NFL 2014 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

James white = earth shattering ;)
44-KRS-One-LOL.gif

Well that is the kick in the pants we need – two from 4 in the preseason, looked good at home but away, still a concern.

Typical last preseason game though – in saying that, I am sure the coaching staff really got a lot out of that result in terms of who makes it. That sort of game is one we needed – looked good early, couldn’t cope with the pressure, then playing catch up the rest of the game. You generally learn a lot more from a loss than a win and against a team who hasn't had much success, it is a reality check.

Pryor probably played his way out of a roster spot but TJack really hasn’t done a lot either. I like Daniels but he will be a practice squad only.

Oakland looked really good with Carr at QB- Schaub will start I am sure but gee, if he crumbles in the first game, questions will be asked.

Well that is the kick in the pants we need – two from 4 in the preseason, looked good at home but away, still a concern.

Typical last preseason game though – in saying that, I am sure the coaching staff really got a lot out of that result in terms of who makes it. That sort of game is one we needed – looked good early, couldn’t cope with the pressure, then playing catch up the rest of the game. You generally learn a lot more from a loss than a win and against a team who hasn't had much success, it is a reality check.

Pryor probably played his way out of a roster spot but TJack really hasn’t done a lot either. I like Daniels but he will be a practice squad only.

Oakland looked really good with Carr at QB- Schaub will start I am sure but gee, if he crumbles in the first game, questions will be asked.

Not that concerned. Carr did damn well with that opening drive, but Wilson marched down the field in 4 plays - effectively picked up 77 years in 3 plays, most of it with the passes to Miller and Willson. Touchdown. Then they all shut up for the night. Bad luck was there, with Walters fumbling the kickoff. Then ST *s up the next punt, allowing the PR to the 20.

Beyond the two opening drives, no starters played. Carr did well for that first drive too, but it's also just the preseason. As far as I'm concerned, the starters went 7-7 and shut up shop after that. Good pick 6 by Shead, good drives by both Daniels and Pryor (Daniels much better) and that's the game.

Next Thursday is where it's at. Rodgers vs the LOB.

The NFL has stiffened its penalties for domestic violence, instituting a six-game suspension for a first-time offense and "lifetime ban" for a second.
It's a direct response to the blistering criticism the league received after banning Ray Rice for only two games earlier this summer. Commissioner Roger Goodell admitted he "didn't get it right" in the Rice case. Now, a first time domestic-violence offense is no longer viewed as less serious than smoking marijuana. For a "lifetime" ban, an offender can "petition for reinstatement after one year."

I wonder what this means for Greg Hardy? It sounds like the NFL is waiting for his court trial to finish, so maybe he'll be suspended next year?

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the NFL and NFLPA recently began formal talks to raise marijuana test levels.

Currently, the NFL's threshold of THC levels to trigger a positive marijuana test is 15 nanograms per milliliter. The NFL got that number from the World Anti-Doping Agency a few years ago, but WADA raised its level to 150 ng/ml last summer. MLB's threshold is 50 ng/ml. Just as Ray Rice's case forced the NFL to stiffen penalties against domestic violence, Josh Gordon's will likely be the one that gets the NFL to soften its stance against marijuana.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of very good comments in that PFT article too worth reading....

Josh Gordon hasn’t ruled out litigation, yet
Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
gordon4.jpg
AP
A lawyer who apparently isn’t too busy to check out PFT (and we appreciate that) has floated an intriguing theory about the out-of-the-blue decision by Browns receiver Josh Gordon to seek permission to play in the land of Labatt Blue.

Did Gordon ask to play in Canada knowing that the request would be denied, so that he in turn could bolster an effort to seek an injunction preventing the implementation of his suspension via a lawsuit challenging the suspension?

Those facts would help show what the law calls “irreparable harm,” one of the key factors that must exist for a court tell a party who wants to do something to not do it until the case has ended. Gordon currently is caught in a vise, unable to play for the Browns and also not permitted while suspended to play for anyone else. While that may not win the day, it’s one of those real-world facts that could cause a judge to conclude that Josh has gotten jobbed.

Of course, none of that is relevant unless and until Gordon sues. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon’s legal team is still exploring the possibility of filing suit.

Time is running out. Practice in advance of the Week One game at Pittsburgh begins on Wednesday. Courts will likely be shut down until Tuesday, given the holiday weekend. If Gordon wants to get an order allowing him to practice and play, he needs to move a lot more quickly than, say, the NFL did in resolving his appeal.

Pathetic rumour started by some bitter weasel on the internet no doubt.

Even more ridiculous re the Gordon suspension is that he will be banished from all Browns activities!!! That's crazy! These guys need the club involvement to keep them in line. The whole NFL drug policy is so flawed, needs to be re-written and thrown out. BTW doesn't excuse Gordon for being an idiot, he should have known the rules as the players agreed to it.

Just on pre season, impressed with Carr and Bortles, that second TD by Carr ...nice.

Pathetic rumour started by some bitter weasel on the internet no doubt.

Even more ridiculous re the Gordon suspension is that he will be banished from all Browns activities!!! That's crazy! These guys need the club involvement to keep them in line. The whole NFL drug policy is so flawed, needs to be re-written and thrown out. BTW doesn't excuse Gordon for being an idiot, he should have known the rules as the players agreed to it.

Just on pre season, impressed with Carr and Bortles, that second TD by Carr ...nice.

Yeah. SI's season preview article with Wilson actually said he and his wife had been in marriage counselling all last year before the divorce, and the biggest issue was that Wilson thinks divorce is a sin...but I doubt any peddling of that kind of s**t would happen in SI.

Personally I think it's a load of bull. Apparently half the reason Tate ended up leaving was because he was insulted by the Seahawks' offer to him rather than any off-field junk - he was all over Twitter with it.

That said, even if it did happen...well, Tate's gone, so is Ashton, while Russell won a Super Bowl with that s**t going on around him. And he's still in Seattle. And seems to be getting better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back