Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

not too bothered by Culleys showing today. Blow out some cobwebs and get some run in the legs.

What I would love is the club to go back and show him some footage of Priddis. Priddis was slow as treacle but incredibly evasive in tight and perhaps his greatest strength was drawing one or two tackles shooting his arms above his head so his hands were free to pass to the now free runners on the outside. A couple of times I saw Culley more so go for the tuck the ball under the arm and bulldoze player in front of him only to be caught. I don’t think he’s going to have a lot of success with that in the afl.

I do think he can be that player that collects the ball first and takes the first tackle only to get the ball out to our advantage. Keeping the hands free and clear is something he should look at working on to improve.

I for one dont want to see West or Clark played in their preferred inside mid positions. If either of them did so at the expense of Ginbey, Hewitt, Kelly, Culley, Yeo i wouldnt be happy about. Even gaff, SPS, Pet, Jones and Long should be ahead for them for the odd cba's. There are many players who would put up their best statistical games playing as inside mids however there isnt enough spots unless we have more injuries or the rookie wall hits.

Clark was drafted as a stop gap solution in what was expected to be a better team. Thats exactly the role he is playing although now in a developing team. He doesnt the attributes for the modern game. I dont think West is skilled enough to make it although he is a decent pressure player which is why hes playing across HFF which is his only future in this team realistically. Likely both of these players arent on the list in 2 years time so i dont see why they should be playing inside mid now.

All in all, I think the result was predictable, we played a team superior in confidence, skill and experience. You can’t knock our endeavour, but we made far too many skill errors. Yes, there were a couple of our blokes who pretty much confirmed that they’re marginal contributors at best and wouldn’t have been playing if not for our current predicament. I enjoyed watching the young blokes battle it out and another draft or two should hold us in good stead moving forward.

Tough times build physical and mental resilience which is not particularly inspiring for supporters in the short term, but it will definitely have a positive impact on WC in the next season or two.

Not a lot to argue about here, but it’s all a bit Pollyanna-ish, if truth be told. These are professional athletes, not under-14s. They – and we on this forum – should be able to handle fair and constructive criticism. That’s life, mate. A team that’s struggling should be no more immune to criticism than a team at the peak of its powers. All the posts (or, the vast majority at least) recognise exactly the issues you mention. The Dees are a very strong team; we are not (for many reasons), and we have been decimated by injuries. We are also rebuilding, and reinventing our game plan. These things are a given. But even within struggling and rebuilding teams there are players who give more (or offer more) and players who don’t. It’s been said in another context that sunlight is the best disinfectant. By all means, discourage unfair, ill informed, abusive and destructive criticism – but don’t stifle reasonable and healthy debate and exchange of ideas and opinions. In a forum such as this, there is arguably no place for “not doing negatives”. It would be a pretty tame forum if we only made positive comments – and probably a pretty boring one. It would certainly not be a very honest place. No? Am I wrong?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, you are wrong. Keys can comment precisely as he likes. If he can't be bothered rehashing the negatives that have already been well and truly covered good on him, there are more than enough posters to pick up the slack.

Get used to this result unfortunately. Hang in there
Whenever I wake up feeling a little bit down or just not quite right I have one sure fire way to cheer myself up.
I make myself a coffee and then just hop on over to read the Cockburn Vent thread for a bit. After reading it for 5 or 10 minutes the sky seems bluer, the grass seems greener, the air smells fresher and I think to myself, you know what, life could be worse.

Last edited:
I refuse to bag West or Clark as not good enough at AFL level until they’ve been played in their correct position long enough to know if they can or can’t make it.

The stupid trend of our club in drafting players and playing them out of position has to stop.

re-watching the pressure 1st quarter Clark`s hands were quite good in close firing off 3 handballs that kept the team moving forward ..

Also Kelly ,going inside 50 burnt West 2 times when he was free for a simple pass ,so good teams share the ball but Kelly didn`t have faith in West as a target ..

Last edited:
I thought Hough was one of our best in the first half. That early smother summed it up, but his second efforts and follow-ups are fantastic for a second year player. We definitely have a player here and looking forward to seeing how his games improves as he develops more physically. In any case I hope we keep him in the squad for the rest of the year.

Not a lot to argue about here, but it’s all a bit Pollyanna-ish, if truth be told. These are professional athletes, not under-14s. They – and we on this forum – should be able to handle fair and constructive criticism. That’s life, mate. A team that’s struggling should be no more immune to criticism than a team at the peak of its powers. All the posts (or, the vast majority at least) recognise exactly the issues you mention. The Dees are a very strong team; we are not (for many reasons), and we have been decimated by injuries. We are also rebuilding, and reinventing our game plan. These things are a given. But even within struggling and rebuilding teams there are players who give more (or offer more) and players who don’t. It’s been said in another context that sunlight is the best disinfectant. By all means, discourage unfair, ill informed, abusive and destructive criticism – but don’t stifle reasonable and healthy debate and exchange of ideas and opinions. In a forum such as this, there is arguably no place for “not doing negatives”. It would be a pretty tame forum if we only made positive comments – and probably a pretty boring one. It would certainly not be a very honest place. No? Am I wrong?

