Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think we should go for dangerfield. Another top line midfielder is always a need and he will be able to see our progress throughout the year. I can't see him going to hawks or cats due to cap issues BUT who else is on the rise, us, GC & GWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm yet to have thoroughly watched & researched this year's crop, but surely it's not too optimistic to expect one of Goddard, McCartin, Durdin, or Wright to be at our pick.

There are only two teams that are a certainty to finish below us, and one of them (Melbourne) are more likely to take a midfielder, assuming the KPPs aren't clearly the beat of the lot. GWS are near-certainties to avoid taking a KPP as well.

I'm yet to have thoroughly watched & researched this year's crop, but surely it's not too optimistic to expect one of Goddard, McCartin, Durdin, or Wright to be at our pick.

There are only two teams that are a certainty to finish below us, and one of them (Melbourne) are more likely to take a midfielder, assuming the KPPs aren't clearly the beat of the lot. GWS are near-certainties to avoid taking a KPP as well.
Key back, or player with danger field pace

What's the depth like in this draft?
its looking pretty shallow at this early stage, more shallow then last years draft
but full of the types of players we need which is perfect for our selecting the best player at our picks
I'm hopeful if we miss out on the top KPFs they'll still be some 'hidden gems' for one of our later picks

its looking pretty shallow at this early stage, more shallow then last years draft
but full of the types of players we need which is perfect for our selecting the best player at our picks
I'm hopeful if we miss out on the top KPFs they'll still be some 'hidden gems' for one of our later picks
That's good news, I don't think it's all doom and gloom for missing out on a key forward, young X factor mid rebound key back . It's all a bonus for our club

Yeah thats what I was thinking, especially with Young and Wood stepping up in recent weeks.

I know people don't really like spending high picks on players other than mids/kpps but assuming allthe best KPFs are off the board id be happy to use our top pick on a genuine top liner HBF, for the draft watchers anyone that comes to mind?

Just feel were gonna have a LOT of trouble replacing Murph, we have a few options but none that I can see gettimg close to Murphs level
Generally not the kind of player you take with an early first rounder unless they're expected to move into the midfield down the track, but nonetheless. Lachie Weller is one that should go early and likely starts his career off a flank. Probably the only real early one that you'd play mostly off half back...Smith, Maynard and Pickett can all play there too. If you want that genuine HBFer Jackson Nelson is your guy but probably closer to 15-20.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that you had, just that we won't be chasing a kpp in the draft if he isn't the best player available.
It would be great if he is that guy, because we sure could use one.

Can you give us a bit more insight into the way he plays? He's at that height that can really be anything from a Taylor Walker or Jarrod Roughead to a Mundy or Macrae.
He's mostly a lead-out forward who does most of his work on the half forward line but his overhead marking ability also holds him in very good stead. He's definitely not that monster type player a lot seem to favour but I think he has a place in our side. Will probably rotate through the midfield as well if he doesn't grow those extra few centimetres.

What's the depth like in this draft?
It's looking very deep. Quality drops after the top three but from there it's only a very steady decline into the 40s-50s in my opinion. Easily much deeper than last year's.

Since when do we need a HBF/Rebounder?

Robert Murphy has the body to play into his late 30s. He should be a part of our Premiership Plans because he doesn't need strength or speed to have a huge influence on games.

Then we have the likes of Sam Darley, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Matthew Fuller, Josh Prudden, Daniel Pearce, Shaun Higgins, Marcus Bontempelli & Jason Tutt. We only need one or two of those guys to cement a position in defense and the Half-Back Flank Position becomes a total non-issue.

If we're not going to get one of the big forwards with our first pick, I'd like to bring in someone with either bucketloads of pace or a natural leader.

Since when do we need a HBF/Rebounder?

Robert Murphy has the body to play into his late 30s. He should be a part of our Premiership Plans because he doesn't need strength or speed to have a huge influence on games.

Then we have the likes of Sam Darley, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Matthew Fuller, Josh Prudden, Daniel Pearce, Shaun Higgins, Marcus Bontempelli & Jason Tutt. We only need one or two of those guys to cement a position in defense and the Half-Back Flank Position becomes a total non-issue.

