Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Just so dissapointed with the game style. Just boring outdated s**t, whilst many of the players were down Goodwin has to cop the brunt of this. How many times does this guy have to learn the same ******* lessons. So glad we extended him for no reason.

Other thoughts:
  • Langdon is a shadow of a player since he copped that head knock- terrified of contact.
  • Salem, just offers absolutely nothing these day and 21' aside has never been much more than an average player.
  • Tmac we all knew he was totally cooked, Tomlinson needed to play to free up May and Lever (seriously how many ******* times have we learnt this the hard way) it also would have allowed us to play Smith as a FWD alongside Fritsch, Trac & JVR.
  • Kozzie tried hard but I'm so over him flying for marks he has a 1% chance of taking.
  • Oliver, plenty of it as usual but had basically no impact and hasnt done since he came back to the side.

Really hard to get excited looking forward I think Carlton will beat us next week if they don't s**t the bed tonight.

Our KPD stocks for next year is a huge concern, with May nearing the end, and the depth of the wider squad is pretty diabolical really.

Just so dissapointed with the game style. Just boring outdated s*t, whilst many of the players were down Goodwin has to cop the brunt of this. How many times does this guy have to learn the same ****** lessons. So glad we extended him for no reason.

Other thoughts:
  • Langdon is a shadow of a player since he copped that head knock- terrified of contact.
  • Salem, just offers absolutely nothing these day and 21' aside has never been much more than an average player.
  • Tmac we all knew he was totally cooked, Tomlinson needed to play to free up May and Lever (seriously how many ******* times have we learnt this the hard way) it also would have allowed us to play Smith as a FWD alongside Fritsch, Trac & JVR.
  • Kozzie tried hard but I'm so over him flying for marks he has a 1% chance of taking.
  • Oliver, plenty of it as usual but had basically no impact and hasnt done since he came back to the side.

Really hard to get excited looking forward I think Carlton will beat us next week if they don't s**t the bed tonight.

Our KPD stocks for next year is a huge concern, with May nearing the end, and the depth of the wider squad is pretty diabolical really.
We really are desperate for Adams and Jefferson to come good. Could go either way with those two, and both really will have little impact in the next couple of years anyway.

Elliot missing two sitters helped. Hibberd had 10 impactless disposals.
I actually somewhat agree, if Eliiot had converted his early shots we would be speaking of Hibberd very differently.

Fought better in the second half, took front position a lot of the time. One on One with collingwood's best ball movement Hibberd was done for pace with Elliot, but he had a better second half, nothing stylish

Last edited:
Elliot missing two sitters helped. Hibberd had 10 impactless disposals.
His job was to stop the impact of Elliott. He did his job. If we're relying on Hibberd's disposal out of the backline, then we're in real trouble. The backline did it's job. Keeping the Pies to 60. We take that every single time. No one in that back half deserves to be put up for scrutiny really.

Long gone IMO is "the Veil of Negativity" as dubbed By Roosy.
I'd say at the moment we are under this "Veil of Satisfaction". Extraordinary Satisfied with 21' and what ever else happens after that is a bonus.
Don't really think our issues have got anything to do with the club being pleased with themselves.

Last night truly was the definition of insanity: Do the same thing again and again expecting a different result.

Reminds me of this:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather see us open the game up and lose by a lot than play like this. Granted we probably should have won in the end with the amount of chances blown but it's just dull, predictable and easy to defend footy that feels identical to the style that failed last year.

Collingwood only needed a few passages of good footy a quarter to outscore us because they played with speed and got it into an open forward line for easy scores.

No idea how we'll line up forward with JvR likely gone but TMac must not play again, he is not physically up to AFL football anymore.

Remember that set play we used to have where someone would mark outside 50 and then turn around and handpass it to Bernie Vince to dob through the goals? Can we do that but with Stevie May kicking the goal instead of Bernie Vince?

I can't believe we didn't try it last night, we tried everything else and it failed.

Ugly: hearing Simple Simon say in his press conference that he was happy with how we played out our last 3 quarters. He said we were only undone by a tardy first quarter in which we were well beaten in contested possessions. But he almost seemed proud of how we finished the game out and that we had gone back to our 'brand'.

A lot talking about how badly we need another big defender but the pies only score 60 points. That is the exact number of points that we have allowed the opposition for the last 5 weeks other than north scoring 71.

Defence isn't the problem. We have averaged 90 points a game over that same stretch prior to last night including a poultry 56 against the blues. Our stupid refusal to change anything at all going forward cost us. Even something small would have made the difference like a chaos ball or getting closer to the 50 rather than dumping it every time from 65-75.

Dr Strange could search the entire multiverse for all the millions of possibilities and wouldn't find a scenario where that works last night.

Ugly: hearing Simple Simon say in his press conference that he was happy with how we played out our last 3 quarters. He said we were only undone by a tardy first quarter in which we were well beaten in contested possessions. But he almost seemed proud of how we finished the game out and that we had gone back to our 'brand'.
Thanks for that. I couldn't bring myself to listen to him.

That's a bit of a misrepresentation. He clearly acknowledged the forward problems as well.

He's not wrong to say contested ball, getting the ball forward and pressure is our brand and what wins finals footy.

I'd rather us be a 11-12 side missing finals if we played the way we did against Sydney in RD3 and Richmond later in the year than a 70 inside 50 side for 9 goals team.
Sorry to burst your bubble but it was 7 goals. ;)

Meds we had double the amount of contested marks and lost. Told you it's a stupid irrelevant part of modern footy
Cameron at the end of the 1st quarter, Mihocek to start the 2nd, and McStay twice in the third took marks and kicked goals at key points in the game.

My point was never about volume, it was about those few gilt-edged chances created from key marks that could prove the difference in a game where easy chances were likely to be few and far between.

Now i'm not saying that those marks were the reason they won, but I think a balanced view would suggest that 4 goals out of 9 coming from key marks in good spots definitely helped them put a winning total on the board.

Mods please leave this post up in here till at least tonight
Sandra Bullock I Give Up GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back