US Open 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

What is wrong with this statement? Anyone?

Is Kyrgios a chance? If he comes playing like he did today, he might be favorite. Kyrgios is not like getting an extra ball or two but obviously has the power to get through that. With Youzhny he was actually struggling with no pace so it depends on which Nick turns up. Clearly has the game to do it.

I'm curious where they'll put this one. With it being the weekend, cbs will want the big matches, generally a slightly less bigger match gets the night match on Ashe. This could be it. I'm probably wrong
I'm hoping for a night match (Sunday morning our time) would be great

What is the story of Estrella?

A 34 year old player from the Dominican Republic. As you would expect for a tennis player from the Dominican Republic he struggled to get the cash to travel to tournaments early on in his career. Turned pro when he was 22 but mainly played local tournaments and Davis Cup. Quit for a while and became a coach but then decided to give it another crack in 2006. He got to the top 300 in 2008 but his ranking pretty well plateaued there and he became a Futures/Challenger journeyman playing predominantly in South America. Finally won his first Challenger title in Colombia at the age of 31. Then towards the end of 2012 he tore cartilage in his elbow and took six months off. Obviously retirement then became a big option because his ranking had started to dip and up until then his career high was 163 which was going to be tough for him to reach again at the age of 32. He came back anyway and cracked the top 100 in February this year, got his Grand Slam Main draw debut at the French Open and is now into the third round at the US Open. His run at the US Open is even better with all the Dominicans who are incredibly vocal with their support. You could hear them during Kyrgios' match this morning. With this result he moves to 69 on the live rankings and is pretty much assured of staying in the top 100 until next year.

Genie!
genieyum_zps2465aec0.jpg

Stosur should just stop. Has made a career out of losing to nobodies.

Yeah cos a Grandslam counts for nothing :rolleyes:

Bit sick of this criticism of Sam by flogs - she's been our most successful women's player for a long time, and arguably the most successful Aussie over the last 5 years or so. Obviously is dealing with some mental demons, but FFS tennis is a headwrecking game, and you NEVER see her carry on to the media or fake injuries or doing dickhead things off the court. She goes out there and tries her best every time and works her arse off.

Get behind her.

Last edited:
Venus Williams bagelled by Sara Errani.

You know it's the right time to retire when you stoop that low

Yeah noticed that too. Well...at least he defended those points. And if you are going to retire before a certain match, Ferrer in BO5 is fair enough I guess.

11am Sunday for Kyrgios versus Robredo

I was right.... Dellacqua is 2nd on court 17 (although I Have heard the first match nishikori has withdrawn)

Groth/Federer coming up after this Berdych match

Yeah cos a Grandslam counts for nothing :rolleyes:

Bit sick of this criticism of Sam by flogs - she's been our most successful women's player for a long time, and arguably the most successful Aussie over the last 5 years or so. Obviously is dealing with some mental demons, but FFS tennis is a headwrecking game, and you NEVER see her carry on to the media or fake injuries or doing dickhead things off the court. She goes out there and tries her best every time and works her arse off.

Get behind her.

Gaston Gaudio won a Grand Slam tournament. So did Francesca Schoavone.

One Slam wonders.

Her ability should have seen her win multiple Grand Slams. Her problem is she isn't smart enough on court. Her lack of court smarts has seen her lose to lesser players on a consistent basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was right.... Dellacqua is 2nd on court 17 (although I Have heard the first match nishikori has withdrawn)

Groth/Federer coming up after this Berdych match

So Dellacqua will potentially be 1am fox sports?

Last edited:
what happened to Tomic, he couldnt even a play a point. ?

Hip issue, to be fair he was limping around in the Brown match but who knows how serious it is.

Groth started off well considering, Fed will find his returning form though.

Hip issue, to be fair he was limping around in the Brown match but who knows how serious it is.
Groth started off well considering, Fed will find his returning form though.

Ah ok, I thought he had a chance against Ferrer. I supposed he doesnt want to risk it since he had hip surgery a few months ago.

Groth lol every time I see him, I think of the KIA ads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back