The Law The Terrorism Files - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ould-destroy-anything-in-the-bible/?tid=hp_mm

Destroyed.

A place for the Muslim people to “to meditate on the questions raised by the story of Jonah: questions of justice, obedience, providence, fairness and divine mercy.”

Destroyed because ISIS have different political views.

And nobody is reporting what's going on over there because it's all just too difficult.
Scaremongering.

The article takes an interesting academic insight, and turns it into a scare piece in the last paragraph aimed at inciting Christians. Beyond idiotic and quite simply a demonstration of the most base form of propaganda.

We already know ISIS are awful. Given they have been empowered at every step by the west, I find it beyond the pale that certain elements of American media and politics are trying to use this new boogeyman to help drive more armed intervention and conflict. Also, the power of ISIS in the mideast is massively overstated, the only reason extremists like this gain traction is that we have so destabilized the ability of concerned states to resist and that nations at war, or on the brink provide fertile ground for extremism.

Scaremongering.

The article takes an interesting academic insight, and turns it into a scare piece in the last paragraph aimed at inciting Christians. Beyond idiotic and quite simply a demonstration of the most base form of propaganda.

Incite Christians into doing what? Being aware of how Christianity is being eradicated in the Middle East thanks to the various conflicts that are currently going on?

Incite Christians into doing what? Being aware of how Christianity is being eradicated in the Middle East thanks to the various conflicts that are currently going on?
It's the washington post. It's just about agitating their readership for webclicks and continuing an ongoing narrative.

The people who are mainly being hurt by ISIS et al, are mostly spiritually muslim and ethnically Arab/semetic.

Hard to get the locals to care, nor continue the case for interventionism, given America's ME fatigue if you can't make them relate, stoke the fear instinct or outrage. That's why ISIS's power is being oversold, why their barbarism is being hailed as unique and why articles like this exist.

The people who are mainly being hurt by ISIS et al, are mostly spiritually muslim and ethnically Arab/semetic.

Are Middle Eastern Christians not also Semetic/Arab?

The only reason you could argue that Christians are not the ones being 'mainly' hurt is because they aren't a majority group. In terms of how the Middle Eastern conflicts are affecting groups, Christians are stuck in the middle.

Some of the oldest peoples in the entire region are disappearing. How is it propaganda to point this out? This is actually a rare case of a msm outlet paying attention to the plight of Christians in the Middle East beyond a footnote, and even then it's hardly an extensive article.

Hard to get the locals to care, nor continue the case for interventionism, given America's ME fatigue if you can't make them relate, stoke the fear instinct or outrage. That's why ISIS's power is being oversold, why their barbarism is being hailed as unique and why articles like this exist.

ISIS is a threat to the US' favourite thing - 'democracy'. How Christians are faring is not a top priority.

Are Middle Eastern Christians not also Semetic/Arab?

The only reason you could argue that Christians are not the ones being 'mainly' hurt is because they aren't a majority group. In terms of how the Middle Eastern conflicts are affecting groups, Christians are stuck in the middle.

Some of the oldest peoples in the entire region are disappearing. How is it propaganda to point this out? This is actually a rare case of a msm outlet paying attention to the plight of Christians in the Middle East beyond a footnote, and even then it's hardly an extensive article.

ISIS is a threat to the US' favourite thing - 'democracy'. How Christians are faring is not a top priority.
Which is why my post is relevant. Regardless, the Sunni/Shiite conflict is far more heated than Christian persecution.

The central thesis is not that some of the oldest peoples in the region are disappearing, did you even read it?

The article can be encapsulated by the quoted "If it’s willing to destroy anything other religions — even other Muslims — hold sacred, what’s next?

“Basically pretty much anything in the Bible,” Hardy said."

Very few people care about the tired democracy meme, even the flag wavers. WP is supposedly left leaning, yet much like in the Iraq war years, few MS outlets purged themselves of war drum articles and opinions in favor of balance. It is how the media in the US operates, someone, somewhere is always paying media commentators to beat the drum of war over certain issues. ISIS as an excuse for further interventionism is just business as usual. The volume of these opinions, likewise a more hawkish tone taken on Russia will only intensify over the next two years leading up to the election.

