5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/08/01/moaning-aussies-quit-complaining-ashes-was-great-escape/

"If we are really honest, England could have won all five Tests, certainly they were good enough to win 4-0. They were winning at Edgbaston for 90 per cent of the time and it was even-stevens at Lord’s until brainless batting cost them their wickets."

"They were totally outplayed in three Tests and in the other two England gave it away."

Seriously, never any credit being given to this Australian team for winning those first two tests and never any acknowledgment that we could have won both Headingley and The Oval.

The margins were almost identical in the tests that had results yet we were outplayed in our losses but England was unlucky in theirs.

* the poms and this attitude. I'm no greater lover of Indian cricket but I hope India annihilates them 5-0 in January.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/08/01/moaning-aussies-quit-complaining-ashes-was-great-escape/

Seriously, never any credit being given to this Australian team for winning those first two tests and never any acknowledgment that we could have won both Headingley and The Oval.

The margins were almost identical in the tests that had results yet we were outplayed in our losses but England was unlucky in theirs.

* the poms and this attitude. I'm no greater lover of Indian cricket but I hope India annihilates them 5-0 in January.
Can you imagine bazball on a bunsen burner wicket with Jadeja and Ashwin. The likes if Crawley, Duckett and Brook will crumble.

Can you imagine bazball on a bunsen burner wicket with Jadeja and Ashwin. The likes if Crawley, Duckett and Brook will crumble.
We will find out shortly england play them this summer over there for 5 tests.

India's strategy will be fascinating they doctored it too far in Indore and it backfired. Just like pune 2017 they went too far and made it a lottery.

Then produce a road in Ahmedabad to protect a 2-1 lead in the series.

Reckon they will go for a pitch they produced in the first 2 tests slow and gradual deterioration.

I’ve been away; presumably you are writabout McCallum; apparently there are are huge problems with Ponting at the Delhi Capitals and in Tasmania with his management of players and his constant whining about things not going his way or the teams.
Never met the guy but all the people I know who have dealt with him on/off field say the same thing .

Ponting not so sure . Very high cricket IQ and super competitive . May not be such a popular mix in the IPL

I’ve been away; presumably you are writabout McCallum; apparently there are are huge problems with Ponting at the Delhi Capitals and in Tasmania with his management of players and his constant whining about things not going his way or the teams.
Precious Indian millionaires can't handle a bit of tough love.

Punter was always a tough and uncompromising player and captain. What he lacked in tactics he made up for with man management and leadership.

I don't recall too many players crictised Punter's leadership when playing with him. He may have been tactically short but he always had his players back.

Compare Watto's record under punter then Clarke's.

One had his back and the other called him a cancer.

That's just one example.

Precious Indian millionaires can't handle a bit of tough love.

Punter was always a tough and uncompromising player and captain. What he lacked in tactics he made up for with man management and leadership.

I don't recall too many players crictised Punter's leadership when playing with him. He may have been tactically short but he always had his players back.

Compare Watto's record under punter then Clarke's.

One had his back and the other called him a cancer.

That's just one example.
When he didn't have Warne or McGrath to throw the ball to he didn't have much of a plan b.

When he didn't have Warne or McGrath to throw the ball to he didn't have much of a plan b.
Can't find it but there's that famous photo of Ponting (captain) and Clarke (VC) during the 2010/11 ashes looking totally forlorn on one of the dressing room balconies (pretty sure Sydney).

Ponting was a very good leader of men but tactically definitely not great.

feel free to point to anytime in the last 50 years where an old ball was swapped for a newish one....

I've never seen it and I've watched cricket for a long time.

so explain how it happened?
Hanlon's razor: never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

Agree with all this with one anomaly with Anderson . He wasn't a great bowler at the beginning of his career . Then he learned to swing the ball both ways with new and old ball and was no1 bowler in the world for a while and has tapered off again . So for a period in the middle of his career I felt he was in the company of those great bowlers you mentioned .
His last 7-8 years would contend with almost anyone. It's actually a bit of a shame how poor he was this series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't find it but there's that famous photo of Ponting (captain) and Clarke (VC) during the 2010/11 ashes looking totally forlorn on one of the dressing room balconies (pretty sure Sydney).

Ponting was a very good leader of men but tactically definitely not great.

what are you talking about?

Ponting is universally respected around the world as a cricketing genius.

I'm driving back to Adelaide tomorrow (spread over 3 days, for safety).

Many thanks to Gough for the threads and to the posters in here who made it all so interesting and such bloody good fun. Special mention to Gough, FreoGirl (you saucy minx) :winkv1:, Peter Bixley, kickazz , badgrill, Neese , Ishmael_ , BlueBayou, sherb, Slysh, DamoESP, philreich, King Elvis and many more :thumbsupv1::thumbsupv1:

To the aggravating, sulking, whining, supercilious and hypocritical Pommie :poov1: posters, I say:
THE ASHES ARE STILL WITH AUSTRALIA. Suck on that.
Yeah really enjoyed your posts too.

