Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just can't see North selecting Curtin with either pick if they don't trade. IMO they'll take McKercher and Duursma, who are best available and fit needs too.
One of those picks will go to WC in a trade, and they'll take Curtin there. I'm almost positive it will happen some way.

Unless we can get a top 10 pick for our F1, which I doubt now.

If a talent league defender stitched him up when the ball was coming in regularly, and he wasn't down on fitness, would agree that is not a good sign.

Was he fit though? Lots of factors can lead to a down performance - illness even.

How was he in other games you saw him in?

Genuine questions. Lot of people with great credentials who've seen him play haven't mentioned many negatives outside of height.
Very fair questions. It could’ve been an illness or fitness issue and I noted Nick was in a moon boot at the draft screening the week after the Coates League GF. Nick certainly shows his brilliance in space however in some games he struggled for opportunities in congestion. Early in the year he had a very good second half against Northern Knights when he was switched to half back. I would’ve like to have seen him play a game for the BHH.
Interestingly Harry Sheezel had a really poor game in last year’s NAB League opening round of finals. He was soundly beaten by a slightly bigger opponent until that player was injured and then struggled against a smaller opponent after half time. At times he appeared rattled looking for free kicks and he missed set shots on goal he would normally kick. That down game for whatever reason was an aberration. Maybe he wanted to improve his chances to fall to the Hawks pick in the draft, who knows. 🙄😁

Out of all of them Curtin could be the most versatile ……. at 195cm can throw him down back, in the middle or up forward. As you say HH from the highlights looks like a smart player and very composed when he has the ball.
He could be a clearance monster in the making. A Cripps/Bont style bull.

His future is unknown, his size and attributes are not.

I hope West Coast are reading this.

If I am drafting Curtin, I am doing it as a clearance/contested mid with elite skills.
I'd do it because he has multi positions he can play, CHB would be gold to start with for a few years, then transition into the midfield. Sam is a fan of having more than one arrow for his bow. That you can be C'urtain.

I'd do it because he has multi positions he can play, CHB would be gold to start with for a few years, then transition into the midfield. Sam is a fan of having more than one arrow for his bow. That you can be C'urtain.

If we draft Curtin and he turns out to be a CHB, you can bet everything you own we won't be moving him into the midfield. Especially given it's about seven deep ATM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently GC looking for more points, so their pick 24 is on the table.

Not sure if it would be of interest to us as it’d be eaten up by a McCabe bid.

Maybe 3 of our picks in the 40s for it, then trade that and our future 2nd for another 1st rounder like Geelong’s which would come before a bid?

Liking what I'm seeing of Curtin, a lot. Seems a complete package. Would probably start as a key back, which we are in desperate need of, but could swing forward and kick goals, and go into the midfield. Can mark, kick, evade, lay a tackle and seems pretty damn quick for his size. He's my pick at 4.

Apparently GC looking for more points, so their pick 24 is on the table.

Not sure if it would be of interest to us as it’d be eaten up by a McCabe bid.

Maybe 3 of our picks in the 40s for it, then trade that and our future 2nd for another 1st rounder like Geelong’s which would come before a bid?
So how do you match a McCabe bid as our first picks would be 62/63? Also we would only have our first pick next year nothing else. The only way to get more capital is trade back 4 or our f1.

So how do you match a McCabe bid as our first picks would be 62/63? Also we would only have our first pick next year nothing else. The only way to get more capital is trade back 4 or our f1.

Touché lol

Liking what I'm seeing of Curtin, a lot. Seems a complete package. Would probably start as a key back, which we are in desperate need of, but could swing forward and kick goals, and go into the midfield. Can mark, kick, evade, lay a tackle and seems pretty damn quick for his size. He's my pick at 4.

looks like if hodge and roughie became one player, how is he not just the outright 1.

Australia is lacking in super elite talls and reid is just a suppose to be outright 1, but is just a midfielder/forward.

I can see why West Coast won't drop back to anything but 2

Will be a good player. Great player? Not sure. That’s why he’s projected to slide. Hasn’t got many elite attributes.

I love the Top 6 in this draft so much I feel like they're all made to be Hawthorn players.
We really do need every one of them in our team.
They would all fill a need.

We simple can't go wrong with using pick 4 on any of them.
Any opportunity to trade MUST retain the ability to choose 1 out of that 6, or hopefully move up the order.

If we are truly indifferent to which one we get, then a potential pick 11 bonus is going to be hard to refuse in a trade.
Having said that, if Caddy is gone by pick 11 I would then look to trade it for a F1 (+F2..or something else)

I don't rate this draft beyond the top 10 or so.
I understand that others do, but it just doesn't excite me at all.

looks like if hodge and roughie became one player, how is he not just the outright 1.

Australia is lacking in super elite talls and reid is just a suppose to be outright 1, but is just a midfielder/forward.

I can see why West Coast won't drop back to anything but 2
Yep, the more I read on Curtin the more I like him at our pick. Still a fan of McKercher as well. I just think these two have more grunt to offer than others at our pick.
I don't see WCE missing on Reid TBH unless North become desperate and give 2 + 3 in which case I can see a Curtin, McKercher double act at WCE in 2024.

Last edited:
Back