List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the collingwood nuffies saying he was crap, and wouldn't amount to anything cause he was dropped for finals last year.

Probably the same nuffies that continue to boo him when geelong plays collingwood :drunk:
"He's not getting a game ahead of Ash Johnson"

Even if he doesn’t ever really develop other facets of his game beyond being an adequate forward 50 pressure player/goal assister, can anyone honestly see him not improving on his goal output at the very least having had 41 at 21 years of age?

If that aspect and ONLY that aspect improved only marginally as he gets older and stronger, he will be a 50 goal forward. That alone is a valuable commodity even if he offered little else

Even if he doesn’t ever really develop other facets of his game beyond being an adequate forward 50 pressure player/goal assister, can anyone honestly see him not improving on his goal output at the very least having had 41 at 21 years of age?

If that aspect and ONLY that aspect improved only marginally as he gets older and stronger, he will be a 50 goal forward. That alone is a valuable commodity even if he offered little else
would like him to be more competitive in the air as he bulks up

I hope you all are right about how well he will be playing in the future. Always fun to watch a player develop before your eyes. It's not often enough since VFL video coverage is nonexistent.
Hope he and Stengel (and Rohan) can work out some synchronicity in the F50.
It kind of irks me though when the footy show talking heads say he came to Geelong because he was homesick.

I hope you all are right about how well he will be playing in the future. Always fun to watch a player develop before your eyes. It's not often enough since VFL video coverage is nonexistent.
Hope he and Stengel (and Rohan) can work out some synchronicity in the F50.
It kind of irks me though when the footy show talking heads say he came to Geelong because he was homesick.
They never mention him wanting to play with his brother, both being life long cats fans that lived a block away from Kardinia Park and always went to Geelong games.

As if Collingwood didn't know this when they drafted him ffs.

They never mention him wanting to play with his brother, both being life long cats fans that lived a block away from Kardinia Park and always went to Geelong games.

As if Collingwood didn't know this when they drafted him ffs.
or that CFC might not be the Eden it's advertised to be

He will be our best player in the same way that Steve Johnson was our best player at his absolute peak.

He was the one player in our team at the time (ie. post Gaz move to GC) that the opposition had no answer for.

What i was getting at but better phrased.

Doesnt make him a superstar or cape wearing individual - but ads a dimension to the team that no other can. Extremely unique skillset but not a superstar yet.

Id say that X factor style ive seen Demspey flash with as well - far apart still currently... but the flashes are there.

Go Catters

41 goals is a pretty damned good effort from a 21 year old
whom was our last 21 year old to kick 41 or more...

Honestly have no clue.

GO Catters

Larry Donohue kicked 105 at age 21 in 1976 (his 4th season). That was a different era

Sure was:
  • 1978 - Kelvin Templeton kicked 118 goals in his 5th season. Was 21 when he topped the ton.
  • 1980 - Michael Roach kicked 112 goals in his 4th season. Was also 21 when he topped the ton.
Very much an era of young star key forwards.

What i was getting at but better phrased.

Doesnt make him a superstar or cape wearing individual - but ads a dimension to the team that no other can. Extremely unique skillset but not a superstar yet.

Id say that X factor style ive seen Demspey flash with as well - far apart still currently... but the flashes are there.

Go Catters
AGREE WITH THE BOLDED
OH is an exceptional talent, and keeps reminding me of Menzel without the knee issues.
Long may that last. We will enjoy his career for many year.
In a disappointing season, he has been the highlight for me, to think we have a 21 yo who can kick 41 goals, nearly 2 a game, and has not fully matured yet physically-let's enjoy what these Henry boys bring to our club, and given they are born and bred Cats makes it so much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AGREE WITH THE BOLDED
OH is an exceptional talent, and keeps reminding me of Menzel without the knee issues.
Long may that last. We will enjoy his career for many year.
In a disappointing season, he has been the highlight for me, to think we have a 21 yo who can kick 41 goals, nearly 2 a game, and has not fully matured yet physically-let's enjoy what these Henry boys bring to our club, and given they are born and bred Cats makes it so much better.
On Menzel, we know what a prodigious talent he was but the most he ever kicked in a season at Geelong was 40, in his 5th season at age 25. I know he was cruelled by injury

Sure was:
  • 1978 - Kelvin Templeton kicked 118 goals in his 5th season. Was 21 when he topped the ton.
  • 1980 - Michael Roach kicked 112 goals in his 4th season. Was also 21 when he topped the ton.
Very much an era of young star key forwards.
Players didn’t have the same levels of professionalism or the same amount of time in the gym, so the threshold was a lot lower. That, and a lot of careers ended a lot earlier.

41 goals is a pretty damned good effort from a 21 year old
Massive , massive tick to OH in his first season at the Cattery.
Like any young player he has work to do on certain aspects but his aerial talent and ability to score consistently should be celebrated.
Fantastic pick up who will delight for many years to come :thumbsu:

I am constantly in awe of people in here who will argue they are right as though a 20/21 player is the finished product...

Players didn’t have the same levels of professionalism or the same amount of time in the gym, so the threshold was a lot lower. That, and a lot of careers ended a lot earlier.

True. Although I always think it went both ways. Yes they definitely weren't as professional; but they also didn't have excuses handed to them like they do now. A 21-year-old key forward like Donohue or Templeton was expected to deliver. No one protected them and defenders got away with outright murder compared to now. So each era to me presented its own challenges.

If he’d held onto that hanger last night he would have immediately placed himself into Geelong legend, because there’s no way that wasn’t winning mark of the year.

Reckon there's going to be no shortage of attempts either throughout his career!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back