Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

B is better than D+ I guess.

I am very happy with our haul. Two first round picks, one an excitement machine.

I have know idea how these are rated !
There is seriously no point to it now !
Rate them in a year or 2??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He only joined our NGA in the latter half of this year didn't he?

I think you’re right, but the point is still correct.

We have Christian Moraes in our next gen academy ahead of 2024, who is probably going to be top 20 next year. Only Levi Ashcroft and him made the CTL team of the year as bottom agers.

Why bother continuing to help develop him? We can’t match a bid, we’re only going to be helping another team.

We have Christian Moraes in our next gen academy ahead of 2024, who is probably going to be top 20 next year. Only Levi Ashcroft and him made the CTL team of the year as bottom agers.

Why bother continuing to help develop him? We can’t match a bid, we’re only going to be helping another team.

Yep, time to just cut ties with NGA kids

I enjoyed a terrific long conversation with Calsher Dear after the draft combine when the 2km trials for the State Combine were being run. I ask him if he was still 194cms and he told me he was just measured at 195cms. I've been holding on to the Calsher's response to my question about the prospect of more growth. He told me both his older brothers grew a few centimetres after they turned 18. Calsher turned 18 in August so having watched how influential he was when he went into the ruck in the second half of the Coates League GF, I'm really excited about his future. He is a quality young man and told me he loved the times he spent at training with Hawthorn and he is now in a good place and looking forward to the future.
I mention Calsher could ruck and was told by our fearless mod SYL this would not happen in the AFL, I still believe Cal could be a chop out in the ruck via the AFL.

What a wonderfull storey and Cal has a lot of upside to him. Good luck young man!

Do we actually do anything with the NGA players outside of invite them to training every now and then? The clubs know the reality with these kids so I doubt we are putting the time and effort into them anywhere close to what the northern academies are.

I am as against the current northern academies set up as anyone is and am as jaded about the NGAs as anyone is - but I think melting over it is overboard. I really doubt the club puts anything but a token effort in.

Do we actually do anything with the NGA players outside of invite them to training every now and then? The clubs know the reality with these kids so I doubt we are putting the time and effort into them anywhere close to what the northern academies are.

I am as against the current northern academies set up as anyone is and am as jaded about the NGAs as anyone is - but I think melting over it is overboard. I really doubt the club puts anything but a token effort in.
Tokenistic for that reason. It's a sham and everyone knows it.

So Rookie and SSP drafts today?

2 out of Phillips or Stephens or Chad and we are done?

I wonder if we select Coops before Chad in the rookie - to give other suitors (Collingwood) the chance to take Chad so we can grab Phillips?

Anyone know the drafting order of Rookie and SSP drafts?
Chad's not going anywhere.

Fox sports gave our draft a B
Eyes What GIF by Bounce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you continue putting extra time and effort into your NGA regions for a potential competitive advantage down the track.

Who knows whether the rules will change in 3-5 years, put the time into these kids now knowing the AFL could bring the bid pick number down.

I also think it's helped us get a really good understanding of the talent level in the Eastern Ranges and Gippsland areas. Ie do we end up with Newcombe and Blanck playing for Box Hill if we're not piling addition resources into those areas?

Hot take: If you were starting a club and just got to pick 40 players from the one draft in 2023, you would have more success then gc and gws in 6 years time. The kids looked good and plenty of talent across the whole draft. What stands out for me is the topline players are still their but from picks 6-60, the proffessionism has really levelled out the playing field.

Almost impossible to know, other then speculation on proffesionalism is how players develop across the next 4 years. Game is going to be very very fast with a return of skills soon. (I hope they dont allow slowmo replay in tribunals)

Apart from the confirmation a month or 2 ago that TJ would be considered an NGA for us, I've not see one bit of noise from anyone at the club, nor any of our ITK's that we were even considering him. Even KL suggested that he's not been discussed at all, even if he makes it past 40.

I honestly don't think the club would be losing any sleep over that one. Though I certainly agree with unfairness of it all.

Apart from the confirmation a month or 2 ago that TJ would be considered an NGA for us, I've not see one bit of noise from anyone at the club, nor any of our ITK's that we were even considering him. Even KL suggested that he's not been discussed at all, even if he makes it past 40.

I honestly don't think the club would be losing any sleep over that one. Though I certainly agree with unfairness of it all.
If Hawthorn rated Jaith we could've easily moved up the board, 2 picks in the 40's and a F3 to trade. I'd say its fair to say we weren't really that Keen/ and or rated Ryan just as highly.

Last edited:
If Hawthorn rated Jaith would could've easily moved up the board 2 picks in the 40 and a F3 to trade. I'd say its fair to say we weren't really that Keen/ and or rated Ryan just as highly.

Thought the same thing, we have his exact type of player in spades so I can’t imagine we were desperate to bring him in.

I found it funny that during the trade window clubs were arguing for weeks over F3’s and picks in the 40’s, then come draft night they get thrown around as if they’re almost worthless.

How does Fox even determine their shitty rating system, Essendon get an A- for what though, grabbing Caddy? "Bombers moved up to get Nate Caddy, which only cost them Pick 31" Yea trading Pick 31 to move one spot in the draft is such a galaxy brain move.

Mean while Hawthorn grab two first round picks which address holes in our list. Plus future capital. If their lazy arse writers paused for two second they would realise multiple clubs tried to trade up to land Watson.

If Hawthorn rated Jaith would could've easily moved up the board 2 picks in the 40 and a F3 to trade. I'd say its fair to say we weren't really that Keen/ and or rated Ryan just as highly.
Imagine seeing your brother be involved in the hawthorn academy, get selected to play for hawthorn, then you get selected in the hawthorn academy and still barrack for collingwood. Broken goods if you ask me 🤪

How does Fox even determine their shitty rating system, Essendon get an A- for what though, grabbing Caddy? "Bombers moved up to get Nate Caddy, which only cost them Pick 31" Yea trading Pick 31 to move one spot in the draft is such a galaxy brain move.

Mean while Hawthorn grab two first round picks which address holes in our list. Plus future capital. If their lazy arse writers paused for two second they would realise multiple clubs tried to trade up to land Watson.
Its made up bullshit to get clicks. Just ignore it.

So Rookie and SSP drafts today?

2 out of Phillips or Stephens or Chad and we are done?

I wonder if we select Coops before Chad in the rookie - to give other suitors (Collingwood) the chance to take Chad so we can grab Phillips?

Anyone know the drafting order of Rookie and SSP drafts?
SSP isnt done today

think they will take Chad first to stop him getting picked elsewhere.

Order is the finishing order so Shinbeggers only have pick 2 not 2 and 3 and these picks cant be traded so its original order

Back