We could probably do with a little pollyannaism around here in these dark, gloomy days.

Yeah, you are wrong. Keys can comment precisely as he likes. If he can't be bothered rehashing the negatives that have already been well and truly covered good on him, there are more than enough posters to pick up the slack.

Nobody said he can’t. That’s his business. My post was a response to this (and the other passages quoted from Keys’ lengthy original post): “Find the positives, be hopeful the players learn from the negatives rather than dwell on them and the year will be more enjoyable despite the losses”. Posters who identify negatives aren’t automatically whingers or “melts”. I’m guessing I’m dealing with another Big Kahuna here, but I thought it was clear that the thrust of my post was not what Keys should post, but what others should be permitted to post. As it happens, his response to my post understood that point completely. It was an excellent response.

+TK Looking like a proper a grader - you can poo poo his disposal but what if I told you I thought it was the inexperience of the other players not bein where they should?
what if GIF

• Big Bad Bailey Williams looking very servicable. HUGE improvement. Playing with a knee niggle too.
  • Gaff! A man reborn. Best game in a long long time.
  • Ginbey an absolute beast week after week
  • Long. Still a machine when he gets supply

• The big minus and my muppet of the matchday - JJ for the worst kick for goal you'll ever see.
    Hurn's age catching up
  • Darling's goal kicking (has been attributed to possibly a back tweak)
  • Tank empty at the end. Fair enough

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody said he can’t. That’s his business. My post was a response to this (and the other passages quoted from Keys’ lengthy original post): “Find the positives, be hopeful the players learn from the negatives rather than dwell on them and the year will be more enjoyable despite the losses”. Posters who identify negatives aren’t automatically whingers or “melts”. I’m guessing I’m dealing with another Big Kahuna here, but I thought it was clear that the thrust of my post was not what Keys should post, but what others should be permitted to post. As it happens, his response to my post understood that point completely. It was an excellent response.

Nah, Seadog is the Big Kahlua

Definitely missed Ryan and Crippa. They would normally put the pressure on to keep it in the f50 and it just walked out too easy.

Our d50 has been a mess, mostly because our defenders push up too high and also play too loose and our opposition stay forward for the quick movement which catches us out badly. Need to always have at least one player as the last between the goals so those cheap ones are harder to get.

Not worries about the yoof though. Kids are going alright and with more experience will be guns. Just need to protect them as much as we can while they learn. We all know the old crew are mostly not up to carrying the load now but they can be a buffer for the young kids to prevent them getting smashed week in/out.

Positives-
The Kids get another game under the belt.
Yeo return was a success.
OA looking better every match.
Can clearly see the change in game plan and will just take time now to settle and mature.
Players definitely care shown through the effort on game day.

+TK Looking like a proper a grader - you can poo poo his disposal but what if I told you I thought it was the inexperience of the other players not bein where they should?
what if GIF

• Big Bad Bailey Williams looking very servicable. HUGE improvement. Playing with a knee niggle too.
  • Gaff! A man reborn. Best game in a long long time.
  • Ginbey an absolute beast week after week
  • Long. Still a machine when he gets supply

• The big minus and my muppet of the matchday - JJ for the worst kick for goal you'll ever see.
    Hurn's age catching up
  • Darling's goal kicking (has been attributed to possibly a back tweak)
  • Tank empty at the end. Fair enough

“you can poo poo his disposal but what if I told you I thought it was the inexperience of the other players not bein where they should?” 🤣🤣 Someone took the blue pill…

“you can poo poo his disposal but what if I told you I thought it was the inexperience of the other players not bein where they should?” 🤣🤣 Someone took the blue pill…

As long as it's not Chad Felcher's flatline pill I'm doing okay

Special shout out for Hunt today. Looked dangerous every time he was involved. Great get and the type of trade outcome you hope for.

New gameplan on display today and even though it wasn't sustained and some of the seniors could've played better, there were promising signs.
Another game into the youngsters, and importantly one where they actually had a chance and wasn't just a stomp.

Umpiring was inconsistent today but wasn't the reason for the loss.

Ha, watched the game with a person that knows umpiring, they said some decisions are the worst they have seen . I replied na you need to watch more footy, the standard is low to very low. We were over run as I expected and can accept

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Positives: first 2 and a half quarters, Oscar kicking 3, Gaff inside mid big tick and Kelly looks really good first month of the season. Negatives: Margin, Umpiring, Melbourne players pulling their best ducking performance (looking at you Viney) and big tough guy Christian Petracca giving the finger to the crowd when it’s 63 points and a minute left, to the away end no less

Ha, watched the game with a person that knows umpiring, they said some decisions are the worst they have seen . I replied na you need to watch more footy, the standard is low to very low. We were over run as I expected and can accept

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Even the commentators called it out numerous times, it was that bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back