Autopsy 2023 Rd 8 Mediocre Blues gone after Quarter time

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs Brisbane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Record Membership for the club and they go out and dish this crap out!!! Field kicking was terrible.....we panic way to quickly spray and pray the ball, in hope we win it again.....Cripps was MIA, our descision making was horendous and after 1/4 time we lost all structure and Voss got pants again.....subbed out Young when clearly was other players and talls that performed worse....we have no run we look like statues half the time.....we are clearly not up to it with a top four side!!!! I dont know what Voss needs to do, but he should do it soon, cause i can sense the villagers are getting restless and the pitch forks are getting.......
Voss says we made too many turn overs and that its hard to judge that we arent hitting the svoreboard due to turn overs. This guy clearly has no f rigging idea. We aint hit the svoreboard because we play keepings off and he can see we dont have the skills to play aka hawthorn 2013 style of play. So instead of implementing something new he keeps pushing forward with it. If you are playing AFl and you are missing the target regularly as we do under no.pressure then your not up to it ffs.

We drank our own bath water at the start of the year … all the close losses last year meant we believed we are good enough.

We are mid table, we beat the sides below us and struggle against sides above us.

The good … Cerra …
Motlop and Durdin for not fading out of the game and getting goals late, in years to come let’s hope they get goals out the back and from front and square …
Kemp just keep persisting, not easy as a third tall with Weitering and Young rather indifferent last night …

The bad …
Our midfield is not presently our strength and we are reluctant to play all of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and Kennedy in the 22, with Kennedy the sub the last 2 matches.

We don’t kick to the advantage of Charlie and Harry often, nor have a sneaky pass to Durdin, Motlop or JSOS on their own (we don’t ‘lower the eyes’).

Honey was woeful. While I think Fisher’s been average, he should not have been dropped before Honey. All three of Owies, Martin and Cuningham (when fit) please.

If Young was subbed out because he was poor, then we must send him to the VFL next week.

Our lack of run and a plan b … think how easily the Lions curtailed Saad a few times in a row and won the ball back each time. That’s where Charlie, Harry and JSOS need to get up the ground and give a chop out.

I think we are a better side with TDK playing as a second ruckman.

When Cripps is having a bad day and/or his opponent is having a blinder, then it is up to the coach to either motivate him or change things up. Like put him up forward for example (this year he's been lacking goals)... or put someone else on his opponent to quell them. Something.

He's a poor kick for goal and there is no guarantee his opponent will let him swap so easily. It's a sad state of affairs where we need the coach to motivate our well paid brownlow medallist and captain to get him to stop jogging after his direct opponent. Hell even if we swapped him to a different opponent we'd just give another player space and time to kill us.

Cripps was playing better footy in his first year of footy than he is now. I don't know know how you fix that when he offers zero utility and is a liability defensively. He's just a fancy name in our side at the moment and if he isn't killing it at the stoppages he is dead weight.

For those wondering why Young was subbed off:

He kept the ball alive by spoiling to dangerous positions, which cost us 13 points. Not to mention the handball to nobody that led to 3rd goal.

Young was putrid and our ruck/mids got slaughtered. Starting to feel like I am suffering from some sort of malicious brain parasite because I was bullish coming into this game.

We keep him. He's our captain and almost single-handedly dragged us across the line vs Collingwood last year, and if not for wayward kicking from Beavis and Butthead (McKay and Curnow), we would've been finalists.

This talk of trading him is rubbish. Had the same discussion at the end of 2021, well what do you know, he ended up winning a Brownlow and was the catalyst to our 8-2 start. Without him, we would not have even been close.

Only problem is that our midfield is not playing to its potential because it is poorly coached. You can argue that players selected in the AA team does nothing for our team, Curnow's Coleman does nothing for our team, etc all you want. But what it does more than anything is that it shows that these players have a high ceiling, and we can't reach that when Voss and his coaching team are crawling on the floor.

