Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Suma’s such a hack. You can guarantee that he was hanging out for a poor SPS game
View attachment 1655216

I have zero interest in what Sumich says. A quick scan of his efforts so far would suggest he’s positioning himself as the analyst who tells it like it is and as a result will gravitate to finding the negative in lieu of being positive

I’m far more interested in what Mark Duffield is writing as he’s striking a good balance between pointing out flaws/weaknesses whilst seeing the positives. Along with a core understanding of what we are trying to achieve as a club

Suma’s such a hack. You can guarantee that he was hanging out for a poor SPS game
View attachment 1655216
I thought SPS was one of our better players tbh. Didn’t get as much of the ball as he previously has but thought the pressure and dash he provided was elite all day.

He looks really fit and stuck his tackles today. Kicked a goal and directly assisted one of Allen’s too.

Of his 10 disposals 5 were score involvements. Also had 5 tackles and 27 pressure acts which was the equal third most on ground.

Loving his resurgence this year and absolutely love that he rocked the sleeves today too

Looks like you found one with long. Gonna be a serious player I recon

Yep

Not sure when it’ll be, possibly a couple or so years from now, but this kid is going to be a star

His football smarts are off the charts and despite being ridiculously undersized still gets himself in good positions

At one stage today he manoeuvred Brayshaw under an incoming ball and would have run onto it in space had the boundary line not intervened

And even with his little noodle arms still sticks most of his tackles

Is going to be a fan favourite. He’s already one of mine

West is a definite nono .
Edwards and Hough had a few soft moments.
Red hot half but too many guys didn’t bust a gut in the second half. We can’t afford too many skilled players who don’t put their bodies on the line.

Hunt,Kelly and BW need to take an xtra half second to have a look and maybe lower their eyes. So many of our players get tunnel vision and bomb the ball. Look short,look sideways, look look look!

Amazed to see people giving Williams a pat on the head for 'trying hard'.

He got utterly utterly obliterated by Grundy and then had his remains blended into a fine paste and then had that paste incinerated with a blow torch and then had those ashes scattered to the four winds.

Specifically he
- got smashed in the hitouts, like smashed. For much of the game Grundy had more hitouts to advantage than Williams had hitouts, and the melbourne dominance in the clearances started there.

- got butchered around the ground with both melbourne ruckmen regularly running off him and doing as they pleased.

- dropped uncontested grabs both in defence and up forward, managing to spoil both barrass and Allen on separate occasions when they had clear runs at it

- disposed of the ball either with rushed dump clangers down the line or the trademark wllliams 'hold the ball until numbers get back and then kick it to noone in the pocket' forward entry.

I'm not knocking his effort but he's not a first year player anymore and at the minute he's guaranteed season best game for the opposition ruck. He's realistically one of the worst players in the AFL to be regularly getting a game for any team, and a massive liability.

I don't think he's going to make it and I don't think he's worth persevering with. He's just really really bad at football.

I obviously struck a nerve. I’m not a sock puppet and I don’t know who you think I am (or used to be). This is my first and only identity on this forum. I only joined about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I can see it’s a pretty welcoming place!

Sorry for my comments not being insightful. I just do the best I can. Probably just lack the depth of knowledge and understanding more experienced posters acquire. I need a few more posts under my belt, but I’ll get there… The veteran posters (and in that regard, I’m guessing you’re the Big Cahuna) are showing me the ropes, that’s for sure.

As for telling me I’m wrong, you didn’t do too badly – in spite of basically agreeing with me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You sound exactly like a former poster, just can't remember the name....

Amazed to see people giving Williams a pat on the head for 'trying hard'.

He got utterly utterly obliterated by Grundy and then had his remains blended into a fine paste and then had that paste incinerated with a blow torch and then had those ashes scattered to the four winds.

Specifically he
- got smashed in the hitouts, like smashed. For much of the game Grundy had more hitouts to advantage than Williams had hitouts, and the melbourne dominance in the clearances started there.

- got butchered around the ground with both melbourne ruckmen regularly running off him and doing as they pleased.

- dropped uncontested grabs both in defence and up forward, managing to spoil both barrass and Allen on separate occasions when they had clear runs at it

- disposed of the ball either with rushed dump clangers down the line or the trademark wllliams 'hold the ball until numbers get back and then kick it to noone in the pocket' forward entry.

I'm not knocking his effort but he's not a first year player anymore and at the minute he's guaranteed season best game for the opposition ruck. He's realistically one of the worst players in the AFL to be regularly getting a game for any team, and a massive liability.

I don't think he's going to make it and I don't think he's worth persevering with. He's just really really bad at football.
The hit outs to advantage ended 13 - 9, for a 22 year old ruck against Brodie Grundy.

Grundy had 22 disposals to Williams 17.

He did extremely well for a ruck his age.

Compare his seasons stats to Draper who is still 2 years older than Bailey but is the youngest ruck getting regular time outside of Bailey right now.

Or compare them to Jackson, who just went for two 1sts and a 2nd.

The hit outs to advantage ended 13 - 9, for a 22 year old ruck against Brodie Grundy.

Grundy had 22 disposals to Williams 17.

He did extremely well for a ruck his age.

Compare his seasons stats to Draper who is still 2 years older than Bailey but is the youngest ruck getting regular time outside of Bailey right now.

Or compare them to Jackson, who just went for two 1sts and a 2nd.
Mathew Flynn at GWS is a decent comparison as he has 28 games under his belt although he does have 3 more years under his belt than Bailey. Flynn has more Hitouts on AVG 24.8 to 22.5 but the rest are pretty similar. Flynn has kicked some goals but Bailey has more inside 50's. It's pretty close just that Bailey needs to clean up his disposal. Interestingly at the same age Flynn wasn't even playing senior footy.

