Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

How do we justify bringing Kennedy after not playing for two months after being overlooked the last two games.

Cannot estimate how important some geninue outside run is in latter part of games, believe we definitely not Hollands and Dow as sub to provide that.

Kennedy doesn't have to star, just play his role, but plenty of players return after long lay-offs, like Fritsch from foot injury, kicking 5 goals

Can't see Dow coming in to the 22, sub at best

Hollands is a chance if we want to float guys like Doc, Cotts, etc forward. At least Hollands does defend and gives you 2 way running

McKay out hurts; Hodge was raving about his ability to push up and provide and outlet and then burn the defender on the run back to goal. It opens up the entire forward half of the ground.

Really hope Silvagni is fit; he and TDK are needed up forward, especially if Martin is suspended.

Cerra and Walsh will be better for another run (not that they played poorly); I have a feeling they are primed to produce a match winning performance.

Going to be another slog.
Both teams going to need to find better forward system and efficiency.
Two things in our way to make a prelim: Petracca, Gawn.
Agreed.

I think we can cover Gawn. What I saw from TDK last night was something I've never seen from him before, hunger and a fire in the belly. I think TDK beats him next week!

Up the baggers

Not against Oliver/Viney/Petracca.

Will get monstered.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He stopped Viney in his tracks last game & that’s bloody hard to do.
Crippa is still going to be at 90% at best - took a hell of a hit to his already banged up ribs. Petracca will crunch him at the 1st opportunity & that will slow him up considerably

Was it heeney who shouldered him across the rib cage??

Someone gave him a little gut punch to the ribs (if that makes sense) late in the game. Think it was Heeney.

Just a little tap, kind of thing that happens 50 times a match. But I think it was deliberately aimed at his rib injury.

Dog act if you ask me.

Last edited:
Brayshaw out hurts them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Could really help us, fair argument for JSOS in & use that to further exploit the hole he leaves. Gawn is going to win most taps, TDK is covering the ground very well, taking some grabs & his defensive pressure has been awesome.
There’s an opportunity to smash them in the middle thru speed & then they are ****ed!
May/Lever excel on slow build up take that away they don’t have a whole lot left,
Go in with a very different approach to Sydney but maintain the pressure

Someone have him a little gut punch to the ribs (if that makes sense) late in the game. Think it was Heeney.

Just a little tap, kind of thing that happens 50 times a match. But I think it was deliberately aimed at his rib injury.

Dog act if you ask me.
There was a deadset slam tackle as well- it was fair but very much targeted & got him a beauty.
If it was us crunching one of them, I would have been throwing high fives

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy doesn't have to star, just play his role, but plenty of players return after long lay-offs, like Fritsch from foot injury, kicking 5 goals

Can't see Dow coming in to the 22, sub at best

Hollands is a chance if we want to float guys like Doc, Cotts, etc forward. At least Hollands does defend and gives you 2 way running
Much more likely we would likely play TDK as the 2nd forward if JSOS cannot get up, don't see Kennedy playing up forward more likely we would have the small forwards to support Curnow & TDK.

Martin will be a significant loss as our small forwards were not great, our 2nd half forward entries were average at best.

Based on Rounds 20 and 21 when both Harry and JSOS weren’t available it appears they will play TDK forward and Pittonet and TDK play about 10% more time on ground

if Pittonet plays 70% in ruck and TDK plays 30% and 50% up forward (due to increased minutes) I really want someone playing as second tall, don’t want 50% the game with it just Charlie forward, the reason it sorta worked for St Kilda and Collingwood was we had Martin
Options to swing forward:
  • Docherty - more a 3rd tall though, I say push him down back for a bit and release one of the others
  • kemp - he is solid down back
  • Weitering - he is the general - no
  • Marchbank - he is coming good, played his role well, no
  • MCGovern - my choice, all good teams have a back that switches forward late in a game and throws a defense out of synch
  • Acres - smoky, has height but we need his run and fear one contested mark too many and his shoulder/AC is gone
  • Kennedy - hasn’t played in a month, only a maybe

Much more likely we would likely play TDK as the 2nd forward if JSOS cannot get up, don't see Kennedy playing up forward more likely we would have the small forwards to support Curnow & TDK.

Martin will be a significant loss as our small forwards were not great, our 2nd half forward entries were average at best.

Martin would be a massive loss, I have no doubt we will take any suspension to the highest appeals tribunal

If he does miss, still believe Voss will play another mid size/3rd tall marking option

Based on Rounds 20 and 21 when both Harry and JSOS weren’t available it appears they will play TDK forward and Pittonet and TDK play about 10% more time on ground

if Pittonet plays 70% in ruck and TDK plays 30% and 50% up forward (due to increased minutes) I really want someone playing as second tall, don’t want 50% the game with it just Charlie forward, the reason it sorta worked for St Kilda and Collingwood was we had Martin
Options to swing forward:
  • Docherty - more a 3rd tall though, I say push him down back for a bit and release one of the others
  • kemp - he is solid down back
  • Weitering - he is the general - no
  • Marchbank - he is coming good, played his role well, no
  • MCGovern - my choice, all good teams have a back that switches forward late in a game and throws a defense out of synch
  • Acres - smoky, has height but we need his run and fear one contested mark too many and his shoulder/AC is gone
  • Kennedy - hasn’t played in a month, only a maybe

More good options

But, Doc more likely to play forward than back

Out: Martin (susp), McKay (inj but should drop him regardless)

In: JSOS / Kennedy as third tall, Motlop

Sorry but we cannot carry a player like Harry. Confidence is 0, can’t contest, can’t kick goals
Did set up 2 goals and took a few marks.
Had 2 opportunities that he would usually take. Even though he missed I'm glad the set shot was a drop punt. Shows maturity.
If available I think he plays, but I do like the idea of Kennedy as a marking forward option and mid rotation, has performed reasonably well in this role in the past, would be a viable threat to the Dees.

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
Im awaiting the justification for this from the Jimster!!

My immediate thought is he didnt watch last nights game and he also missed the last time we played the Dees!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back