It’s not that the top players do nothing, it’s more that we need them to be super elite to be a chance of beating a top 8 standard side.

If you are expecting that, your side is middling at best.

Firstly, I think a few people are underrating this Brisbane side. They have beaten both Collingwood and Melbourne comfortably this season. They are better then us and have been for a long time.

Cerra is becoming an A grader.
Weitering is one of the mentally weakest stars I’ve ever seen.
Cincotta could be a good player.
Surely Walsh and Cripps won’t be that poor again.
Honey needs atleast two months out of the side.
I really don’t have faith in Voss but maybe we only need to tweak a couple of things.
McKay is my biggest disappointment this season, I thought he would explode.

Voss says we made too many turn overs and that its hard to judge that we arent hitting the svoreboard due to turn overs. This guy clearly has no f rigging idea. We aint hit the svoreboard because we play keepings off and he can see we dont have the skills to play aka hawthorn 2013 style of play. So instead of implementing something new he keeps pushing forward with it. If you are playing AFl and you are missing the target regularly as we do under no.pressure then your not up to it ffs.
In fairness to Voss that actually makes sense. It’s impossible to defend some of the turnovers we committed tonight.

He's a poor kick for goal and there is no guarantee his opponent will let him swap so easily. It's a sad state of affairs where we need the coach to motivate our well paid brownlow medallist and captain to get him to stop jogging after his direct opponent. Hell even if we swapped him to a different opponent we'd just give another player space and time to kill us.

Cripps was playing better footy in his first year of footy than he is now. I don't know know how you fix that when he offers zero utility and is a liability defensively. He's just a fancy name in our side at the moment and if he isn't killing it at the stoppages he is dead weight.
It didn't stop him from converting last year.

As for playing better footy in his first year, you're going to have to actually back that up.

Slept badly last night, tossed and turned, woke up 4am and just can’t go back to sleep again. This season has just gutted me.
It’s not that we lost last night that bothers me, it’s what this club has slowly become the last 22 years that sticks in my craw.
We are soft. It has been woven into our fabric, into our culture and not even an exorcism will not remove it.
Sadly we needed a Ross Lyon but we chose our “principals” over winning. To be fair I’m not sure Ross the Boss would have made a difference either. This club simply now has the ability to “Carltonise” anyone who comes through its doors.

Was so looking forward to this season but let’s be honest we have not played well all year except maybe against a terrible Geelong who would carve us up now.

Cripps, Walsh, McKay (in front of goal), Weitering, Hewett to name a few are well down on any semblance of 2022 form. Our youngsters have not kicked on, our small forwards frankly are all a joke, our decision making and quick movement of the footy non existent. Our ball movement to our twin towers or just into our forward line is the worst in the league. We literally allow the opposition to set up every time we move forward and the. Just bomb it in to then watch it come out. Dont even go to scoring from wretched turn overs! The utter magnitude of gifting goals to the opposition last night was excruciating.

Was watching the game with my brother in law, a Hawks supporter, almost punched him in the head when he said at three quarter time, yeah I find it frustrating too as I’m going through the same thing watching Hawthorne at the minute. I just looked at him and told him where to go. Him and his club have been there for 10 minutes, I have been there for 22 years!

Never, ever did I think my beloved Blues from my childhood would descend into such utter mediocrity. What just destroys me is other clubs just constantly leap frog us from behind with what we think is a terrible list. WE HAVE THE LIST! So why are we this was up?????

Who is to blame? I really do not know. In the end I can only think it’s the fabric of the club. We have turned ourselves over the last 22 years into St Kilda, perennial losers. Our players turn up for a paycheck and are simply not prepared to go that extra inch for success let alone mile.

We have lost what made this club great and I fear we will never find it again.

Shame on all of you for making this club the wretched pile of shite it has become.

