Preview Fremantle vs Sydney Swans @7:40pm Saturday 22nd July Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like no Sean Darcy for Fremantle

Outs: Melican (inj), Rampe (probably and for mystifying reasons), Franklin (injured knee,rested from ridiculous concrete Oval), Clarke (sub)

Ins: Lloyd ( if recovered), Francis, Arnold or MacAndrew

Optus has a terrible surface and is in part responsible for the injury tolls at Freo and the Chooks. Vision after the Tigs game showed Franklins left knee already looking quite swollen as he left the ground. I expect after his grinding effort against Footscray, the knee won’t have improved. I see no reason to risk finishing his career on the concrete Perf surface.

For similar reasons I would not be taking Ruck Jesus. The bloke is cooked and will not be able to keep up with Jackson around that ground.

Most likely Freo will miss Darcy, leaving Jackson as their lead ruck. We have a choice of keeping HMac as pinch hitter at ruck contests and tagging Jackson around the ground or addressing our inability to win clearances. Ladhams looked way off it in the twos and needs another run at the very least. He and Hickey were flogged by the mediocre Sweet in the ruck and around the ground.

It won’t happen but I would play Big Mac for his ability to win ruck contests and palm to advantage. His contested marking has also improved and imo is better than Hickey nowadays or Ladhams. I was appalled he was not given more time on Friday. I’d have him sharing with HMac 60/40 and spending a bit of bench time. BUT as like as not RJ will play and hobble about after Jackson.

I assume McDonald just had a shocker on Thursday and is not affected by injury and will play. A forward line including him and Amartey with HMac there for short term stints is plenty tall enough on that fast deck. With neither of our mediums able to hit the side of a barn from set shots we will be looking to the Papley and Wicks combo to provide scoring threat.

With one certain more likely two probable losses to our backline we need to look for replacements. If fully recovered Lloyd walks back in and Francis is the other cert. Freo have some seriously talented young tall forwards and I’d be tempted to debut Arnold who can lock down as well as intercept mark.

Unless we improve ruck service at clearances, I cannot see how our vaunted mids will do much better. We simply lack the system and inside acumen to win possession. Imo Mills through combination of injury and being used in defensive roles is not effective as a mid at the moment. Parker is same as ever with his strengths and weaknesses. Rowy’s primary role is still to tackle. Others run through there with some odd success. We are bloody lucky Errol is both a star and a workhorse and that JMac has returned to form

Clarke was completely ineffective is his half game as sub and should not be used there again. I’d add he was poor in the half game he played in the 2s. I’d have Matt Roberts as sub. Thought he showed in the 2s he was fit and in form.
It's hard for the other forwards, especially Logan, when Franklin is out there. We target him so often, often stupidly. With no Franklin, Logan always shines. I don't think they are compatible. Dogs also put a lot more fine into Logan than Franklin. BHD had a 50 game junior on him.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Outs: Melican (inj), Rampe (probably and for mystifying reasons), Franklin (injured knee,rested from ridiculous concrete Oval), Clarke (sub)

Ins: Lloyd ( if recovered), Francis, Arnold or MacAndrew

Optus has a terrible surface and is in part responsible for the injury tolls at Freo and the Chooks. Vision after the Tigs game showed Franklins left knee already looking quite swollen as he left the ground. I expect after his grinding effort against Footscray, the knee won’t have improved. I see no reason to risk finishing his career on the concrete Perf surface.

For similar reasons I would not be taking Ruck Jesus. The bloke is cooked and will not be able to keep up with Jackson around that ground.

Most likely Freo will miss Darcy, leaving Jackson as their lead ruck. We have a choice of keeping HMac as pinch hitter at ruck contests and tagging Jackson around the ground or addressing our inability to win clearances. Ladhams looked way off it in the twos and needs another run at the very least. He and Hickey were flogged by the mediocre Sweet in the ruck and around the ground.

It won’t happen but I would play Big Mac for his ability to win ruck contests and palm to advantage. His contested marking has also improved and imo is better than Hickey nowadays or Ladhams. I was appalled he was not given more time on Friday. I’d have him sharing with HMac 60/40 and spending a bit of bench time. BUT as like as not RJ will play and hobble about after Jackson.

I assume McDonald just had a shocker on Thursday and is not affected by injury and will play. A forward line including him and Amartey with HMac there for short term stints is plenty tall enough on that fast deck. With neither of our mediums able to hit the side of a barn from set shots we will be looking to the Papley and Wicks combo to provide scoring threat.

