Certified Legendary Thread 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 48 The Final India v Australia 19/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

How can anyone think Pat Cummins is a bad captain after this.
Because he should have bowled Hazlewood in the semi-final, and we got lucky - why in hades did he persist with Zampa?

I believe there are at least four captains in that squad, which is why we did so well - Cummins, Smith, Marsh and Warner. Love them or hate them, their leadership and commitment to the team was what made us field like we did. I can't stand Warner, but his commitment on the field was sublime. Whenever Head or Maxwell opened their mouths, they were humble and supportive of their teammates

Agree , 87 win was start of rebirth of aussie cricket , the one day team finally had confidence to win . This translated to the test team too

The funny thing is that right across the 90s we had a cracker of a one day side, paired with test domination, yet took us till 99 to win out next world cup - them after that a golden run off 4 of the next 6

Has anyone else seen the cries for the match to be replayed on the basis of Head claiming the Rohit catch even though it “bounced”? Some Indian fans are that upset about this result, theyve tried to generate a controversy over the result complete with one of the worst photoshop jobs I’ve ever seen.

View attachment 1859074
Why has he got 6 fingers on his hand?

Do they not allow fans around airports or do you guys just not care lol

1. How would anyone know what flight he's on?

2. What kind of freak drives to the airport for this? It's 2 players out of 15. And no cup.

3. We win world cups so often it's no longer special.

4. Perhaps it's unhealthy to worship players like gods? We treat them like atheletes. Maybe it's good to give them a bit of space when they're in public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's try and stay somewhat classy here. Losing a world cup final at home hurts, then you remember a lot of that team has never won this and this may have been there last chance

Yeah. Nah:

Gee there was some arrogance from Indian pundits prior to this game :whistle:

Work in a team with a few Indians talking smack, might not see some of them this whole week.

Top comment on Indian cricket FB page is some numpty saying we cheated and that because they went through the group stage undefeated they are the real winners.... 😂

And I think enough of us know at least one Indian who was more than happy to tell us how freakin good they are, and how badly they were going to demolish us, who suddenly became saltier than the Dead Sea when we had the temerity to point out their crystal ball was faulty on Monday morning.

This sums it right up:

Well this is it. If people are humble and classy with me then I reciprocate. If not, they get it both barrels. What you tend to find is that all fanbases have a bit of both.

Someone did mention on this site that Australia had the best batting side in the comp.
I think Australia made more runs than India, does that mean that someone was right.
India scored more runs (just) but did have significantly a better batting average and had us covered on run rate.

I have no problem saying India were the best team over the course of the tournament but that's not the same as winning the trophy (sometimes it is).

I was silly not taping the live broadcast on the foxtel. Presumably they'll replay the full match.
There's BitTorrent 🙂🏆

Normally I'm happy with Kayo, but sometimes I decide events are notable enough to warrant space on my hard drive, in the (inevitable) event they one day vanish from your streaming service of choice. This, and the Afghanistan game, are such occasions.

India scored more runs (just) but did have significantly a better batting average and had us covered on run rate.

I have no problem saying India were the best team over the course of the tournament but that's not the same as winning the trophy (sometimes it is).

100 percent they were best team but best team before knockouts not always winning the wc is part of the magic of world cups, india were really best side in 2019 as well but couldnt handle the knockout pressure, windies in 83 nz 92 pakistan 99 india 19/23 plenty of times team that looks best until knockouts doesnt take trophy home.

Its interesting though for all talk about SA disappointing in world cups has there ever really been a world cup where SA were clear best side in comp right until they were knocked out? 99 be closest but pakistan still looked better and SA lost to aus in super 6 before being knocked out so cant say they were clear front runners.

p.s that 92 kiwi side really is one of the bigger choke jobs that has been forgotten, 7-1 in early stages facing a 4-3 pakistan side that only limped into semis due to rain in other games playing home semi at eden park and they blow it.

Last edited:
He’s been a pretty good leader I think, he’s prepared to play the way he has to in order to give them the best chance, he has generally captained well although he panicked as I think we all acknowledged by going to shami instead of siraj with the ball and most of his pressers have been fairly gracious. It’s not like they seem to have a team stacked with dickheads at the moment and even one noted dickhead they actually do have, couldn’t get a game (Ashwin)
On the dickhead / likeability continuum, historically speaking I think both sides rate pretty highly for likeability.

He was 18 when he scored those 2 tons PB. 18!
Best tons by an Indian batsmen in Australia.
1. Tendulkar 114 at the WACA, 1991/2
2. Tendulkar 116 at the MCG, 1999/00
3. Laxman 167 at the SCG, 1999/00
4. Kohli 123 at Perth Stadium, 2018/9
5. Sandeep Patil 174 at the Adelaide Oval, 1980/1
Kohli’s second innings hundred in Adelaide in 2014 deserves a mention as well, albeit in conditions probably more familiar to Indian players.

Has anyone else seen the cries for the match to be replayed on the basis of Head claiming the Rohit catch even though it “bounced”? Some Indian fans are that upset about this result, theyve tried to generate a controversy over the result complete with one of the worst photoshop jobs I’ve ever seen.

View attachment 1859074
Lets pretend it's real because it's even sweeter.

On the dickhead / likeability continuum, historically speaking I think both sides rate pretty highly for likeability.

Most definitely.

I know Kohli rubs people up the wrong way but most of that comes back to him being a combination of incredibly good, and incredibly competitive.

Ashwin often crosses that line from
Good and competitive into f**kwit territory I think.

I did read a story about the Indian reaction and I’m sure some comments here have alluded to this factor as well, Indian fans MOSTLY only follow cricket so they’re conditioned to a best team wins scenario generally: best team wins a series unless there’s a rain saving incident etc, and tournaments like world cups only come around every so often. And when those tournaments do come around, they’ve only been ‘the best’ a handful of times where they’ve had to concern themselves with both ‘being the best’ AND walking away with the trophy.

In places like Australia, SA and NZ, we are conditioned with our year round codes to understand that being the best during a competition merely gives you a shot at the trophy.

It probably also explains why England sits somewhere in the middle because they follow the rugby codes but equally adhere religiously to the soccer leagues where it’s first past the post - and then have the knockout leagues as well

They simply got ahead of themselves, soaked up the adulation of millions of adoring fans, and believed they were invincible after winning every game.
Many of their batsman are flat track bullies. Did not step up on a harder pitch.

Most definitely.

I know Kohli rubs people up the wrong way but most of that comes back to him being a combination of incredibly good, and incredibly competitive.

Ashwin often crosses that line from
Good and competitive into f**kwit territory I think.

I did read a story about the Indian reaction and I’m sure some comments here have alluded to this factor as well, Indian fans MOSTLY only follow cricket so they’re conditioned to a best team wins scenario generally: best team wins a series unless there’s a rain saving incident etc, and tournaments like world cups only come around every so often. And when those tournaments do come around, they’ve only been ‘the best’ a handful of times where they’ve had to concern themselves with both ‘being the best’ AND walking away with the trophy.

In places like Australia, SA and NZ, we are conditioned with our year round codes to understand that being the best during a competition merely gives you a shot at the trophy.

It probably also explains why England sits somewhere in the middle because they follow the rugby codes but equally adhere religiously to the soccer leagues where it’s first past the post - and then have the knockout leagues as well
How long have World Cup's been going? if you don't understand knockout finals & peaking at the right time by now you never fukcing will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back