Melbourne Tanking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roos doesn't strike me as the type to tolerate tanking.
Have you listened to his press conferences all year? He is constantly moaning about a poor quality list, the need for extra assistance, players with mental scars. He's laid the ground work to say look at our performances so give us pick 2, 3 & 4. Screw everyone else still struggling to rebuild who have been right royally raped by the AFL in recent years due to compromised drafts like Bulldogs & Brisbane. So what do they do when the first decent draft comes along, tank so they can clean up.

If the AFL want to stop tanking then remove any future possibility of PP and fix teh draw so everyone plays each other once over the first 18 weeks and the ladder then is the draft order or introduce a draft ballot so you're not guaranteed pick 1 for the wooden spoon

To be honest? Let me take you back to the 2001 AFL Draft.

First, Melbourne trade picks #17 and #41 to Geelong for Clint Bizzell. Pick 17 in the 2001 draft - James Kelly.

Then, the draft. At pick 9, Melbourne selects Luke Molan. Molan never plays a game for the MFC due to injury.
Other players that were available: Kelly, Nick Dal Santo, Jason Gram, Matt Maguire, Steve Johnson.

Second round, Melbourne has two picks - they take Steven Armstrong (who was traded a couple of years later) and Aaron Rogers (0 games).
Other available players: Sam Mitchell, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, David Rodan, Leigh Montagna

Fourth round, Melbourne takes Brad Miller - probably the second-best player of their 2001 draft class.
Dane Swan was still on the board. So was Brian Lake.

Then, the rookie draft. Melbourne took Mark Jamar with their first pick, well and good.
Their second rookie pick, they take a bloke called David Robbins.
The pick immediately after, made by the Western Bulldogs, was Matthew Boyd.
Nathan Bock and Sandi were still on the board too.

From there, you can just read the cacophany. Melbourne's drafting from 2002-2004 netted them, really, five players: Brock McLean, Jared Rivers, Lynden Dunn, Aaron Davey and Col Sylvia. For crying out loud, we drafted Gary Moorcroft in the third round in 2002.

In 2005, we drafted Nath Jones in the first. We gave our second to Port for Byron Pickett. Could have had Andrew Swallow or Matt Spangher. Our fourth-rounders, we drafted Simon Buckley and Clint Bartram. Barty did well but went down with a degenerative knee injury and retired; Buckley did f-all. Geelong drafted Stokes immediately after Bartram.

2006, not bad. Frawley in the first, Petterd in the second, Garland in the third. Coulda had Kurt Tippett instead of Petterd. Or Goldstein. Or Houli. Plus there was Issac Weetra in the fourth. Westhoff still on the board.

2007. Cale Morton, pick 4. Dangerfield at pick 10. Cyril at 12. Callan Ward at 19.
Addam Maric at 21. Scott Selwood at 22. Levi Greenwood at 32. Jack Steven at 42.
Trent Zomer, pick 3 RD. Nathan Grima, pick 14.

2008. Jack Watts, pick 1. Need I say more? NicNat, Hill, Hartlett, Hurley, Rich, Ziebull, Davis, Sidebottom, Tom T Lynch.
Blease, pick 17. Shuey, pick 18.
Strauss, pick 19. Ballantyne, pick 21. Jackson Trengove, Zaharakis, Jack Redden, Beams, Hannebury.
Bennell, pick 35. Broadbent, Liam Anthony, Sloane, Taylor Hunt.
PSD we get slammed for Rockliff, but we took the risk on Jurrah.
Rookie, coulda had De Boer.

And then there's just the bad luck. Scott Thompson getting homesick. Troy Broadbridge probably would have played for another 5-7 years assuming he wouldn't have been injured - he was just turning really good. Aussie Wonaeamirri's dad and his mentor wrecking him mentally. Unearthing the biggest freak I've seen on a footy field in Jurrah only to lose him. Mitch Clark's lisfranc. Jim Stynes' illness decapitating the administration for at least 18 months. The $cully saga. Even now, Jesse Hogan's injury.

It's a combination of a Daniher side being in a constant 'win-now' mode and barely playing the kids and then an administration too busy playing politics and trying to grow their own power base to the crippling of the football department. Hindsight tells us Dean Bailey was probably on the right track to some degree - but then, even if we'd kept him we probably would have lost him anyway.

To be honest, I feel like the Melbourne Football Club is cursed. It can't just be terrible administration that causes this onslaught of epic proportions.
Its been a perfect storm scenario over a prolonged period

Its been a perfect storm scenario over a prolonged period
Exactly. Ultimately, its the culmination of 20 years of infighting at Melbourne on the administrative side (going back to before the merger) and Neale Daniher's all-or-nothing attempt at a flag.

