Preview Changes vs Richmond - Finals Week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

IN: O'Shea, Young.
OUT: Neade/Moore, Impey.

Whichever of Neade/Moore that isn't omitted can be the sub.
Changed my mind a little bit.

IN: O'Shea.
OUT: Moore/Impey.

I don't think we, as supporters, should be giving much weight to our last game against Richmond.

A) Traditionally, we're ******* horrendous at Etihad stadium, we're playing them at home this time.

B) If we were to go in unchanged this week, the differences in our team from Round 17 to our team for the EF would be:
IN: Trengove, Carlile, Neade, Moore, Monfries.
OUT: O'Shea, Logan, Gray, Young, Mitchell.

C) Our form is significantly better than what it was in Round 17.

I'm not taking Richmond lightly, but I'm certainly confident.

Last edited:

Im sick of reading the form of the past 10 weeks and who both we and and they played and who was missing and who was not.

Finals is a new season. Sure you carry confidence in and Richmond will do so. I think we will too from out last 3 weeks. Finals footy is simple. Win the contested ball, and the teams who cope best with pressure, defend hard and can execute skills (efficiency by hand and foot and in front of goals) will win.

This could be either side, but I am confident we will be up for the fight. The game just gone was finals intensity. We need that desperation this week.

In - O'Shea, Young
Out - Moore Neade

Sub Young.

Finals is a new season. Sure you carry confidence in and Richmond will do so. I think we will too from out last 3 weeks. Finals footy is simple. Win the contested ball, and the teams who cope best with pressure, defend hard and can execute skills (efficiency by hand and foot and in front of goals) will win.
So basically, the team that plays better will win? Lel.

So basically, the team that plays better will win? Lel.
pretty much haha...

you know what I mean. We have all seen finals and the pressure is always a level up. Sometimes inexperienced finals teams can be spooked and s**t themselves a little bit. We need to be firing from the very first bounce.

Not having the Magpies play this weekend hasn't been ideal. Somehow I don't think there will be any changes - which would be a mistake.
Richmond will be hard to beat - Young and Logan are the sparks we need.

Out - Neade - gives us bugger all and doesn't nail his chances when he gets them.

In - Harvey - Harvey has to be instructed his job is to run and jump into Maric and other ruckmen at every opportunity he gets. He was to put his knees and elbows into Maric's rib cage, thighs, collar bone etc at every contest. His #1 job would have been to soften up Maric and co so that Lobbe can get a good rest and come over the top in the 2nd half. By playing Harvey it also frees up Westhoff to go to CHB and let Jacko have 5 minutes at Maric each quarter to use his vertical leap asset against Maric.

And don't give me this Harvey isn't ready s**t. He is ready to do a limited job. Have him run off and breath pure oxygen as he sits on the bench just like they do in the NFL if he gives everything he has in 5 minute bursts. Make him the most rotated player in a half in 2014. So what if he gets that record.

Out - Moore - just doesn't do enough
In - O'Shea - frees up one of other defenders to play wing and can play as an extra tall to help free up Jacko in the ruck.

Out - Monfries just isn't a sub - I don't reckon he is fully fit.
In - Young - he is a better sub and a better forward option than Monfries.

yes because bringing in a first gamer for a final would be the perfect idea.
Out - Neade - gives us bugger all and doesn't nail his chances when he gets them.

In - Harvey - Harvey has to be instructed his job is to run and jump into Maric and other ruckmen at every opportunity he gets. He was to put his knees and elbows into Maric's rib cage, thighs, collar bone etc at every contest. His #1 job would have been to soften up Maric and co so that Lobbe can get a good rest and come over the top in the 2nd half. By playing Harvey it also frees up Westhoff to go to CHB and let Jacko have 5 minutes at Maric each quarter to use his vertical leap asset against Maric.

And don't give me this Harvey isn't ready s**t. He is ready to do a limited job. Have him run off and breath pure oxygen as he sits on the bench just like they do in the NFL if he gives everything he has in 5 minute bursts. Make him the most rotated player in a half in 2014. So what if he gets that record.

Out - Moore - just doesn't do enough
In - O'Shea - frees up one of other defenders to play wing and can play as an extra tall to help free up Jacko in the ruck.

Out - Monfries just isn't a sub - I don't reckon he is fully fit.
In - Young - he is a better sub and a better forward option than Monfries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes because bringing in a first gamer for a final would be the perfect idea.

