Dan McStay, Will Hoskin-Elliott

F: Jack Ginnivan, Brody Mihocek, Beau McCreery

FOLL: Darcy Cameron, Jordan De Goey, Tom Mitchell

I/C: Taylor Adams, Patrick Lipinski, Nathan Murphy, John Noble, Bobby Hill

We are playing Billy Frampton almost certainly - they couldn't find space for him in the lineup.

WHE doesn't even play at HF anymore, Nathan Murphy would be lucky to be included and Hill is still iffy. And then to neglect Mason Cox who we need as a second ruck ... follow pre-season Fox!
At least some people from HS have attended training and ger an idea, but those people from Fox Footy prob havent seen pre-season at all.

Agree on Ginn, probably will start ahead of Hill but Hill has more skill on one hand compared to all of Ginn, time will tell and hope both tear it up

Still think we lack one hard mobile mid size defender though - hopefully someone stands up

I reckon there's a lot more important roles to fill on our list than another mid-sized defender - understand the emphasis on hard - hopefully with Titch assuming the inside mid role, we can always throw Tayz back there for some grunt in the event that we need to bolster the effort that we get from Bruz. Nathan Murphy provides a level of intimidation too - not like the hardness that Bruz brings, but his courage in the way he attacks the ball (especially in-flight) is a form of hardness too.
Maybe McCreery could pinch hit there too. I recall when Oleg played against us in 2021 that I was surprised by the grunt that he provided.
I'd suggest that run and carry out of our backline is a much more significant capability (which we seem to have covered).

I'd be focussing our efforts on developing a key back and the perennial need for key forwards - ideally Arlo takes a step or two and becomes a part of our mid-field rotation.

I also love Ginni, but he is far from a lock as I see things

Our small forwards have to have speed, its fundamental to the way we play. Its what forces their defenders to kick out of their backline in a rush only to be marked by our aerially great defenders.

Maybe Oleg Markov?

At least some people from HS have attended training and ger an idea, but those people from Fox Footy prob havent seen pre-season at all.
HS have been surprisingly on the money this year and providing accurate details rather than Collingwood smear.

Although, it probably relates to odds more than anything. Betr, a new bookmaker, is owned by the Herald Sun and they don't want people gaining value or an edge with inside information.

Fox has deals with bookies, too, but to my knowledge, don't have one operational in Australia so therefore no liability. In fact, through deals with bookies, they could actually receive a percentage of all losses when customers click on the links.

Our small forwards have to have speed, its fundamental to the way we play. Its what forces their defenders to kick out of their backline in a rush only to be marked by our aerially great defenders.
He kicked the second most goals last year. He’s a lock mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Jeremy Howe ~ Billy Frampton ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Isaac Quaynor ~ Darcy Moore ~ Scott Pendlebury

M: Josh Daicos ~ Tom Mitchell ~ Steele Sidebottom
R: Mason Cox ~ Nick Daicos ~ Jordan De Goey

HF: Patrick Lipinski ~ Dan McStay ~ Jack Crisp
F: Bobby Hill ~ Brodie Mihocek ~ Jamie Elliott

I/C: Taylor Adams ~ Josh Carmichael ~ John Noble ~ Darcy Cameron
Sub: Will Hoskin-Elliott

I think you are correct, definitely first two games out... havent been to the Torquay pub lately have you?

What I want to see rd1 is 2 stay at home key forwards and two rucks. We are still behind with key forwards because we don’t have a star forward, we have good forwards. McStay, checkers and AJ to take the key spots. AJ Will probably miss out but injuries will see him get game time. Cox/Cameron to both play in the ruck, I don’t want to see Dan doing any ruck work.
The forward that I just can’t get a handle on is Freddy. I love his style but it’s just going to kill him injury wise. Is he a key or a crash and bash make room for others. Reminds me a bit of Jarrod Molloy a bit bigger but same style. I just don’t know where he fits in.
I felt a little uneasy when Selwood said they still haven't decided whether to go with the two ruck men with Checkers and McStay permanent forwards or using McStay as a second ruckman. For the love of God, two genuine ruckmen. After last year it's a no brainer. Geelong, Richmond both have two ruckmen. Cox looked awesome in the intra club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back