Best jumper in the league and so few who wear it today honestly deserve to wear it. No pride in wearing it. No one wanting to stand up and lead from the front. Too many passengers and too many frightened little boys cowering under their sheets thinking there is a monster in their closet.

What infuriates me is it was Doc’s 150 and this is what the boys served up for him. The few that played well I thank you for Doc, the rest take a hard look at yourselves.

Wish I knew how to fix things but the problems are just too big. We have built slowly, patiently and assembled a list that could challenge but won’t simply because it lacks the fundamentals courage, discipline and mongrel.

This team with arguably the best spine in the league is simply a bunch of campaigning, show boating, soft utensil losers who have zero desire to become football gods.

All the talent, none of the drive.

Sad but true. I accept it now.

For those wondering why Young was subbed off:

He kept the ball alive by spoiling to dangerous positions, which cost us 13 points. Not to mention the handball to nobody that led to 3rd goal.

Yuck… you look at this and just shake your head, we are just an incredibly dumb football team, combine that with the amount of times we keep the ball in play instead of walking it over the goal and boundary line when under pressure, costs us goals every week and the one that drives me bananas is releasing when u der pressure or knocking the ball on instead of just absorbing a tackle, so what if we get pinged for htb it at least gives us a chance behind the ball to set up, instead we hand it over to the opposition when we are vulnerable and it almost always ends up in a score.

Prime example of this dumb football is the ‘Weiters kick ‘ he is under extreme pressure, has nothing on and tries to execute a ridiculous pass, instead he should have booted the ball 60m straight over the boundary line, would have been on the full or deliberate but at least gives us a chance..

Last edited:
We just got beaten by a better football team tonight. Our first and second efforts were there to tackle and spoil a lot of the time but it wasn’t enough against the speedier and more accurate Lions.

Hopefully we can learn something or two from the Lions and keep improving. Still a lot of work to get this talented list working like a well oiled machine against quality opposition and pressure.

Although it’s disappointing to lose we have to keep things in perspective that we are going to lose against the top teams until we reach the apex of the competition and we are clearly not there yet. We can get there though with more refinement, training and time.

I’m sure we’ll do better against the Doggies and bag the win.

Slept badly last night, tossed and turned, woke up 4am and just can’t go back to sleep again. This season has just gutted me.
It’s not that we lost last night that bothers me, it’s what this club has slowly become the last 22 years that sticks in my craw.
We are soft. It has been woven into our fabric, into our culture and not even an exorcism will not remove it.
Sadly we needed a Ross Lyon but we chose our “principals” over winning. To be fair I’m not sure Ross the Boss would have made a difference either. This club simply now has the ability to “Carltonise” anyone who comes through its doors.

Was so looking forward to this season but let’s be honest we have not played well all year except maybe against a terrible Geelong who would carve us up now.

Cripps, Walsh, McKay (in front of goal), Weitering, Hewett to name a few are well down on any semblance of 2022 form. Our youngsters have not kicked on, our small forwards frankly are all a joke, our decision making and quick movement of the footy non existent. Our ball movement to our twin towers or just into our forward line is the worst in the league. We literally allow the opposition to set up every time we move forward and the. Just bomb it in to then watch it come out. Dont even go to scoring from wretched turn overs! The utter magnitude of gifting goals to the opposition last night was excruciating.

Was watching the game with my brother in law, a Hawks supporter, almost punched him in the head when he said at three quarter time, yeah I find it frustrating too as I’m going through the same thing watching Hawthorne at the minute. I just looked at him and told him where to go. Him and his club have been there for 10 minutes, I have been there for 22 years!

Never, ever did I think my beloved Blues from my childhood would descend into such utter mediocrity. What just destroys me is other clubs just constantly leap frog us from behind with what we think is a terrible list. WE HAVE THE LIST! So why are we this was up?????

Who is to blame? I really do not know. In the end I can only think it’s the fabric of the club. We have turned ourselves over the last 22 years into St Kilda, perennial losers. Our players turn up for a paycheck and are simply not prepared to go that extra inch for success let alone mile.