Why would the players tank? They are jeopordising their careers to get higher draft picks into the club, who will then create more competition and make it harder for them to stay on the list

Tanking has to come from the coach, with selection and timing of when to take the players off, playing guys out of position. So saying they are tanking but that Roos isn't in on it doesn't make sense.
This! The players don't tank ever. I have a frim belief that the reason why the demons were not convicted of tanking was because the players were trying to win. The clubs uppity ups done it too them. I hate losing and I bet every single Australian rules footballer across the land does too

I don't believe its their recruitment team, I reckon its their development team. I refuse to believe anyone could continually get it wrong to that degree, its whats happening after they get through the doors that is the issue. Having said that what on earth is going on once they get in the doors??

If the AFL want to stop tanking then remove any future possibility of PP and fix teh draw so everyone plays each other once over the first 18 weeks and the ladder then is the draft order or introduce a draft ballot so you're not guaranteed pick 1 for the wooden spoon

putting in a rule against tanking is like making a rule against suicide. melbourne should be the ultimate example how destructive tanking is. given the random nature of the draft anyway you'd have to be either a total fool or an insider for another club if you decide to tank.

putting in a rule against tanking is like making a rule against suicide. melbourne should be the ultimate example how destructive tanking is. given the random nature of the draft anyway you'd have to be either a total fool or an insider for another club if you decide to tank.
You can actually be charged with attempted murder for attempting to take your own life.

The thing about tanking is that if you take away the incentive to tank then tanking no longer serves a purpose. If you worked the draft off a ballot system rather than purely a ladder position you would remove that incentive. As other threads have discussed about splitting a ballot into 3 groups of 6, Melbourne being in group 1 for picks 1-6 could end up with pick1 or pick6 they don't know so tanking so you finish 17th instead of 14th serves no real benefit.

My real view on Melbourne is that they should be made to suffer for their own failures as a club. The Jim Stynes era as chairman of the club has a lot to answer for. It was under his watch they tanked, they sacked Bailey and appointed Neeld.

My real view on Melbourne is that they should be made to suffer for their own failures as a club. The Jim Stynes era as chairman of the club has a lot to answer for. It was under his watch they tanked, they sacked Bailey and appointed Neeld.

You don't call what that club has gone though the last decade as suffering? don't think we need to be punishing them further. And that's just on the field. not to mention the fact that people involved with that club just seem to dying horrible deaths at an alarming rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF, the bloke was dying of cancer you *****.

So they didn't tank, didn't sack bailey and didn't appoint Neeld during his time in charge?

Are you saying that you think that Stynes, in-between his chemo treatments, told Melbourne to tank?

Because it sounds like that's what you're saying, except I really couldn't believe that anyone could be that ******* dumb to suggest such a thing. Not even you could be such a pathetic flog, or are you?

Are you saying that you think that Stynes, in-between his chemo treatments, told Melbourne to tank?

Because it sounds like that's what you're saying, except I really couldn't believe that anyone could be that ******* dumb to suggest such a thing. Not even you could be such a pathetic flog, or are you?
Maybe you can't read. He said the Jim stynes era as chairman. This is when this occurred. I appreciated stynes but someone at the club did all this during his time in charge. If he wasn't well enough to be in charge then whoever had the designated authority certainly did it.

Maybe you can't read. He said the Jim stynes era as chairman. This is when this occurred. I appreciated stynes but someone at the club did all this during his time in charge. If he wasn't well enough to be in charge then whoever had the designated authority certainly did it.

Maybe you have nfi what you're talking about. Stynes had stood down from his role when a lot of that stuff took place. The poor bloke was months away from death when you're accusing him of tanking.

You either have nfi or you are a revolting individual.

Which is it?

Maybe you have nfi what you're talking about. Stynes had stood down from his role when a lot of that stuff took place. The poor bloke was months away from death when you're accusing him of tanking.

You either have nfi or you are a revolting individual.

Which is it?

You seem to be overreacting. Dean bailey was sacked in his time in charge. The tanking accusations of 2009 were in his time in charge.

So you can withdraw your accusations.

In addition I'm out because I know the sensitivities mean that any rational discussion can not be had.

Melbourne arent tanking.

They were just utter s**t, in a game that GWS played better and harder than they had any right to.

We just wanted it more.

PS Move this to the Bay, and then divvy this s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back