5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

feel free to point to anytime in the last 50 years where an old ball was swapped for a newish one....

I've never seen it and I've watched cricket for a long time.

so explain how it happened?
No one is denying they got a better ball.

You seem to be concluding that this was a purposeful and deliberate act of manipulation by the ECB rather than an act of negligence and a failure on the ICC/umpires to provide balls that cover a range of condition or age.

4.5 Ball lost or becoming unfit for play

If, during play, the ball cannot be found or recovered or the umpires agree that it has become unfit for play through normal use, the umpires shall replace it with a ball which has had wear comparable with that which the previous ball had received before the need for its replacement. When the ball is replaced, the umpire shall inform the batters and the fielding captain.

That clearly didn't happen. Umpire incompetence and/or bias on display.

Didn't the batsmen used to get a say in the process, or am I imagining things?
Yeh I can remember both batsman and bowler hovering over the case and discussing which ball should be used.

The ball was replaced on day 4 . A few overs bowled with it . No wickets fell so no gripe about it. I mean there was 16 hours before next days play to go find one . Next perfect bowling conditions day , 3 quick wickets fall . Then 130 run partnership then a 7 wicket collapse blamed on a ball .
Ussie spoke about what those 11 balls did before stumps. Maybe no wickets but did plenty. He told the players after the end of play to watch out for the ball, that it behaved much differently.

No one is denying they got a better ball.

You seem to be concluding that this was a purposeful and deliberate act of manipulation by the ECB rather than an act of negligence and a failure on the ICC/umpires to provide balls that cover a range of condition or age.
That useless incompetent flog Joel Wilson. The umpire who fks everything he does. He may have cost us 2 series in England on his own.

Also the cycle of big tours is now out of whack. We're now basically scheduled once every four years to do 5 test tours of India, England and a world cup in the same year with none of the other major tours (maybe SA I guess?) in the intervening period

I thought when they did the extra Ashes series in England about 10 years ago it was to avoid that, did the BCCI change the world cup timing?

Every Australian in this thread?

We didn't lose, so the only sore losers are the Australians and they've been sooking for 2 days straight...
England and their fans have spent a whole series sooking and whinging, not to mention their utter hyprocrisy.

Most of us can tell the difference between the age of balls and how they look and behave.

Y’all getting trolled by a guy with 50k posts and 10 likes lol

piers Morgan is that you

Oh no, I post stuff people don't like and don't get lots of likes, that would kill the Twitter generation...

It may shock you to know there used to be a world without likes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no, I post stuff people don't like and don't get lots of likes, that would kill the Twitter generation...
Speaking of, will you finally concede that you were laughably wrong about Khawaja returning to the Test side yet?

If it was India i'd pedal it. Not so sure about the ECB though.
Doesn't really make sense for the ECB/CA/BCCI to fill a box of newish spare balls before the test starts and give them to the match referee/umpires hoping to benefit from receiving a new ball 30-50 overs in, knowing it may be the opposition who is gets this benefit.

What has happened here is simply a case of the ICC not doing their job by ensuring that the spare balls covered a range of conditions. Hopefully, there is a review and there are systems or controls put in place to ensure this doesn't occur again.

Yes Australia were dudded. Did it cost us the match? Who knows. We could have collpased the next morning upon resumption. We also could have won. Different conditions on day 5. Who knows how the old ball would have performed? I'd say with much more certainty that we would have been in a better position to win the match had we held our catches on day 1 more than a debate about a ball change when we were 250 odd (?) away from a record breaking target.

Last edited:

It may shock you to know there used to be a world without likes.

which in general means you are a s**t poster.

Ussie spoke about what those 11 balls did before stumps. Maybe no wickets but did plenty. He told the players after the end of play to watch out for the ball, that it behaved much differently.
Yeah the original ball was obviously a dud ball from the start . What does telling new players it behaves differently mean . They haven't faced any balls yet . I don't think any batter wants a ball change and for an English commentator agreeing the Aussies wouldn't be happy with that ball isn't surprising .