We have lost what made this club great and I fear we will never find it again.

Shame on all of you for making this club the wretched pile of shite it has become.

Best jumper in the league and so few who wear it today honestly deserve to wear it. No pride in wearing it. No one wanting to stand up and lead from the front. Too many passengers and too many frightened little boys cowering under their sheets thinking there is a monster in their closet.

What infuriates me is it was Doc’s 150 and this is what the boys served up for him. The few that played well I thank you for Doc, the rest take a hard look at yourselves.

Wish I knew how to fix things but the problems are just too big. We have built slowly, patiently and assembled a list that could challenge but won’t simply because it lacks the fundamentals courage, discipline and mongrel.

This team with arguably the best spine in the league is simply a bunch of campaigning, show boating, soft utensil losers who have zero desire to become football gods.

All the talent, none of the drive.

Sad but true. I accept it now.
I am here with you on the rough sleep.. but cheer up, at the end of the day at least we ain’t Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supporters commenting

72 points from turnovers…
Can someone confirm this? 12 goals from turnovers tonight out of their 15 goals kicked?
Surely not…

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
No, what they said was that the Lions have averaged 75 points from turnovers over their last 5 games compared to the league average of 49 points.

They’ve been in great form kicking more than 100 points a game in their last 5 outings. They probably kicked 10 goals from our turnovers (probably 15+ in their North game).

CABB20F0-F1B0-46A4-9B01-0BC218F0C143.jpeg

We need to take a leaf out of collingwoods book, play a bit more like them.
I vomited a bit in my mouth writing that
No

You are right.
I have coach envy bigtime.
It's a whole mindset though.
He has Ted Lasso mind.
It's absolute positive regard and the players feel it.
That creates total buy in.
The game plan has that same positivity.

Mooney on fox footy said it best. This team just can’t handle pressure. When pressure is on then they just go into their shell. Happened today and happened last year when they needed to win a game to make finals and they couldn’t handle the heat.
Truth hurts.

The pies can play like they do because they are so good in there back 6 defensive system -- that back 6 been playing together a long time -- pies were always good defensively McRae just let them run knowing there DNA is defence which has been ground into them over years -- plus nick daicos helped
We've had lots of defensive practice too. We have an overworked system.

Last edited:
I'm sick of us being a work in progress. We should be close to the finished product.

There's something seriously wrong mentally with this group.
THIS.

List has to be turned over by 10 to 20 spots
Assistant coaches out
Lloyd out
President needs to commit long term or go.
Supporters need to stop driinking cool aid on players like lewis young
Voss is the least of our issues but I expect the politics will consume another coach
Not the LEAST of our issues.
Agree we need top shelf assistant coaches.
Don't think many oversell Young.

We aren't sacking Voss. I am not convinced he is the guy, but merry go round of coaches isn't changing much. I think if you gave Teague or even Bolton this current side I don't think things would be much better or worse.

Only coach out there I think would of gotten more out of us is Ross Lyon. In terms of who else is available, or potentially available who is there? Hinkley? Buckley?

If we could land Hinkley I would probably move on Voss, truth be told, just not sure he is gettable.

I also don't think our list is very good, though at the same time a good coach with a plan could get more out of them. I think we have an average list and an equally average coach to match.
Why do people fixate on Ross.
The best coach presently is Fly.

It didn't stop him from converting last year.

As for playing better footy in his first year, you're going to have to actually back that up.

88 goals to 91 behinds over his career and he is 1.7 so far this year. Hell even last year his scoreboard impact dried up in the 2nd half of the year.

I got his first year mixed up his 2nd year my bad. Anyway I'm sure he'll stop jogging and hold his opponent accountable soon. Too big a name for a club like Carlton to ever hold him accountable while 2nd stringers get eternally banished to the VFL for less.

Back