Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've already said a swap for Brockman wouldn't be a bad deal, he is only 20 ( 2 years younger than Liam) .Walters will probably hang up his boots in a few years and he is the ideal indigenous player to replace him. Has all the skills of Walters albeit not quite at the same level but given his age and limited game time ,you can see that it will be there. When i have seen him ,I have been really impressed and often thought how did Hawthorn land this guy, wished that we had him.
I know we have quite a few small forwards now, time will tell how consistent they will be but Walters is in that squad and I just see Brockman as his immediate replacement down the track and only 20 ,big long future. I have a comparison below for this year between Liam and Tyler and Liam does shade him but Tyler hasn't played a lot of games this year but has time on his side and by the time he is 22 ,I think he will be better than Liam.
1693301526618.png

He will be a 30+ goal kicker in time, mark my words
You could ask for Brockman and Hawthorns pick 29 and they get Henry and our pick 40

That’s not how it works. It always amuses me how some people think that it should be a two way street. No. No player is bigger than the club, ergo the club is bigger than any player. Their careers may be short but the network they create while on the list will serve them well after they retire from footy. The ones on struggle street are usually gamblers and alcoholics/drug abusers. The launching pad that is an AFL career (even the short potato ones) is grossly underestimated.

As for Henry, I hope people blaming club would finally stfu. Freo owes Henry nothing. He however owes Freo a lot.
Good luck to him and good riddance
100% agree with this, and why I never backed him this year. He was never playing for the jumper, unlike our true champions like Pavlich and Mundy, who could have at least been tempted "to go home".

You're talking about reasons to leave. We can all list a fair number of those without the assistance of some-a mansplaining. I'm asking about the inherent resistance to that.

We is bleeding players every year that you would think on the surface would be entrenched. Of course we could think it's just the bucks for Brayshaw at Melbourne and maybe it is, but the key is they kept him. They ain't no basketcase.

The message from these yearly "inexplicable" exits, is Bell and co need to get more resourceful at player retention in a serious way and fast.
the poisonous touch of Colin Young

I've already said a swap for Brockman wouldn't be a bad deal, he is only 20 ( 2 years younger than Liam) .Walters will probably hang up his boots in a few years and he is the ideal indigenous player to replace him. Has all the skills of Walters albeit not quite at the same level but given his age and limited game time ,you can see that it will be there. When i have seen him ,I have been really impressed and often thought how did Hawthorn land this guy, wished that we had him.
I know we have quite a few small forwards now, time will tell how consistent they will be but Walters is in that squad and I just see Brockman as his immediate replacement down the track and only 20 ,big long future. I have a comparison below for this year between Liam and Tyler and Liam does shade him but Tyler hasn't played a lot of games this year but has time on his side and by the time he is 22 ,I think he will be better than Liam.
View attachment 1789576

You could ask for Brockman and Hawthorns pick 29 and they get Henry and our pick 40
The 2 years age difference is definitely an important factor to consider and not in a good way. We're on a continual slide backwards in terms of the average playing age. Devolpment when you're swimming against that tide constantly is problematical.

(nevermind they play totally different roles)

Fremantle didn't offer Lobb a contract on good money until his mid thirties.
Fremantle didn't guarentee Acres money, instead basing it on his output which until that contract year wasn't going to pay him a lot.
Fremantle didn't offer Logue $800,000
Fremantle didn't offer Brad Hill $900,000 a year when his front loaded part of his deal expired and he was coming into lesser paying years.

Colin Young has done great work for these four clients particularly. All of them are far better financially.

Meek leaving for opportunity is entirely reasonable when a player like Luke Jackson is coming into the side.
Tucker left to be with his partner who had moved back to Melbourne after he signed his two year extension to remain here. Total professional.
Yep, and the best way to make lemonade out of that if the opposition want to pay that kind of cash for those sort of players is to get a good deal and keep wheeling, dealing and drafting.

Fremantle didn't guarentee Acres money, instead basing it on his output which until that contract year wasn't going to pay him a lot.
Fremantle didn't offer Logue $800,000
Fremantle didn't offer Brad Hill $900,000 a year when his front loaded part of his deal expired and he was coming into lesser paying years.

Colin Young has done great work for these four clients particularly. All of them are far better financially.

Meek leaving for opportunity is entirely reasonable when a player like Luke Jackson is coming into the side.
Tucker left to be with his partner who had moved back to Melbourne after he signed his two year extension to remain here. Total professional.
A selective view. I tend to think Ralph Carr's approach might be more holistically sound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1789576

Are you saying we have to replace Sonny with an indigenous player?

Yes but I think in most of those cases we can put some level of blame on the club for the departures.

Hogan - recruited an unsuitable personality at a high price.
Acres - was significantly undervalued by the club.
Logue - ditto Acres.
Lobb - recruited a mercenary.
Cerra - recruited a flight risk from day one.
Henry - apparently not keen to stay, reason unknown.
Neale - didn’t want to stay, people speculated that he wasn’t happy with club culture.

As for Tucker and Meek - happy to see them go for greater opportunity.

I’m not saying any club is perfect at player retention but that list is too long.
Hill, Langdon to that list

What is this - We paid the prick about $350k pa too much for the 4 years he was here?
Was on $750k when he was worth about $400k being generous.

We overpaid him by about $1.5m in the time he spent here if you ask me. He’s the definition of an ordinary, average footballer. Good riddance to him.

Hill and Langdon fall into the same category as each other. Both used to be extremely close with former teammates who they had nothing to do with after leaving.
Weller, Hill, Neale, Acres, Logue, even Lobb and perhaps Henry are all players you'd think before any trade scuttlebutt surfaced, would be here permanent. Were minimal chance of being poached. Were just in a different category of player.

Yet all goneski.

We certainly don't have any unpoachables on our list.

Weller, Hill, Neale, Acres, Logue, even Lobb and perhaps Henry are all players you'd think before any trade scuttlebutt surfaced, would be here permanent. Were minimal chance of being poached. Were just in a different category of player.

Yet all goneski.

Yeah sometimes you can’t predict Connor blakelys are gonna do what they do

Yet all goneski.

I'd probably disagree with a good amount of those: Weller (a Gold Coast boy), Brad Hill and Lobb (their girls dragged them away) and maybe Henry (seems like a city slicker). The first three also correlate with the trades that I'd do 10 times over (especially Weller and Hill, that gave us our future midfield in Brayshaw and Serong).

Neale, Acres and Logue though you'd think should be unpoachable. We were an unserious club when Neale left, bringing in a bunch of players with baggage thinking we'd fix them, and instead we enabled them. Acres and Logue was the club being stingy with the cap (Logue probably fairly, Acres definitely unfairly).

I'm looking at recruitment before I look at anything else in terms of explaining the high turnover. A lot of the trades have worked out fine, but some of the issues that have led to players leaving you'd think the club would've known at the time they recruited those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back