2nds WAFL Watch 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Lycett was very impressive. He does everything with intent. Clunked a lot of his marks. He spilt a couple and was very disappointed with himself punching the turf. He really looks like he wants to impress.

Butler had big numbers but I wouldnt say he was influential at all. Someone has mentioned it reminds them of selwoods last year and ive always been a fan but dont think he should play for us again.

Wilson and Carter trailed their men quite often. In defensive 50 they were matched up but as the ball was kicked in they appeared to zone off and subi hit up their players a number of times.

Gov was equivalent of Lycett at the other end of the ground clunking marks but his disposal was poor.

As with freshman he got a lot of the ball but most of the time I noticed him he kicked it to disadvantage

I didnt know karpany was karpany. He didnt get much of the ball but I noticed he was often in dangerous positions he just couldnt find it.

Looks like it's East Perth with the 3 ruckmen now.

Its actually quite evident watching east perth our extreme lack of midfield depth

First wafl game ive been to in a number of years, quite enjoyed it

just got back from the game, i concur with the other posters. i thought lycett and sinclair were excellent. lycett did very well playing as a deep fwd. i thought butler and colledge did ok too.

mcginnity on the other hand. what is his issue? played in a tagging role and started to give away cheap free kicks, hitting players behind play. i dont get how he is on your list

brennan, let me say first i am a fan of his and i've loved how he has played when given the opportunity at afl level, but tonight something was up. he was blowing steam by the 2nd. he was played as the lock down defender on george hampson (when george was playing fwd) and just couldnt go with him. george kicked 5 on him. his only saving grace was when george was pushed back to provide some rebound when easts were giving us a lesson. did he get that gastro that was going through the club? if not, was a shocker of a night for him

also dont get why turnbridge is on your list either

Is it just me ?? Or are others of you starting to doubt (like I am) that McInnes is going to make the grade.

I know we need to be more patient with tall players but I have never seen him take a game by the scruff of the neck.
For a player of his stature and skill set he never seems to impose himself .

I would be interested to hear other's opinions of how they see him tracking and if I am being to harsh to early !!??

Agree with you on Karpany Defacto but not on Tunbridge. Thought he was OK.

Monocle, I said the other day that McInnes won't be taking any game soon by the scruff of the neck, because of the cattle around him at EP he won't get the chances. Doesn't mean he won't make it, just he won't get the opportunity at EP with all the Eagles talls. Maybe he needs to switch to CHB for a while?

A side made up of mostly eagles.... So much for depth then

West Coasts biggest contribution is in the area of talls and defenders and they dominated the game as long as they kept the ball of the deck.

Only eagles players in the guts were Bulter (187cm), Colledge (192cm) and Tunbridge (189cm) a couple of times. Hardly expert or experienced midfielders.

Powell was BOG. Stats are a little low IMO.

Elite endurance runner, user and quick over the turf. Needs a few more weeks in the reserves.
Was he playing in the midfield or can become a midfielder?

Good to hear that Lycett kicked 5 goals, maybe he can be a forward option after all; but disappointing that McInnes and Tunbridge only kicked one between them. Surprising that EP couldn't score a goal in the final 1/4 after a good comeback, thought that EP was gonna be completely out of the game early after being down 8 goals to 1.

Is it just me ?? Or are others of you starting to doubt (like I am) that McInnes is going to make the grade.

I know we need to be more patient with tall players but I have never seen him take a game by the scruff of the neck.
For a player of his stature and skill set he never seems to impose himself .

I would be interested to hear other's opinions of how they see him tracking and if I am being to harsh to early !!??

I think its really hard for young key forwards in the WAFL. Poor delivery and ball movement. I think he would play better at AFL level which is strange but often turns out that way.

I think its really hard for young key forwards in the WAFL. Poor delivery and ball movement. I think he would play better at AFL level which is strange but often turns out that way.

subi is very light on talls so he might struggle when it comes to having a big defender on him

Was he playing in the midfield or can become a midfielder?

He was playing CHB/ FB in the first half and CHB after Barrass came on in the second half. They have really good awareness of each other and did a good job of backing each other up.

Went for long offensive runs up the ground. One of them resulting in him goaling from sixty on the run.

Powell blew up a little in last quarter as it was his first full game for the season.

s**t umpiring gifts West Perth their second at the end of the first quarter. Piss weak.
Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any resolution to this problem. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE WEST AUSTRALIAN " AFL WATCH "

Tom Barrass - Had 17 possessions playing in defence in first reserves match of the year .
Jacob Brennan - Well beaten by George Hampson and just one kick in second half .
Sam Butler - Had 24 effective disposals and seven clearances , critical contributor in third term .
Adam Carter - Under considerable pressure in defence but steady opposed to Shane Yarran .
Brandt Colledge - Consistent four-quarter effort with 26 disposals as one of main midfielders .
Malcolm Karpany - Very quiet in second game , hasn't picked up pace of league football yet .
Scott Lycett - Best big man on the ground . Had eight marks , 15 touches and 12 taps .
Will Maginess - Busy in reserves with 24 disposals and eight marks .
Dylan Main - Found the ball 18 times playing midfield in reserves .
Pat McGinnity - Typical hard grind in midfield brought 16 possessions .
Fraser McInnes - Limited impact in attack with one goal and 11 disposals .
Rowen Powell - Saw plenty of reserves action with 28 possessions . Named second best for EP .
Callum Sinclair - Used as No1 ruck with 20 touches and 24 hit-outs but no great impact .
Ash Smith - Lacked intensity and urgency but finished with 19 touches .
Simon Tunbridge - Lively in third term when team on top otherwise quiet .
Blayne Wilson - Lowered his colours to Lachlan Delahunty but used ball well on rebound .

Mixed reviews there , WCE big men in pretty good form . Colledge the best of possible midfield inclusions for WCE , some good numbers for reserve midfielders in Maginess and Powell .

Results

League

Subiaco - 16.10 (106)
East Perth
- 12.10 (82)

Reserves

Subiaco - 15.10 (100)
East Perth
- 7.6 (48)

Last edited:
hutch will be back where he belongs soon
You have a very morose outlook on some players, not sure why? Hutchings is a very decent footballer, may not be world beating but (and I'm sounding like gws here, apologies :p) if he were given the same extended run as other players he would fit in fine.

You have a very morose outlook on some players, not sure why? Hutchings is a very decent footballer, may not be world beating but (and I'm sounding like gws here, apologies :p) if he were given the same extended run as other players he would fit in fine.

He's not AFL grade. I can't see his positives.
  • He's slow
  • Skills are c grade
  • Can't take a mark
  • Doesn't kick goals
He's just making up the numbers. Worsfold wasn't speaking too highly of him before he left. He's his is peak and unfortunately it's just too low.

He's not AFL grade. I can't see his positives.
  • He's slow
  • Skills are c grade
  • Can't take a mark
  • Doesn't kick goals
He's just making up the numbers. Worsfold wasn't speaking too highly of him before he left. He's his is peak and unfortunately it's just too low.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I can see positives in him, have for a long time. He hasn't played the consecutive games that others have been able to, but we'll see, I guess.

Don't think the delist list will be that hard this year. Smith/mcinnes/Brennan all vulnerable.

Quick question - is it Claremont policy not to play colts in the seniors? Otherwise is there a reason waterman isn't playing against the big boys ?

Smith has got to go. McGinnity hasn't come on for a few years now. Butler isn't providing any depth now at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back