Which is why my post is relevant. Regardless, the Sunni/Shiite conflict is far more heated than Christian persecution.

Depends which town you're in.

The central thesis is not that some of the oldest peoples in the region are disappearing, did you even read it?

The article can be encapsulated by the quoted "If it’s willing to destroy anything other religions — even other Muslims — hold sacred, what’s next?

“Basically pretty much anything in the Bible,” Hardy said."

Very few people care about the tired democracy meme, even the flag wavers. WP is supposedly left leaning, yet much like in the Iraq war years, few MS outlets purged themselves of war drum articles and opinions in favor of balance. It is how the media in the US operates, someone, somewhere is always paying media commentators to beat the drum of war over certain issues. ISIS as an excuse for further interventionism is just business as usual. The volume of these opinions, likewise a more hawkish tone taken on Russia will only intensify over the next two years leading up to the election.

I read it, and I don't particularly care for the tone of the article. But I took issue with one thing you said - that the article was degined to 'incite Christians'. And, again I ask, incite Christians into doing what? The US didn't go into Iraq to protect Christians in the Middle East, and they're not going to do it now. If they were interested, we'd hear them talking about it.

Liberal democracy is still the drum they are beating.

Liberal democracy is still the drum they are beating.
Incite the christian right. Like I said, it's a "liberal" paper, but they still run hawkish opeds, publish opinion that appeals to right wing readers and have a pro-war or pro-establishment slant. You would be hard pressed to find a single MS US outlet, that doesn't take a pro war angle when there is an across the board push from the government and money to do so.

Also, ever since the fundies bought out the Washington Times (then sold it), and even more recently with the crazies screaming "bias" at every opportunity, the WP is slowly sliding towards the default line.

It was a charged opinion piece and despite Christian persecution (though the site had become a mosque) being a very real thing in the ME, ISIS being truly awful and the point on destruction of iconography and relics/places of worship being interesting, yep even with all those points being worthwhile and relevant, it still managed to be propagandist trash.

Depends which town you're in.
An article worth reading.

https://theconversation.com/persecution-of-christians-by-isis-contradicts-idea-of-a-caliphate-29710

Persecution of Christians by ISIS contradicts idea of a Caliphate

ISIS conquests across northern Iraq have been comprehensive in recent weeks. Taking control of large parts of the region, they declared a Caliphate last month. And one group who have especially suffered at their hands are the Christians that have been a part of the region’s landscape for almost two millenia.

Following ISIS' consolidation of power in the region, these longstanding communities have faced brutal treatment. In what can only be considered persecution and discrimination of the highest degree, ISIS has targeted the Christians of Mosul by daubing their homes with the Arabic letter N – marking them out as Nasarah, Christians.

In a concerted and deliberate plan of ethnic cleansing, ISIS then offered Christian families three choices: convert to Islam, pay the Jizya tax (a tax of 14g of pure gold that Christians must pay in addition to normal taxes for the privilege of their faith), or leave their homes. Anyone who could not pay or refused to convert to Islam was threatened with death.

https://theconversation.com/persecution-of-christians-by-isis-contradicts-idea-of-a-caliphate-29710

TIS won't last even if ISIS is 'successful' in holding its territory. No one will trade with or recognize them, and they will eventually collapse on their own.
And neither Israel or the US will allow Jordan to fall. And I don't think Jordan will eat itself, making them pretty safe.
for them to move army materiel over open space is now impossible when the US can bring JDAMs and Drones to bear. So they will always be confined and restricted in their mandate even when they have ambition. And it is in the West's interest, well, DC on behalf of the West, to point to this (scary caliphate boo, there got you). You need your enemies like you need oxygen.

Last edited:
Israel is going to be far more help to Jordan than the USA, after all the USA has created part of this problem and are still feeding it. I can't work out how you supply weapons and money to rebel groups in Syria, which are working with ISIS, but then want to fight them in Iraq. The only way to stop them in Syria is to actually support Assad, whilst it mightn't sound like a gerat option, at least you know what you are getting.

Once again single minded foreign policy that refuses to take into consideration local conditions, ethnic groups and religious tesnions has completely backfired on the USA. This is what has happened repeated across the Middle East following right across to Pakistan. The USA clearly fails to understand or want to understand the Islamic world.
counterfactuals

chalmers johnson's blowback

South Sudan is a prime example. When they obtained independence they were producing 350,000 barrells a day, now it is less than half that due to conflict.

