Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's such a moronic point and it shouldn't have to be explained to you, yet again.

Xavier is irrelevant. His projections, etc. are irrelevant. His player comparisons are irrelevant. Your post was irrelevant. At no point was Xavier ever rated as a consensus top 4 pick in his respective draft. At no point was he ever as highly touted as Zane is.

To suggest that Zane is being overrated - despite essentially every draft watcher having him either 3 or 4 on their lists - because Xavier hasn't lived up to his early hype is mind numbingly stupid.
Xavier was drafted in a super draft. Would’ve easily been a top 5-10 prospect this draft.

It’s not a moronic point. It’s an opinion.

You can deny genetics and DNA all you want, but at the end of the day it’s still relevant.

The only moronic point in here is your expectations of this kid. He’s nothing special.

The problem was not the lack of ball inside the forward 50, Nick was simply out manoeuvred and played by his direct under age opponents. The primary reason for drafting Nick would be for him to play as a forward, not elsewhere.
Impossible, WCE could be hanging out for the Centrelink Shinbeggars to crack and trade pick 2 and the charity pick 3. On draft night I wouldn’t rule out pick 4 and a future first coming into play.
Based on my conversation with Daniel, he considers his best position is as a defender. Time will tell.
Pick 1 would never be traded on draft night. The AFL base their whole TV production around crowning the kid in a WC jumper.

Cannot see the AFL wanting a Hawks trade and then having Harley jump in Brown and gold. Just can't.

The problem was not the lack of ball inside the forward 50, Nick was simply out manoeuvred and played by his direct under age opponents. The primary reason for drafting Nick would be for him to play as a forward, not elsewhere.
Impossible, WCE could be hanging out for the Centrelink Shinbeggars to crack and trade pick 2 and the charity pick 3. On draft night I wouldn’t rule out pick 4 and a future first coming into play.
Based on my conversation with Daniel, he considers his best position is as a defender. Time will tell.
Doesn't concern me in the slightest. 24 scoring shots in 4 games at the HIGHEST level. National championships form reads much better than the Coates League.

Xavier was drafted in a super draft. Would’ve easily been a top 5-10 prospect this draft.

It’s not a moronic point. It’s an opinion.

You can deny genetics and DNA all you want, but at the end of the day it’s still relevant.

The only moronic point in here is your expectations of this kid. He’s nothing special.
We better delist most of our players because their brothers aren’t AFL standard. It’s genetics

We better delist most of our players because their brothers aren’t AFL standard. It’s genetics
When did I say Duursma was delistable because of his brother? He might make it at the level, but my opinion of him is that he won’t be anything special.

Again, completely taken out of context.

Very good, watching games live is needed to informatively assess players. FWIW, I've been a huge fan of Colby since watching him last year. Unlike you I have concerns with Nick because in Coates League games I’ve attended he has been restricted playing in the forward 50 and only had an impact when moved behind the ball or on ball where he had more freedom. He certainly is a highlight reel however he needs to work harder when the opposition has possession.
I wouldn’t rule out trading up to pick one for Harley otherwise taking Daniel Curtain at pick four to play as a key defender. He looked really comfortable and composed playing in the WAFL and having spoken to him before the draft combined he really impressed me.
Out of all of them Curtin could be the most versatile ……. at 195cm can throw him down back, in the middle or up forward. As you say HH from the highlights looks like a smart player and very composed when he has the ball.

Unlike you I have concerns with Nick because in Coates League games I’ve attended he has been restricted playing in the forward 50 and only had an impact when moved behind the ball or on ball where he had more freedom. He certainly is a highlight reel however he needs to work harder when the opposition has possession.
interesting observation.

somone I work with has seen Wizz all through his junior years because his son was the same year level. His comments about Wizz don’t quite align with what you have said here.

I am told in more recent years that a lot of the time he was basically used as the major forward and everyone else told to basically clear the forward line to allow him the space to do his magic, and win. He has offensive magic no doubt.

but how would he go in a forward line where he has to learn to fend for scraps (not the main focus) and required do a shit load of defensive work with little reward in many instances. That is going to be his primary role, at least in his early years.

It may be a non issue, but there is is something in that for recruiters to consider.

Out of all of them Curtin could be the most versatile ……. at 195cm can throw him down back, in the middle or up forward. As you say HH from the highlights looks like a smart player and very composed when he has the ball.
And now listed at 197cm. That's a great sized defender with athleticism in a desperate area of need. He or Watson. Flip of a coin for me. We'll get one of them for sure. Happy Days!

The problem was not the lack of ball inside the forward 50, Nick was simply out manoeuvred and played by his direct under age opponents.

If a talent league defender stitched him up when the ball was coming in regularly, and he wasn't down on fitness, would agree that is not a good sign.

Was he fit though? Lots of factors can lead to a down performance - illness even.

How was he in other games you saw him in?

Genuine questions. Lot of people with great credentials who've seen him play haven't mentioned many negatives outside of height.

And now listed at 197cm. That's a great sized defender with athleticism in a desperate area of need. He or Watson. Flip of a coin for me. We'll get one of them for sure. Happy Days!
197cm with a frame to put some serious size on.. I could see him as our Jacob Weitering, it makes for a great long term partnership with Blanck as our pure stopper! Does he desperately want to become a big bodied midfielder though...?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always love to do a 'worst case scenario' mock draft.

For mine, that means Reid, McKercher and Watson going in the 3 picks before us.

Then the question becomes Duursma or Curtin. It's a pretty delicious predicament to be in.
In this scenario, I think we pick Duursma. Though, I would say worst case is Reid, Watson and Duursma going before us. In which case, we probably pick Curtin.

We don't really need McKercher and I don't think he's a clear "Best Available".

(Besides, picking another CMac would just throw out the balance of our CMac/Josh W ratio)

Any danger another Schoenmaker?
Oh God Reaction GIF

In this scenario, I think we pick Duursma. Though, I would say worst case is Reid, Watson and Duursma going before us. In which case, we probably pick Curtin.

We don't really need McKercher and I don't think he's a clear "Best Available".

(Besides, picking another CMac would just throw out the balance of our CMac/Josh W ratio)

Oh man, I love McKercher. If you haven't already, check out some of his footage. An inside / outside left footed midfielder with pace to burn is exactly what we need to finalize our midfield unit, IMO.

Nash, Worps, Newk as the bulls, McG as the stopper, Amon, Day and McKercher with the pace and Ward / Mackenzie with the rotations. Delicious.

Oh man, I love McKercher. If you haven't already, check out some of his footage. An inside / outside left footed midfielder with pace to burn is exactly what we need to finalize our midfield unit, IMO.

Nash, Worps, Newk as the bulls, McG as the stopper, Amon, Day and McKercher with the pace and Ward / Mackenzie with the rotations. Delicious.
I don't doubt that he's a quality mid, but equally, Curtin, Watson and Duursma are also fine talents and play in areas we desperately need to improve.

Our midfield is progressing nicely, with a core of Newcombe, Day, Nash and Worpel. We still need to get Ward, Frenchy and Croc more gametime in the middle as well as Maginness and Hustwaite.

Our forward line, in particular, needs some X Factor.

I always love to do a 'worst case scenario' mock draft.

For mine, that means Reid, McKercher and Watson going in the 3 picks before us.

Then the question becomes Duursma or Curtin. It's a pretty delicious predicament to be in.

We can't really lose.

Worst case for us is North keep both 2 and 3, that's the biggest threat to us getting either Duursma or Watson (which is what we need IMO).

Back