Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Step too far to compare him to what Picken was? I think in terms of role and overall impact week to week, there’s no reason Weightman can’t do that for us. He’s the type of mid/forward you want filling out your team, rather than the overload of midfielders and VFL players occupying the forward line spots
Hadn’t thought of that comparison but I like it! He could have a similar impact in the role for sure, we’ve lacked a genuine forward who can pinch hit in the middle for a while now

On the other hand, the previous Bulldogs would have capitulated. The reports should have focused on our fightback from a lapse.
I said the same to my mate, there is not a chance we win this game last year. Zero chance. We’re taking steps in the right direction as a ‘serious’ team

The shittier the win the happier I am atm tbh, we know we can fire at the pointy end of the season - but we’ve never been consistent or professional enough to give ourselves an actual base to build from. Just bank wins now and if we can find ourselves in top 4 at the end of the season, well we know what we’re capable of when finals roll around

Naughton's efforts to win a groundball to set up Scott's snap goal in the 2nd was immense.
4 or 5 repeat efforts at max intensity, never gave up, its a trait of most of the great forwards of the game, a lesson to all our forwards

Then watch the assist to Jamarra's goal in the last to put us 3 up. Got tripped, bounced up like a cat and took off. He was so quick he was all on his own at 60m out, and weitering had to leave his man.

Letting Carlton kick 6 in a row was not good for the heart, but it made the win all the more special after seeing those arrogant Carlton supports come to life thinking they were going to win, only for Libba The Legend to stick a dagger in the heart.

Neale was absolutely robbed. It’s criminal that instead of Bont in 2021 and Neale in 2022, we live in a world where Wines and Cripps are among the least deserving Brownlow winners in recent history

It is the greatest irony of our game that the persons (umpires) whom we claim know nothing of our great game and constantly officiate* in a way that dumbfounds us are the same persons who determine the game’s most prestigious award.

*The changing of the rules and interpretation does not help and makes it a lot worse.

The AFL Coaches votes should determine who the best performed player is each season. They actually understand the game, the roles the players are allocated and how they execute each week, including contextual stuff like injuries etc.

Interesting that as Arty Jones was taking possession for that goal, Ed Richards was waving his arms on the inside calling for it. Richards opponent was moving towards Jones.

Richards was too far forward to have come off HB/back of the square from the CB, did he come off the wing nearer the broadcast side?

Last edited:
Agree, I just think regardless of his new role it shouldn't take until Carlton kick 6 in a row to get him up for a CBA

But it should also be noted that Macrae only played 68% of the match tonight, his lowest for any match he didn't get injured in since R16 2014, that's almost 9 years ago. I think it's pretty clear that something is bothering him and I think the rumour is/was that it is ribs. He hasn't been bad but it would be great if we could get his fitness back.
If he has a rib issue makes sense we are keeping him out of CBA"s until it resolves too have him fully fit. Obviously last night was decided the reward was worth the risk.
Like to see him get get back to his best to keep up the quality midfield rotations

Pittonet is strong when he's basically allowed to block his opponent's movement with outstretched arms and open palms literally metres away from the drop of the ball.

I agree that English didn't handle it particularly well, but there were a solid 15 block frees there.
Carlton definitely got the better of the umpiring decisions last night. A number of times when going for the loose ball and the Carlton player would tackle player without ball and throw them aside to take possession of the ball.
How can that be legal? It cost us a number of times lucky someone else was holding the remote

Is Jamarra the most “almost” player in the league? It’s triggering
He needs to spend preseason doing whatever the * Arty was doing all off-season!

If he can just get a little more ‘sticky’ ie the ground balls he attacks at speed start sticking, a few more of the marks he gets his hands to start sticking he becomes a seriously dangerous player. I really dunno what this guy is gonna be at 25 but I think he’s going to be *ing amazing tbh, his ceiling is so bloody high

For those who watched the whole game I was intrigued to see that Richards had about 20 possessions before HT but only finished with 25 for the match. Clearly he was very dominant early but what happened after HT? Did he fade? Was he tagged? Was this one of the reasons Carlton started to get back into the game, by somehow quelling Ed?
Think it came down to the change in Carlton's forward structure that was the main cause with the smalls going deeper forward. Cut down the opportunity for Ed to get involved as had to be more defensively focus being closer to goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a night of melts. jubilation and memes. A bit more of an extended take. More good than bad tonight but still a couple of glaring bad ones.