If we're not going to get one of the big forwards with our first pick, I'd like to bring in someone with either bucketloads of pace or a natural leader.
I agree that I wouldn't be taking one super early but I do think we need to pick somebody that can play there. Darley is no guarantee to make it - plays his best football in the midfield but may not be able to crack it and still has some development ahead of him. Johannisen's development has stalled (due partly to injury) and is not a sure thing. Easton Wood's early season form is very promising but let's not forget his injury struggles. Fuller is not setting the VFL alight and is no guarantee. Prudden looks to be a midfielder. Pearce may be delisted at season's end and is more of a shutdown defender than a rebounding half back. Higgins has an injury history and is a free agent at the end of the season, plus is needed to play up forward occasionally. Bontempelli has shown little as a half back flanker both at junior level and in the VFL. Tutt plays his best football forward of the ball.

From that list I don't hold any great hope. It's a position I'd be looking to fill late-draft or in the rookie draft, but I still think we need one to develop.

Still, Jack Lever: Natural leader, can rebound, can defend, creative, decent skills, very coachable...dare I go on? :p But won't be playing this year due to injury, which is why he might slide a bit and I think he'd be a bargain anywhere outside the top 5
We were interested in Plowman apparently a few years back and Lever is very similar to him, except Plowman was more filled out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that I wouldn't be taking one super early but I do think we need to pick somebody that can play there. Darley is no guarantee to make it - plays his best football in the midfield but may not be able to crack it and still has some development ahead of him. Johannisen's development has stalled (due partly to injury) and is not a sure thing. Easton Wood's early season form is very promising but let's not forget his injury struggles. Fuller is not setting the VFL alight and is no guarantee. Prudden looks to be a midfielder. Pearce may be delisted at season's end and is more of a shutdown defender than a rebounding half back. Higgins has an injury history and is a free agent at the end of the season, plus is needed to play up forward occasionally. Bontempelli has shown little as a half back flanker both at junior level and in the VFL. Tutt plays his best football forward of the ball.

From that list I don't hold any great hope. It's a position I'd be looking to fill late-draft or in the rookie draft, but I still think we need one to develop.
I know some of the guys I listed are much better suited to other positions (IE- Higgins, Bont etc), but with such a sizeable list of players who could play at HBF, I'd be adverse to bringing in another one until we delist a few, simply because we have bigger priorities elsewhere.

It's not every year there are a host of top-of-the-line KPPs in the top 10 so I think we really really ought to try and score one of Peter Wright, Pat McCartin, Sam Durdin, Hugh Goddard or even Tom Boyd through a Tyson-style trade if possible. A Gun Key-Forward isn't going to fix our problems, but it will complement our structure hugely, and this is a perfect time to add one.

Will be a disaster if Carlton finish below us, lose Gibbs, and get a band 1 compensation pick.

I know some of the guys I listed are much better suited to other positions (IE- Higgins, Bont etc), but with such a sizeable list of players who could play there, I'd be adverse to bringing in another one until we delist a few, simply because we have bigger priorities elsewhere.

Not every year there are a host of great KPPs in the top 10 so I think we really really ought to try and score one of Peter Wright, Pat McCartin, Sam Durdin, Hugh Goddard or even Tom Boyd through a Tyson-style trade if possible. A Gun Key-Forward isn't going to fix our problems, but it will complement our structure hugely, and this is a perfect time to add one.

Will be a disaster if Carlton finish below us, lose Gibbs, and get a band 1 compensation pick.
Yeah, I can see your point. I'm happy either way - but we'll have four rookie spots to fill this year regardless (all four are on their final year as allowed by AFL rules) so I can see the merit in taking one late to cover our bases.