If our selection committee were awake he would have debuted already but they were asleep. Our 20th, 21st will probably produce bugger all on the night -you know 6 disposals and 30 championdata points. I'd rather have Mitch Harvey get those numbers and use his big frame to help out Lobbe by softening up Maric than Neade doing bugger all in the forward line.

Plenty of kids have debuted in a finals and done well. I'm not asking Harvey to kick 5 goals like Dermie did when he debuted in a semi final in 1982. I'm asking that we pick him to do a specific job and that he is only going to play 2 to 3 quarters.

Not having the Magpies play this weekend hasn't been ideal. Somehow I don't think there will be any changes - which would be a mistake.
Richmond will be hard to beat - Young and Logan are the sparks we need.
everyones fresh to come in, probably oshea the only change. young is injured, logan may come in too, a game this week doesnt really mean much, everyone is match fit at this stage of the season, a week off may help any sore spots.

If our selection committee were awake he would have debuted already but they were asleep. Our 20th, 21st will probably produce bugger all on the night -you know 6 disposals and 30 championdata points. I'd rather have Mitch Harvey get those numbers and use his big frame to help out Lobbe by softening up Maric than Neade doing bugger all in the forward line.

Plenty of kids have debuted in a finals and done well. I'm not asking Harvey to kick 5 goals like Dermie did when he debuted in a semi final in 1982. I'm asking that we pick him to do a specific job and that he is only going to play 2 to 3 quarters.
I like your rationale, REH, but can't see it happening.
Make no mistake, the Sandilands factor was as important as any after half-time yesterday, assisted to a large degree by Zac Clark's ability to beat a tiring Lobbe, and the brilliant stoppage work of Neale and Mundy in the third quarter who dominated our boys during that 9 goal run.

Still, we made our bed, refused to change the sheets during Trengove's lay-off, and now will need to lie in it for the remainder of this season.

I'm comfortable that if we select O'Shea, his ability to cover opposition third talls for 5-10 minute periods at a time, will enable us to throw Trengove into the ruck. That should be enough to give Lobbe the rest he needs to be fresher than he was against Freo.

Fail to select O'Shea, and I fear a repeat of Lobbe's tiring against Richmond this Sunday.

PJ Power "Make no mistake, the Sandilands factor was as important as any after half-time yesterday".
Great comment - I think we all forgot how devastating this giant can be.

But you can't rely upon that. What happens if we get a few injuries early in the game and then we are forced to play Harvey for the whole game?

Kern is not the type of coach to throw a debutant into a finals game. He will pick the same blokes as he has all year which is the right thing to do.

I like your rationale, REH, but can't see it happening.

it wont happen because our selection panel has been weak all year, not one brave strong bold selection, just shuffled the fringe players around. those poor selections back then are costing us now. the ship was sinking, the season slipping away, golden opportunity to be bold, be brave, the thing thats preached all year round, yet several players were horribly out of form so what moves were made, drop mitchell, drop gray, bring stewart in and out, just shuffle the fringe players around, keep horribly out of form players in the team and then wonder why we are looking down the barrel now. not one brave move, not one strong message given not just to one out of form 'star' but to the squad as a whole. the message should have been underperform and you are out, but everyone was allowed to just float along while the season slipped away. we shouldnt be scared of a few tough decisions, but we were.

But you can't rely upon that. What happens if we get a few injuries early in the game and then we are forced to play Harvey for the whole game?

Kern is not the type of coach to throw a debutant into a finals game. He will pick the same blokes as he has all year which is the right thing to do.

I keep hearing we need to brave! Its time to walk the talk.

If the kid has to play longer than need be, then so be it. He plays deep in the forward line and he gets heavily rotated.

So is his foot so bad he will miss more than next week? I see he didn't make the eligible squad for the Maggies finals campaign.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-26/list-of-eligible-players-for-sanfl-finals

injury aside he played more games for the power than the maggies and didnt play 3 of the last 5 games in the sanfl so he doesnt qualify, however as long as the power are still in the comp he can still play in the finals for the maggies, as soon as the power are out (hopefully not before the gf) he cant play for the maggies.

if he is fit and doesnt get selected for the power he can play in the sanfl this week.

he may be back this week but it didnt look too good for him at glenelg oval. but who really knows how quick he can recover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back