Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key clause in what I said was 'one of the worst teams in the competition' bit. Geelong and Hawthorn could cope pretty easily with the losses of those two players because they were already on top and had a bunch of players who were even better. GWS telling Patton to retire at the age of 20 so that they can get a compensation pick would be ridiculous and unlikely to happen and I don't think a team would ever tell one of their best players to do that if there was a reasonable chance they could get their bodies right, nor would the player ever consent to it. I'm pretty sure the AFL would be able to measure the severity of the injury pretty easily.

Yeah, but Hogan will be playing next year, so we don't need any priority pick or even any draft picks at all. Smell the Premiership coffee.

I'm not saying it would happen but I wouldn't call a voluntary retirement a good enough reason for a pp

I'm playing devils advocat on this one
I'd love to get a pick for it but I just don't think it's a reasonable argument
You could use it in top of the rest of our argument But I think the decision shouldn't change based on the Clark situation

Also what If they gave us a pick , then Clark came out of retirement next year?
I don't think you can call Clark's retirement 'voluntary'. Yes he agreed to terminate his contract but only because circumstances looked like it would be detrimental to his health to stay on at the club and he didn't want to be paid even though he wasn't playing or training. Like I said, it's certainly an extreme circumstance i.e. one which is at the polar end of dire.

I agree though that it'd be a farce if he came back after we'd received the pick, but that's not exactly something that we can control. At any rate Clark's retirement should only be one consideration in the overall PP discussion.

Yeah, but Hogan will be playing next year, so we don't need any priority pick or even any draft picks at all. Smell the Premiership coffee.

This premiership coffee that you speak of smells suspiciously like decaf. Or feces.

I don't think you can call Clark's retirement 'voluntary'. Yes he agreed to terminate his contract but only because circumstances looked like it would be detrimental to his health to stay on at the club and he didn't want to be paid even though he wasn't playing or training. Like I said, it's certainly an extreme circumstance i.e. one which is at the polar end of dire.

I agree though that it'd be a farce if he came back after we'd received the pick, but that's not exactly something that we can control. At any rate Clark's retirement should only be one consideration in the overall PP discussion.

Yeah but If I was the AFL I would then be asking for a written agreement that Clark was done with the AFL, and I wouldnt allow him to be registered to play next season If melbourne was given a pick on the basis of his retirement

Whether or not it was detrimental to his health it was still 'voluntary'
He wasnt forced to retire, He could have stayed on the LTI and been ruled out for the season and given personal leave
He didnt have to retire and recieve a payout from us

So should Geelong have to one for matty Egan?
Hawthorn for Trent croad?

What about if GWS tell Patton to retire and ask for one themselves ?

I think it opens to many possibilities
They retired because of an injury, Clark retired with depression.

Similarly with a fatality, Clark was suddenly and unexpectedly taken away from us.

They retired because of an injury, Clark retired with depression.

Similarly with a fatality, Clark was suddenly and unexpectedly taken away from us.

Except there is nothing from stopping him from playing again next season, unlike death

He would need to be De-registered for atleast 3 seasons for it to be fair IMO

Tough to speculate on trades until compo and PP determined. However might be fun to speculate what may happen (Need new thread on this maybe ?).
Anycase, the following is possible:-
1. Pick 2 - Probably same as last year trading for Midfielder and mid 1st round pick.
2. Kicking out of defense a worry - Malceski (Syd)
3. Need some class up forward - Motlop (Gee)
4. Backup ruckman would be good - Hannah (Freo)
5. Tall forward - Maybe change next year as Hogan, Dawes, Gawn, Fitpatrick have had no real chance to play with each other yet.
6. Gain Stretch (Mid) this year and Lovett (Mid) next year.

Tough to speculate on trades until compo and PP determined. However might be fun to speculate what may happen (Need new thread on this maybe ?).
1. Pick 2 - Probably same as last year trading for Midfielder and mid 1st round pick.
5. Tall forward - Maybe change next year as Hogan, Dawes, Gawn, Fitpatrick have had no real chance to play with each other yet.

I will mail you my testicles if we get Motlop

As much as we need a bit of everything, Roos has constantly said we need quality mids asap. So I'd suggest our early picks would be used on mids - either the best in the draft (Petracca and Brayshaw) or trading for young, talented, ready-made mids like the Tyson deal.

Another ruck/forward option would be good for later in the draft for sure.

As much as we need a bit of everything, Roos has constantly said we need quality mids asap. So I'd suggest our early picks would be used on mids - either the best in the draft (Petracca and Brayshaw) or trading for young, talented, ready-made mids like the Tyson deal.

Another ruck/forward option would be good for later in the draft for sure.

My thoughts exactly

I think as a rule Roos will look to draft class midfielders early (unless we can trade for them) and trade for rucks and talls.

I've heard that he's not a fan of drafting talls from the TAC Cup - and as such we won't be taking Wright or McCartin.

I think as a rule Roos will look to draft class midfielders early (unless we can trade for them) and trade for rucks and talls.

I've heard that he's not a fan of drafting talls from the TAC Cup - and as such we won't be taking Wright or McCartin.

Huh. Wonder who we'll look to pick off in the event that St Kilda go with Petracca or trade GWS their first pick (and assuming we get another pick at #3). Who's the #3 midfielder after Petracca and Brayshaw?

Huh. Wonder who we'll look to pick off in the event that St Kilda go with Petracca or trade GWS their first pick (and assuming we get another pick at #3). Who's the #3 midfielder after Petracca and Brayshaw?

Not really a clear one I think.

Weller, Laverde and Pickett are all very talented - #3 might seem a bit of a reach for them, but if we aren't keen on any of the talls I'd go for one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really a clear one I think.

Weller, Laverde and Pickett are all very talented - #3 might seem a bit of a reach for them, but if we aren't keen on any of the talls I'd go for one of them.

Of course you could then use the assumption that we will have 3 well and truly on the table for a side who wants a look at Wright/McCartin

Of course you could then use the assumption that we will have 3 well and truly on the table for a side who wants a look at Wright/McCartin

My thoughts exactly, wonder if we could do a little under the table deal with the saints for them to leave Petracca.

Let's just draft the player that falls to us... funnily enough the no.1 pick rarely becomes the best player in the draft, there's plenty of good players up the top end, no need for any shady deals.

Whilst mids are critical, we're so desperate all over the ground that well get value regardless.

Its true but with
Hogan, Watts, Cook, Clark, Dawes and then Scully leaving
We have hardly invested any high picks in Mids
We need to go MID MID MID MID MID

Its true but with

This guy gets it

You could argue that Hawthorn have been better this year without Franklin
Im not sure you need 2 superstar forwards, More your one big guy then guys around him capable of kick 3-4 on any given day

Good news is we are going to get multiple chances for years to get players in the top 10

Its true but with
Yes but you wouldn't argue with a Patton or Boyd either. It comes down to the player.

Having said that I'd be shocked if we don't have at least 1 mid lined up with a first rounder.

Yes but you wouldn't argue with a Patton or Boyd either. It comes down to the player.

Having said that I'd be shocked if we don't have at least 1 mid lined up with a first rounder.

If we could somehow trade out Dawes and Fitzpatrick to Carlton or something for there second rounder then I would consider taking a Tall

If we could somehow trade out Dawes and Fitzpatrick to Carlton or something for there second rounder then I would consider taking a Tall
So much hinges on the Frawley compo.

Our regular first has to be a mid no question. P2?

If we got first round compo and were to trade it you'd think it would be for a mid. In the draft I think they'd be more open. As mentioned by others we also need a decent KPD but it sounds like there will be no options to justify such an early pick so mid or KPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back