Positives:

• That was probably the best game I've seen Ed Richards play and hes had some really good ones this year. He is quietly developing into an elite footballer who consistently beats opponents 1 on 1. 25 disposals going at 90% last night and barely got a mention by the commentary past half time. They seemed shocked that he was getting so much of the ball in the first half.
  • Arty and Jamarra - the spring in their legs throughout the game now is a real strength. Arty was everywhere late in the game. Jamarra's kicking inside 50 is elite. We finally have forwards that are thinking crumb instead of fly sometimes.
  • Bailey Smith's running ability is elite and no surprise that he was right there again with Arty and Jamarra as the most noticeable at the end. Thrived when given more responsibility and despite some poor defensive work and missed tackles, its probably worthwhile considering that Treloar make way for him in the centre moving forward, given where both are in their respective careers.
  • I've been happy to be completely wrong about Liam Jones - I was harsh on him during pre-season but he has far outperformed my expectations in our system. Playing a much more mature role than he did at Carlton where I thought he was a flashy interceptor, but conceded far too many scores to his direct opponent. In the past handful of games for us he has been a nightmare for his opponent, and also made some good decisions to peel off and help others. Massive tick.
  • Lobb had some important moments with the two goals and also rolled back in defense and was a get-out target on the wing. Its obvious that he's useful when hes involved and the coaches are constantly moving him about to keep him involved.

Negatives:

• The JOD selection, position, and subbing. The kid actually had a decent ability to read the ball and had a couple of nice touches, but basically got cast into the fire with very little preparation, put in an alien position to him, and then got subbed. Mind-boggling decision by our coaching staff. We could have added a player into the lineup that would have contributed more, and not hurt a new players' confidence like that.
  • The umpiring last night was disgraceful. Pittonet just completely yeeted basic rucking rules out the window and the umpires didnt care. He was blocking Lobb and English 4 or 5 metres away from the ball's dropzone at clearance and it was ignored. Carlton players were given an eternity to dispose of the ball whilst being spun 360, 720, 900, thrown to the ground, you name it. Cripps gets his arms pinned in tackles and just spoons the ball out and never gets a call. I have absolutely no idea what the threshold for amount of time until holding the ball is anymore. Our forwards had their arms hacked off or had front-on contact about 5 times with absolutely nothing called and then Curnow got breathed on and got shots at goal. For what was a relatively close game, and one which we lead wire to wire bar 2 minutes, it was very one-sided officiating, more so in the stuff we didnt get vs the stuff they did.
  • The commentary was even more one-sided than the officiating. If it was up to them, we may aswell have not played in that game last night. The losing team was talked about for 80% of the game.

Commentators seem perpetually shocked that Libba is able to slot goals from 40-50 out.
It continues to amaze me that it continues to amaze them that libba is a good kick. He has been in the top handfull of kicks at our club since he got there.. If I had to choose someone at the club to hit someone else on the tit from 50m away...off either foot...Libba would almost be last man standing....for the last 11 or 12 years.

The Sunday Footy Show guys gave Lewis Young 7 votes and nothing for Richards 😂

After a night of melts. jubilation and memes. A bit more of an extended take. More good than bad tonight but still a couple of glaring bad ones.

Positives:

• That was probably the best game I've seen Ed Richards play and hes had some really good ones this year. He is quietly developing into an elite footballer who consistently beats opponents 1 on 1. 25 disposals going at 90% last night and barely got a mention by the commentary past half time. They seemed shocked that he was getting so much of the ball in the first half.
  • Arty and Jamarra - the spring in their legs throughout the game now is a real strength. Arty was everywhere late in the game. Jamarra's kicking inside 50 is elite. We finally have forwards that are thinking crumb instead of fly sometimes.
  • Bailey Smith's running ability is elite and no surprise that he was right there again with Arty and Jamarra as the most noticeable at the end. Thrived when given more responsibility and despite some poor defensive work and missed tackles, its probably worthwhile considering that Treloar make way for him in the centre moving forward, given where both are in their respective careers.
  • I've been happy to be completely wrong about Liam Jones - I was harsh on him during pre-season but he has far outperformed my expectations in our system. Playing a much more mature role than he did at Carlton where I thought he was a flashy interceptor, but conceded far too many scores to his direct opponent. In the past handful of games for us he has been a nightmare for his opponent, and also made some good decisions to peel off and help others. Massive tick.
  • Lobb had some important moments with the two goals and also rolled back in defense and was a get-out target on the wing. Its obvious that he's useful when hes involved and the coaches are constantly moving him about to keep him involved.