Screenshot_20230409_231133_Chrome.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not doing negatives. They’re getting a fair run anyway and this season is going to be an exercise in finding positives in a sea of negatives

So I’ll leave the low hanging whinge fruit to others

• Kelly never stopped trying and was our most influential midfielder. Would have been up there for BOG honours had he finished off his work a little better. Anyone complaining about his season so far can FRO

Find the positives, be hopeful the players learn from the negatives rather than dwell on them and the year will be more enjoyable despite the losses

Not a lot to argue about here, but it’s all a bit Pollyanna-ish, if truth be told. These are professional athletes, not under-14s. They – and we on this forum – should be able to handle fair and constructive criticism. That’s life, mate. A team that’s struggling should be no more immune to criticism than a team at the peak of its powers. All the posts (or, the vast majority at least) recognise exactly the issues you mention. The Dees are a very strong team; we are not (for many reasons), and we have been decimated by injuries. We are also rebuilding, and reinventing our game plan. These things are a given. But even within struggling and rebuilding teams there are players who give more (or offer more) and players who don’t. It’s been said in another context that sunlight is the best disinfectant. By all means, discourage unfair, ill informed, abusive and destructive criticism – but don’t stifle reasonable and healthy debate and exchange of ideas and opinions. In a forum such as this, there is arguably no place for “not doing negatives”. It would be a pretty tame forum if we only made positive comments – and probably a pretty boring one. It would certainly not be a very honest place. No? Am I wrong?

You sound exactly like a former poster, just can't remember the name....

I don’t know whether that’s a compliment or an insult, but I’ll take it as the former. As I told the Big Conuna fella, I’ve never posted here under any other name, and I only joined the forum a few weeks ago.

Probably leading with my chin here, but what is it about my posts that makes me sound like he (or she, I guess) who cannot be named? Is it what I say, or the way I say it?

Not a lot to argue about here, but it’s all a bit Pollyanna-ish, if truth be told. These are professional athletes, not under-14s. They – and we on this forum – should be able to handle fair and constructive criticism. That’s life, mate. A team that’s struggling should be no more immune to criticism than a team at the peak of its powers. All the posts (or, the vast majority at least) recognise exactly the issues you mention. The Dees are a very strong team; we are not (for many reasons), and we have been decimated by injuries. We are also rebuilding, and reinventing our game plan. These things are a given. But even within struggling and rebuilding teams there are players who give more (or offer more) and players who don’t. It’s been said in another context that sunlight is the best disinfectant. By all means, discourage unfair, ill informed, abusive and destructive criticism – but don’t stifle reasonable and healthy debate and exchange of ideas and opinions. In a forum such as this, there is arguably no place for “not doing negatives”. It would be a pretty tame forum if we only made positive comments – and probably a pretty boring one. It would certainly not be a very honest place. No? Am I wrong?

People are more than welcome to discuss negatives. I’m not stopping them nor will I censor those that do, even if I disagree with their view

That said, my own opinion is that there’s a prevailing negativity that is both understandable and mildly frustrating

We’re in a rebuild and there’s going to be more days like today, some will be worse, so I’m going to focus on positives as best I can

I have no issue with those who think different but will challenge them if I think they’ve been unduly harsh or outright wrong

And I expect others to do the same with me if they think I’m wrong

I don’t know whether that’s a compliment or an insult, but I’ll take it as the former. As I told the Big Conuna fella, I’ve never posted here under any other name, and I only joined the forum a few weeks ago.

Probably leading with my chin here, but what is it about my posts that makes me sound like he (or she, I guess) who cannot be named? Is it what I say, or the way I say it?

It's neither a complement or an insult, just an observation.

Connor West hype/hope was replaced by Greg Clark hype/hope, which was replaced by Jai Culley hype/hope.

Hmm.

At least it can be argued Culley is very young and an apparent late bloomer either way.

All 3 did not look up to standard today - can’t possibly carry all 3 in 1 side.

Culley looked short of a run so may need another few weeks in the WAFL.

Connor West hype/hope was replaced by Greg Clark hype/hope, which was replaced by Jai Culley hype/hope.

Hmm.

At least it can be argued Culley is very young and an apparent late bloomer either way.

All 3 did not look up to standard today - can’t possibly carry all 3 in 1 side.

Culley looked short of a run so may need another few weeks in the WAFL.
I think the main concern about Culley apart from his lack of speed was that last year he was an overager dominating against players predominantly a year younger than him.
So it was unknown how he would go against older players. Perhaps he has struggled a bit in that respect at both WAFL & AFL level.
Not writing him off yet though. There are plenty of examples of slower bigger bodied mids that have excelled in the AFL.
He just needs to use his size to his advantage, and be more physical & contested like Ginbey, along with regularly going forward and kicking a few goals.

I have zero interest in what Sumich says. A quick scan of his efforts so far would suggest he’s positioning himself as the analyst who tells it like it is and as a result will gravitate to finding the negative in lieu of being positive

I’m far more interested in what Mark Duffield is writing as he’s striking a good balance between pointing out flaws/weaknesses whilst seeing the positives. Along with a core understanding of what we are trying to achieve as a club

Generally agree about Sumich but I'd give him credit for blowing the whistle on NicNat's injury and forcing the club to fess up that they lied about him.

Special shout out for Hunt today. Looked dangerous every time he was involved. Great get and the type of trade outcome you hope for.

New gameplan on display today and even though it wasn't sustained and some of the seniors could've played better, there were promising signs.
Another game into the youngsters, and importantly one where they actually had a chance and wasn't just a stomp.

Umpiring was inconsistent today but wasn't the reason for the loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back