With one certain more likely two probable losses to our backline we need to look for replacements. If fully recovered Lloyd walks back in and Francis is the other cert. Freo have some seriously talented young tall forwards and I’d be tempted to debut Arnold who can lock down as well as intercept mark.

Unless we improve ruck service at clearances, I cannot see how our vaunted mids will do much better. We simply lack the system and inside acumen to win possession. Imo Mills through combination of injury and being used in defensive roles is not effective as a mid at the moment. Parker is same as ever with his strengths and weaknesses. Rowy’s primary role is still to tackle. Others run through there with some odd success. We are bloody lucky Errol is both a star and a workhorse and that JMac has returned to form

Clarke was completely ineffective is his half game as sub and should not be used there again. I’d add he was poor in the half game he played in the 2s. I’d have Matt Roberts as sub. Thought he showed in the 2s he was fit and in form.
I like the idea of Matty Roberts coming in. A hard, big bodied mid. I hope they make the move

It's hard for the other forwards, especially Logan, when Franklin is out there. We target him so often, often stupidly. With no Franklin, Logan always shines. I don't think they are compatible. Dogs also put a lot more fine into Logan than Franklin. BHD had a 50 game junior on him.

I think the reason franklin is credited with being the target so often is because of the player he is , and the experience he has. I think at least half of the so called kicking to franklin is him getting to the contest and making a contest when it is hack kicked or long bombed.
Conversely, Logan amartey etc aren't yet experienced enough to not get buffeted away or outpositioned . Our entries are often not directed to a player as much as a spot . We haven't been clean enough with entries to target franklin imo

If we do rest Bud and worst case Rampe gets done based on "the vibe" of the footage, then...

Out: Rampe, Melican, Bud
In: Arnold/Francis, Lloyd, Buller

Corey out for Chad if he gets up, but otherwise I'm not sure there's anyone else from reserves that would be brought in. I'd like to see Stephens again, but won't hold my breath.

TMac on Amiss
Fox on Treacy
Arnold as interceptor, or if they bring someone in for Darcy. Probably Francis anyway.

Buller gives us 3 who can go in the ruck against Jackson.
What about Roberts? He had a good game in a shire team

Do we go in with the same ruck strategy or take the risk with a Hickey or Ladhams? Imo one of them will be named emergency at the very least, probably Hickey.
Outs: Melican, Rampe*
Ins: Lloyd, Francis*

I don't think they'll make any further changes, possibly Corey Warner for a Clarke or someone else.

Do we go in with the same ruck strategy or take the risk with a Hickey or Ladhams? Imo one of them will be named emergency at the very least, probably Hickey.
Outs: Melican, Rampe*
Ins: Lloyd, Francis*

I don't think they'll make any further changes, possibly Corey Warner for a Clarke or someone else.

Same strategy for me, I'd like us to almost use the rest of this year to see whether McLean can play that roaming ruck role, whilst he was beaten just he took some great grabs in the game too so against probably this years AA ruck he held his own.

What about Roberts? He had a good game in a shire team

I don't know why we'd play Roberts. He didn't look that impressive in the VFL (not knocking him, it was his first full game back) and if Warner returns there isn't really a spot for him.

Same strategy for me, I'd like us to almost use the rest of this year to see whether McLean can play that roaming ruck role, whilst he was beaten just he took some great grabs in the game too so against probably this years AA ruck he held his own.

That's a good point. English didn't have any contested marks. Imo Mclean/Amartey need to be better at limiting opposition rucks clearances & contested possessions if we're to continue with this strategy. English dominated the clearances & contested possessions.

That's a good point. English didn't have any contested marks. Imo Mclean/Amartey need to be better at limiting opposition rucks clearances & contested possessions if we're to continue with this strategy. English dominated the clearances & contested possessions.

Yeah absolutely has to improve a bit but Inthought there were enough signs to give it 3 weeks of a trial. English is a gun he’ll be the AA ruck, but if you said before the game tht McLean would almost break even I’d assume you were drunk. Even late in the game McLean took a big contested mark, did heaps of good things. However in the coal face as ruck he needs to work on his clearance work and tap work. Feel of all the players we have going forward he’s the most likely second ruck, Logan to ply that forwardline ruck like Hawkins/Tex.

Only just back from injury, would give him another game or two at least before consideration from a fitness perspective.

Unfortunately another bye this week, so might be a little while.

Only as Sub for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beaten just? We watched different games. We played McLean as our main ruck a few years back, and while he's a bit bigger now, there's not much to suggest that he's more mobile and able to do that much around the ground. He took 1 contested mark against a guy not known for contested marking (although he averages as many as McLean).