Goddard is one in that section that could be around at our pick. For me he doesn't have the impact of the others you've mentioned and I can see others going past him this year. Don't get me wrong he's an excellent prospect but I just don't see him as being quite up there with the others. I think a section from Knightmare's write-up describes it well (especially the bold):
There is just that little bit of something dominant missing to his game. As a forward Goddard in the TAC can kick three goals a game but it’s almost always a quiet three goals. He just doesn’t feel like he’s going to take over games and you don’t really notice his impact as more a component to winning rather than a centrepiece and a reason for winning. He just lacks the presence to his game that the other premier key forwards of the competition have and doesn’t have that same feel that he’ll go off as a goalkicking threat like those other real high end key forwards have which is why I rate him lower than others probably will.
Contrary to KM though, I see him as a defender.

I'm hopeful of moving up the draft order to be able to get one of the genuine talents (although I'm not as keen on McCartin as a lot are; I despise horrible kicking from key forwards and his definitely takes the cake) but I'm just not sure how we get there.

I know some of the guys I listed are much better suited to other positions (IE- Higgins, Bont etc), but with such a sizeable list of players who could play at HBF, I'd be adverse to bringing in another one until we delist a few, simply because we have bigger priorities elsewhere.

It's not every year there are a host of top-of-the-line KPPs in the top 10 so I think we really really ought to try and score one of Peter Wright, Pat McCartin, Sam Durdin, Hugh Goddard or even Tom Boyd through a Tyson-style trade if possible. A Gun Key-Forward isn't going to fix our problems, but it will complement our structure hugely, and this is a perfect time to add one.

What if both Melbourne get a priority pick and Gibbs gets Carlton a band 1 comp.? Where does that leave us? Brisbane and St Kilda will likely fall below us to and both of those teams are crying out for a KPP and Boyd is a number one draft pick and GWS would probably at least want that back in return, unless the ruling comes in where you can trade future draft picks I don't see it happening

Contrary to KM though, I see him as a defender.

I'm hopeful of moving up the draft order to be able to get one of the genuine talents (although I'm not as keen on McCartin as a lot are; I despise horrible kicking from key forwards and his definitely takes the cake) but I'm just not sure how we get there.

He meant take over games as a forward, very athletic player and I think the fact he can hit the scoreboard is just a bonus
Haven't seen him clunk many contested marks though and am not sure of his decision making as of yet

McCartin is an interesting one, I think his poor kicking at goal is a bit over-rated (for now) because Goddard and Wright don't get nearly as many shots as him but have equally as poor conversion

Yeah, I can see your point. I'm happy either way - but we'll have four rookie spots to fill this year regardless (all four are on their final year as allowed by AFL rules) so I can see the merit in taking one late to cover our bases.
I suppose, but talk about poor list management. How on Earth did Redpath & Greenwood stay on the rookie list for that long?

Remember Travis Cloke was a pretty disgusting kick as well.

What if both Melbourne get a priority pick and Gibbs gets Carlton a band 1 comp.? Where does that leave us? Brisbane and St Kilda will likely fall below us to and both of those teams are crying out for a KPP and Boyd is a number one draft pick and GWS would probably at least want that back in return, unless the ruling comes in where you can trade future draft picks I don't see it happening
Close to 100% sure Melbourne won't get a priority pick and if they do, it'll be an end of first round one.

As for Carlton, just gotta pray they finish above us.......................................... not sure what I want actually.

just thank goodness that the best available won't be an inside midfielder.......then I curse us and we take Angus Brayshaw..

but any of the best availables should help us, I am just spooked a club that might not need a KPP will take one any, to stock up..hmm

Guess it's going to depend on where we finish, but if any of those guys slide there is probably going to be a reason.
I think I would rather take a gun mid or trade for a tall than take a kid with question marks.

Last edited:
Would love Lever, always difficult to rate a player who misses their whole last underage year though.

Anyone else fancy us bringing in one of Jaksch, O'Rourke or Plowman? All out of contract and all offer us something we need.

Got a strong feeling we'll get Jaksch. There's been word for the last year suggesting he's not comfortable living up there in Blacktown and playing with fellow Carey Boys Macrae & Hrovat ought to be an appealing alternative. Should only cost us a 3rd rounder as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back