Negatives:

• The JOD selection, position, and subbing. The kid actually had a decent ability to read the ball and had a couple of nice touches, but basically got cast into the fire with very little preparation, put in an alien position to him, and then got subbed. Mind-boggling decision by our coaching staff. We could have added a player into the lineup that would have contributed more, and not hurt a new players' confidence like that.
  • The umpiring last night was disgraceful. Pittonet just completely yeeted basic rucking rules out the window and the umpires didnt care. He was blocking Lobb and English 4 or 5 metres away from the ball's dropzone at clearance and it was ignored. Carlton players were given an eternity to dispose of the ball whilst being spun 360, 720, 900, thrown to the ground, you name it. Cripps gets his arms pinned in tackles and just spoons the ball out and never gets a call. I have absolutely no idea what the threshold for amount of time until holding the ball is anymore. Our forwards had their arms hacked off or had front-on contact about 5 times with absolutely nothing called and then Curnow got breathed on and got shots at goal. For what was a relatively close game, and one which we lead wire to wire bar 2 minutes, it was very one-sided officiating, more so in the stuff we didnt get vs the stuff they did.
  • The commentary was even more one-sided than the officiating. If it was up to them, we may aswell have not played in that game last night. The losing team was talked about for 80% of the game.
Agree about the umpiring. English in particular was mauled.

Funniest bit was when Jones was infringed, yet everyone just expected Curnow to get the free. Lots of booing from Carl supporters - despite the fact he was no where near the action. Talk about entitled!

The umpiring last night was disgraceful. Pittonet just completely yeeted basic rucking rules out the window and the umpires didnt care. He was blocking Lobb and English 4 or 5 metres away from the ball's dropzone at clearance and it was ignored. Carlton players were given an eternity to dispose of the ball whilst being spun 360, 720, 900, thrown to the ground, you name it. Cripps gets his arms pinned in tackles and just spoons the ball out and never gets a call. I have absolutely no idea what the threshold for amount of time until holding the ball is anymore. Our forwards had their arms hacked off or had front-on contact about 5 times with absolutely nothing called and then Curnow got breathed on and got shots at goal. For what was a relatively close game, and one which we lead wire to wire bar 2 minutes, it was very one-sided officiating, more so in the stuff we didnt get vs the stuff they did.
This was genuinely infuriating, Pittonet did it all night - you have to allow the opposition ruck to attend the drop of the ball ffs. There was at least 5 times neither ruckmen actually got hands to the ball as that big * was more focused on keeping Timmy away from it. He could have been done for 10 blocking infringements last night but he didn’t get a single one, The only time they called a ruck free was against Tim for holding as he tried to scrag his way to the ******* ball.

There was a just a blatant disrespect for the rules last night, I genuinely think the umps out there didn’t know the rules. How about McKays 50 in the last qtr, the free kick was hard up on the boundary - yet they moved the mark to directly in front 60m from goal.

Am I *ed here or is that just plain wrong? Since when have we started centering guys for 50m penalties? It should be on the direct line of the free 50m up the ground.

And yeah I think we got our first holding the ball late in the last qtr when we had them dead to rights at least 10 times prior. Pay holding the ball ffs. The missed chopped arms at both ends, it was really really lopsided last night

Are you seriously going there? He nearly cost us the game by playing a backman in the forward line on debut then leaving Keith on Curnow late in the game. Wake up
Not sure what game you watched but all 3 of our backline talls stood Curnow through out the game including the last qtr... Nothing changed? When Carlton went in there fwd fifty 29 times in the 1st half for 1 goal (yep 1 goal) nothing changed, if curnow went up the ground Keith would generlly be the one to pick him up, if he went deep Gardy got the job most of the time (depending on the rest of the make up of Carltons fwd line). In the last qtr Curnow started deep and Gardy stood him, late in the game when Curnow started around 30 mtrs out Jones stood him. Curnow actually had 2 of his 3 last qtrs scores on Jones (free kick on the 50 for a point & a snap in the fwd pocket for another behind). I get it you don't like Keith and the coach but don't tell people to wake up who have differing opinions specially when yours may not be as accurate as you want them to be?

After 9 games last year we 4-5 and looking like a bottom 8 side. This year we are 6-3 and look like we could do something seriously exciting this year. The pickup of Liam Jones has been astounding. I thought he'd be good but he has been amazing and without him I don't know if we are winning some of these closer games. I'll admit that after his first couple of games I'd thought the Lobb pickup was average but after the last 3-4 weeks I think we finally seeing why we did it. Way better option than having Cordy or Bruce in the ruck and kick a straight one.

Arty and Ed have all seemed to go up another level over the last couple of weeks and really exciting to see how they track for the rest of the season. Bailey Smith looked a lot more dangerous playing in the centre and hopefully even with Treloar back he gets some time there. Been really impressed with Dale and Williams thought they had very quiet last year but have picked it up this season. Why JJ hasn't played HB for his all career is crazy his run through the middle has to be up there with the best in the league. Overall, very positive signs got some winnable games before Geelong which could really show if we have what it takes.

On the other hand, the previous Bulldogs would have capitulated. The reports should have focused on our fightback from a lapse.

Agree. That's why I left early. Glad they proved me wrong. I promised before the game I would stay & cheer them off no matter what - very Caaarrlton like performance from myself. I hang my head in shame.....but I took my negativity out of the stadium which obviously helped the cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back