McLean is a backup ruck at best, and even then, 3rd to Amartey when fully fit. The reason he may ruck as no.1 this week is purely down to the alternatives.

Beaten just? We watched different games. We played McLean as our main ruck a few years back, and while he's a bit bigger now, there's not much to suggest that he's more mobile and able to do that much around the ground. He took 1 contested mark against a guy not known for contested marking (although he averages as many as McLean).

McLean is a backup ruck at best, and even then, 3rd to Amartey when fully fit. The reason he may ruck as no.1 this week is purely down to the alternatives.

Watch the game again. Did heaps around the ground pleanty of contests took some contested marks and his opponent took donuts.

Have I been on the devil's lettuce again or am I actually reading that McLean/Amartey nearly "broke even" with Tim English?

I love McLean but that was as brutal and one-sided a ruck beating as I've ever seen. We were one stop short of being non-competitive in the ruck contests, and whilst Horse & co at times having three mids all being negative didn't help, McLean conceding the most hitouts for a Bulldogs ruckman of all time is not "breaking even" to me.

That McLean and Amartey somewhat nullifying English's impact around the ground is being hailed as some kind of victory is exactly why we're in the mess we are with our rucks. We've become too complacent with our rucks who are good around the ground but deadset liabilities in the midfield.

I will say I don't blame McLean at all. He's not a first ruck and with his height, never will be. He fought hard as he always does. But it's not a strategy I want to repeat.

Watch the game again. Did heaps around the ground pleanty of contests took some contested marks and his opponent took donuts.
He got much fewer clearances, much less of the ball, took 1 contested mark, and the same number of marks as English. English also contributed much more going forward, some great service I50.

Have I been on the devil's lettuce again or am I actually reading that McLean/Amartey nearly "broke even" with Tim English?

I love McLean but that was as brutal and one-sided a ruck beating as I've ever seen. We were one stop short of being non-competitive in the ruck contests, and whilst Horse & co at times having three mids all being negative didn't help, McLean conceding the most hitouts for a Bulldogs ruckman of all time is not "breaking even" to me.

That McLean and Amartey somewhat nullifying English's impact around the ground is being hailed as some kind of victory is exactly why we're in the mess we are with our rucks. We've become too complacent with our rucks who are good around the ground but deadset liabilities in the midfield.

I will say I don't blame McLean at all. He's not a first ruck and with his height, never will be. He fought hard as he always does. But it's not a strategy I want to repeat.
It's not a failure of McLean, but just some wishful thinking. We found out McLean wasn't going to be a no.1 ruck a long time ago. Not even our best part timer.

He got much fewer clearances, much less of the ball, took 1 contested mark, and the same number of marks as English. English also contributed much more going forward, some great service I50.

I said he was beaten but it wasn’t by that much. Worth seeing how it goes for 2-3 weeks. Look at it as an exercise for next year. We need to find our second ruck for next year, Ladhams being primary ruck.

I said he was beaten but it wasn’t by that much. Worth seeing how it goes for 2-3 weeks. Look at it as an exercise for next year. We need to find our second ruck for next year, Ladhams being primary ruck.
McLean hasn't shown much as a key forward & is definitely not going to develop as a premier ruck.

We need more than "tries hard". We need quality.

Having said that - the cupboard is currently bare, so I understand Horse's use of McLean. He was no downgrade on Hickey.

We already know that McLean or Amartey will likely be the backup ruck though? With Ladhams, McAndrew or a new face being primary.

We know how it'll go as well. There's not some mystery here. And I'm not even saying bring Hickey back in straight away, because that'll likely go a similar way.

McLean hasn't shown much as a key forward & is definitely not going to develop as a premier ruck.

We need more than "tries hard". We need quality.

You may be right and I’m not disagreeing with you. I have said all along use the rest of the year to prepare for next year. I ask you this who is our FWD/ruck next year who acts as the second ruck? I have no idea. Ladhams gets the number 1 ruck but he needs 20% chop out. Is that MCLean? Is it Amartey? Might be a good idea to find out before next season.

We already know that McLean or Amartey will likely be the backup ruck though? With Ladhams, McAndrew or a new face being primary.

We know how it'll go as well. There's not some mystery here. And I'm not even saying bring Hickey back in straight away, because that'll likely go a similar way.

Whoever we want as the second ruck next year should ruck the rest of this season as they will get better at the craft especially with Dean Cox there. I’d only play Hickey in a retirement game last round

This may be another opportunity to play a developing McAndrew. Particularly w the big fella out for Freo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back