Speaking of, will you finally concede that you were laughably wrong about Khawaja returning to the Test side yet?

The FTB has had a bit of luck and done a bit better than expected, but he has surpassed Shane Watson for selfish reviews.

With his reviews, complaining that they got penalised for disgracefully slow over rates and the change of ball, has become a bit of a sook. At least he is coming out of his shell...

43.2 Given lbw! Did this pitch outside leg? Khawaja reviews. Fuller length, he's caught on the crease and hit plumb infront of middle and leg. It pitched inline and straightened down the line! That's out. Smashing middle and leg. Australia burn a review. 141/2
51.5 given lbw! Khawaja reviews after a long chat with Smith but it looks in hope. This was full and straight, angled in, no real shape, he was caught on crease and playing the wrong line, hit plumb on the knee roll and ball tracking has it crashing into leg! He has missed a pretty straight one there and lost a review. 115/3
4.6 pitched up, pinned on the back leg! Joel Wilson thinks about it, thinks about it... and raises the finger! But Khawaja is going to review after a chat with Warner. Superb line from Broad, similar to the third ball of the over but this is fuller. Nips and beats the bat off the deck, hitting just above the knee roll... and ball-tracking has it smashing into middle! Test wicket No. 599 for Stuart Broad, and England are up and running 15/1
10.2 Extra pace and bounce! Up goes the finger for a snick behind! Khawaja looks a touch bemused, and reviews. Must admit, I didn't think he'd touched it but England were convinced! There it is! A tiny snick but palpable all the same! Huge wicket! It was outside the eyeline, no need to follow it, but wheels is wheels. 32/1

Every Australian in this thread?

We didn't lose, so the only sore losers are the Australians and they've been sooking for 2 days straight...
2 days?

The English pricks have been sooking since the start of the series. Just a heads up. You guys had to win to get the urn. You didn't. So you lost.

The FTB has had a bit of luck and done a bit better than expected, but he has surpassed Shane Watson for selfish reviews.

With his reviews, complaining that they got penalised for disgracefully slow over rates and the change of ball, has become a bit of a sook. At least he is coming out of his shell...

43.2 Given lbw! Did this pitch outside leg? Khawaja reviews. Fuller length, he's caught on the crease and hit plumb infront of middle and leg. It pitched inline and straightened down the line! That's out. Smashing middle and leg. Australia burn a review. 141/2
51.5 given lbw! Khawaja reviews after a long chat with Smith but it looks in hope. This was full and straight, angled in, no real shape, he was caught on crease and playing the wrong line, hit plumb on the knee roll and ball tracking has it crashing into leg! He has missed a pretty straight one there and lost a review. 115/3
4.6 pitched up, pinned on the back leg! Joel Wilson thinks about it, thinks about it... and raises the finger! But Khawaja is going to review after a chat with Warner. Superb line from Broad, similar to the third ball of the over but this is fuller. Nips and beats the bat off the deck, hitting just above the knee roll... and ball-tracking has it smashing into middle! Test wicket No. 599 for Stuart Broad, and England are up and running 15/1
10.2 Extra pace and bounce! Up goes the finger for a snick behind! Khawaja looks a touch bemused, and reviews. Must admit, I didn't think he'd touched it but England were convinced! There it is! A tiny snick but palpable all the same! Huge wicket! It was outside the eyeline, no need to follow it, but wheels is wheels. 32/1
Geez this is embarrassing from you.

Just admit you were laughably incorrect, Eddie. It's okay, we won't think less of you.

Geez this is embarrassing from you.

Just admit you were laughably incorrect, Eddie. It's okay, we won't think less of you.

Embarrassing is going to the ICC president and complaining about getting penalised for bowling 75 overs in a day as if that should become acceptable...

Embarrassing is going to the ICC president and complaining about getting penalised for bowling 75 overs in a day as if that should become acceptable...
head-tap.gif

Back