Conflict reduces supply and make supply actually more costly. Natural resources like oil are generally primary targets and dirsupting their flow is a key goal. What those in the West want isn't so much cheap energy but to be able to secure a designated minimum level of supply.
more so, to designate where. control where. to put the handcuffs on china's new appetite in Africa and the ME and Venezuala

more so, to designate where. control where. to put the handcuffs on china's new appetite in Africa and the ME and Venezuala
The USA might be trying to do that, but they need to be careful in doing it, China's economy is growing and is one of the 3 most important economies now in the world (USA & Germany). The USA influence in South America has been on the slide for some time now and that doesn't look like changing. 30 years ago the power of the USA economy meant South America was heavily reliant, now that there economies have grown beyond the need for USA help, they are turning elsewhere to help build growth and export earnings.

China has one great thing that will see it continue to build support through developing countries and South America, the need for fresh produce and the need for raw materials, not just oil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*WARNING* Extremely disturbing video of ISIS in action. Do not watch if you don't want to see cold murder.
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

article-2674736-1F43721400000578-726_634x406.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rld-swear-allegiance.html?ito=social-facebook

They have missed a few spots

I can't see Bradford or Birmingham dotted on that map

so is isis the bad guys or the good guys?

is al qaeda now the good guys or are they still the bad guys?

The ISIS threat is real and dangerous, it has taken only days for major parts of Iraq to crumble. Earlier in this week a video was sent to the Jordanian King telling him he was next. As a Jordanian - Australian this worries me greatly, Jordan has been an oasis of peace for the past 30 odd years and remains the only Arab country aligned with the Australia, the USA and EU. If Jordan falls the Levant will become a breeding ground for terrorists.

While Jordan is confident it can protect its own borders it is the threat from inside that has citizens and the Government on edge, Jordan currently hosts over 1,000,000 Syrian/Iraqi/Palestinian refugees - this is massive given the population of Jordan is only 6,000,000.

What do you guys think about the current situation in the middle east? I sit and wait anxiously.

800px-Territorial_control_of_the_ISIS.svg.png

Dark Red: Areas controlled by ISIS
Light Red: Areas claimed by ISIS
White: Rest of Syria & Iraq
Islamic fanatics in this ISIS/ISIL are just a tool for politicians trying to gain power and influence, now that Syria and Iraq have been drained of any real stabilising powers, like Saddam and Assad.

There's a vacuum.( the reason why the first Bush never let his general go to Bagdad 1990-91).

If you want to make a mark, and you need fighters then you recruit the fanatic, the insane, the murderers, and then the tribes that you can twist and turn by indoctrination, which seems pretty easy with some of these people , eg Sunni versus Shi-ite,

There you have your army , driven on by God to become the self righteous rulers, by over-the-top Ideals.

When you get to where you want , you dice the ridiculous, and the murderers and indoctrinated head choppers, then you settle and become what ever state you think you should.

This will not be an outcome , they will fight amongst themselves after, and they must fight the rest of the world in the end , but another reason is the Persians , Iran is heading and will become a huge controlling power in the middle east , and with it getting friendlier with the USA and with Israel making murderers out of themselves, that will probably be a good thing.

The Iranians need to moderate a bit, but they aren't stupid they see the future, and NOT with war every ten seconds..

The USA might be trying to do that, but they need to be careful in doing it, China's economy is growing and is one of the 3 most important economies now in the world (USA & Germany). The USA influence in South America has been on the slide for some time now and that doesn't look like changing. 30 years ago the power of the USA economy meant South America was heavily reliant, now that there economies have grown beyond the need for USA help, they are turning elsewhere to help build growth and export earnings.

China has one great thing that will see it continue to build support through developing countries and South America, the need for fresh produce and the need for raw materials, not just oil.
Sometimes the comment by quite a few, that the USA is "slipping in influence" I think is just not correct. This is a common easy throw away line for people to use when discussing world politics and wanting to make an argument, its always, "well the yanks are stuffed!" .

China is growing, good,I don't for a minute believe the Americans are going anywhere soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back