As for the bolded, I guess that depends on where you end up staying each night. 😂

But in all seriousness, the word epic can get overused these days but this journey of WTC + Ashes certainly has been epic and the discussions on here add to it.

It will be a long four years before we can do it all again, hope most of y'all are back for it.

Is he? His commentary is fairly insightful but his captaincy was often derided as unimaginative and reliant on the individual brilliance of himself and his players rather than any tactical nous.

He was a great, uncompromising and tough batsman and he wasn’t a ‘bad’ captain but he wasn’t some sort of analytic demigod either.

His commentary is very good but even then he veers towards the sort of unconditional ‘I would just do this and it would work’ hubris that backfires if you aren’t prepared to accept when it isn’t working.

And we would have - correctly - copped more deductions if Bazball meant England consistently batted for more than 80 overs.

Just reading a bit more, if you bowled a team out in under 80 overs you couldn't receive deductions for that innings. If you bowled a team out twice in under 160 overs you couldn't receive deductions for the match. That's a very dubious sub-clause the ICC has put in there.

EDIT: A bit of a * you to the fans who have been complaining about over rates for years now, and so they should be. That's such a nothing clause really from the ICC. "We've put this in to penalise teams" but in reality, those are pretty massive get-out clauses for fielding teams. Not too mention they give teams about a five-over leeway on bowling their 90 overs in a day (which already has a 30 minute leeway built into the day now).
The clauses make perfect sense

If you are getting a team out twice for under 160 overs then you are finishing the match

Is he? His commentary is fairly insightful but his captaincy was often derided as unimaginative and reliant on the individual brilliance of himself and his players rather than any tactical nous.

He was a great, uncompromising and tough batsman and he wasn’t a ‘bad’ captain but he wasn’t some sort of analytic demigod either.

His commentary is very good but even then he veers towards the sort of unconditional ‘I would just do this and it would work’ hubris that backfires if you aren’t prepared to accept when it isn’t working.
His captaincy was generally considered uninspired but I sometimes find myself thinking "how were you not an all time great captain?" when listening to his commentary. Often has a unique insight or is a step ahead of the rest.
The best new commentator to enter the box in probably twenty years IMO.

His captaincy was generally considered uninspired but I sometimes find myself thinking "how were you not an all time great captain?" when listening to his commentary. Often has a unique insight or is a step ahead of the rest.
The best new commentator to enter the box in probably twenty years IMO.

I enjoy his commentary as well I just get the impression that he would be very inflexible as a captain on the field if he were doing the job now

... as a batsman.

As a captain, he was extremely conservative, and was a worse captain than both of the two he succeeded and the one who followed him.

One could make the argument he underachieved badly with the side he had available. Michael Clarke would've killed for bats of the caliber of Martyn, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist and for McGrath and Warne.

Now, does he provide insights we don't usually get in comms? Absolutely he does, but that makes how conservatively he captained worse, not better.

Why is he tactically brave only from the position of pundit?

... as a batsman.

As a captain, he was extremely conservative, and was a worse captain than both of the two he succeeded and the one who followed him.

One could make the argument he underachieved badly with the side he had available. Michael Clarke would've killed for bats of the caliber of Martyn, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist and for McGrath and Warne.

Now, does he provide insights we don't usually get in comms? Absolutely he does, but that makes how conservatively he captained worse, not better.

Why is he tactically brave only from the position of pundit?

Is he being judged because he had a great team?

Second best winning % in test history and won 2 world cups without losing a game.

Oh no, I post stuff people don't like and don't get lots of likes, that would kill the Twitter generation...

It may shock you to know there used to be a world without likes.
There’s always been attention seekers though

Now that the latest Ashes is in the books, it's time for the WG Grace Spirit of Cricket Awards 2023.

Ashes Team of the Year
1. Crawley
2. Duckett
3. Ali
4. Root
5. Brook
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Woakes
9. Wood
10. Broad
11. Anderson

12th man: Robinson
Apology: Pope

Coach: McCullum

In the Spirit of WG Grace, the result of each test will be reassessed. This is to award teams who play within the true Spirit of the Game, and punish those still stuck in the dark ages before T20, The Hundred and BazBall.

1st Test - Result not counted - Trial Test
2nd Test - Awarded to England due to the stinky, cheating convicts resorting to underarm tactics to dismiss virtuous England wicketkeeper.
3rd Test - Glorious England victory confirmed
4thd Test - Awarded to England on 1st innings result due to cheating convicts bringing their awful Sydney weather to glorious Manchester.
5th Test - See 3rd Test

Revised Ashes Result: Glorious England 4 Cheating Convicts 0

Back