2014 Mature Aged Players

Remove this Banner Ad

This is true, but Sinclair dominates the WAFL. He would be good as a pinch hitting ruck/forward in a teams starting 18, however Cameron is a long way back from this level.

Like Sinclair, if you draft him, you may have to be patient. He can definitely make it, but isn't AFL ready ATM.

Baulderstone is who I would be looking at.

Thats what I would be doing with Cameron. Has shown an ability to hold his own at WAFL seniors level.

Ed Morris has put in a few good performances at Casey this year.

Do you think a club might take a look at him?

Is a bit of a shorty but speaking to some people at his local club (Casey Scorpions) last week, he has been under the watchful eye of several Melbourne based clubs.

My opinion on the WAFL guys you've listed:

Cameron - How many other state league reserves footballers get pumped up as much as this bloke? Has had a very poor year form wise, but people are continuing to talk him up based on his reputation. I just don't understand? Move on! I'd say he will definitely make it as a WAFL league player, but it's just fanciful to be putting him up as an AFL prospect.

Saunders - Would love to see it happen. Very powerful footballer, I suppose somewhat similar to Brett Ebert in that he is a dwarf trying to play a key position role, so I'm not sure how he'd translate to AFL. Absolutely beautiful kick of the football and a genuine clutch performer. Powerful on the lead and at WAFL level opposition sides are forced to play their bigger key defenders on him just due to his strength in one on one contests. Clever and clean at ground level. I think he'd do ok if given a chance.

Schloithe - Has done everything you could have possibly asked for this season after being delisted. Progressed his game into a full time midfielder who racks up touches at will and is tenacious at the contest. May struggle to get a look in again due to his size, but I reckon he could carve out a career in the mould of a guy like Ashton Hams - a handy depth player.

Hampson - Another one I really like. Just a damn clever footballer, but is probably too slightly framed. Consistently finds himself in the right spots at the right time and possesses a clever knack of outjudging bigger and stronger opponents in the air. Started the year like a house on fire, with frequent 30+ disposal games to go along with bags of goals. Would be great if he gets the chance, but for a guy of his size to be successful in the AFL he'd probably have to be a lot more explosive in his movements.

As for other guys who I think may get a look in:

Brendon Abbott - A really nice 188cm type who can play forward or back. Built like a gorilla and has a nasty streak. Struggled a bit last year as an 18 year old with off field issues affecting his game, seeing him move back to Albany for a significant portion of the season. Has came back and has no trouble slotting into the league side and has played mostly up forward. I think he's a very good chance of a rookie spot somewhere, most likely for one of the WA clubs.

Ricky Cary - Rangy key forward type, many are put off with his lack of weight, but he is capable of some mercurial stuff when left one out. Made mincemeat of Fremantle's fringe key defenders in a game earlier on in the year and has had intermittent success since. Probably unlikely, but I can see why a club might see reason to invest in him.

Shane Yarran - Dangerous medium sized forward who can play the roles of a crumber or a lead up forward equally well. From what I have seen, he looks to have the killer instinct that tends to act as a separator between state league and AFL footballers. Certainly has the tools to continue to develop his defensive game, which may need a bit of improvement, but with a bit of time and focus I don't think will hold him back too much.

Some WAFL players I would consider. I won't mention guys who have been talked about for years but who never get drafted (eg Shane Nelson)

Tim Kelly (20) South Fremantle - I think this guy deserves a shot. Decent athleticism and size. Can win the ball and can run and carry. Skills are solid. Has a well-rounded game but perhaps versatility is an issue. Apparently tested well last year, production is good. Not sure why there isn't more interest.

Haiden Schloithe (21) South Fremantle - Has had an excellent year. Small size but that hasn't stopped others from carving out an AFL career. At AFL level I probably see him more as a small defender who can run through the midfield and perform a defensive role - but that really hasn't been his role this year.

Tom Shanahan (19) East Perth - Probably rookie at best but was unlucky last year. Has dominated in the reserves and has outplayed many of the Eagles rookies at that grade. Has finally broken through to the league team and his form during the finals will be one to watch.

Brendon Abbott (19) Claremont - Big bodied player with some athleticism who is still learning the game and will take some time to build an AFL engine. Eagles apparently interested.

Mitch McGovern (19) Claremont - Looks like a smaller but more athletic version of his brother. If you like what his brother brings to the game then you'll probably also be interested in this guy.

What's your opinion on someone like West Perth's Aaron Black? I haven't seen him play, but judging by his numbers this year (30.35 disposals per game, 7.15 marks per game, 2.15 tackles per game) and last year (25.36 disposals per game, 6.18 marks per game, 1.73 tackles per game), he seems like he might be a hard-running Dane Swan-type linkman. Is this correct? What are his weaknesses as a player? Too small (listed at 178cm, 77kg)? Too slow? Poor footskills? Just seems like someone putting up those kind of numbers at his age (turns 22 on Christmas Day this year) might have some upside at the next level. Again, purely going by his numbers, haven't actually seem him play.

I notice that Black also has a similar-sized (176cm, 73kg), similar-aged (about six months younger) teammate in Shane Nelson, who is also putting up big numbers (they sit #1 and #2 in disposals in the WAFL). He's ticking along at 31.10 disposals per game, 3.90 marks per game, 3.30 tackles per game this season, after putting up 27.05 disposals per game, 3.14 marks per game, 2.14 tackles per game. What's the go with him?

Have noticed that despite their mountains of possessions, neither of these guys seem to hit the scoreboard much (both have scored just 13 goals each from 44 games each over 2013-2014).

Are these two blokes just a product of their team's style of play, or the style of play in the WAFL in general (have noticed over recent years that it's a bit of a smaller, less physical, running man's league), or do they actually have some scope to do something at AFL level too?

What's your opinion on someone like West Perth's Aaron Black? I haven't seen him play, but judging by his numbers this year (30.35 disposals per game, 7.15 marks per game, 2.15 tackles per game) and last year (25.36 disposals per game, 6.18 marks per game, 1.73 tackles per game), he seems like he might be a hard-running Dane Swan-type linkman. Is this correct? What are his weaknesses as a player? Too small (listed at 178cm, 77kg)? Too slow? Poor footskills? Just seems like someone putting up those kind of numbers at his age (turns 22 on Christmas Day this year) might have some upside at the next level. Again, purely going by his numbers, haven't actually seem him play.

I notice that Black also has a similar-sized (176cm, 73kg), similar-aged (about six months younger) teammate in Shane Nelson, who is also putting up big numbers (they sit #1 and #2 in disposals in the WAFL). He's ticking along at 31.10 disposals per game, 3.90 marks per game, 3.30 tackles per game this season, after putting up 27.05 disposals per game, 3.14 marks per game, 2.14 tackles per game. What's the go with him?

Have noticed that despite their mountains of possessions, neither of these guys seem to hit the scoreboard much (both have scored just 13 goals each from 44 games each over 2013-2014).

Are these two blokes just a product of their team's style of play, or the style of play in the WAFL in general (have noticed over recent years that it's a bit of a smaller, less physical, running man's league), or do they actually have some scope to do something at AFL level too?

Not sold on Black's versatility but I haven't seen much of West Perth recently. AFL clubs these days don't look so much at numbers but whether you have enough AFL traits. If you play him purely as a rover then sure he could contribute but clubs are looking for more than that these days.

Shane Nelson got 52 possessions the other week for West Perth in the WAFL. Averaging 31. Reckon he will be hating the world if he isn´t even rookied this year, but seems to suffer from Myles Sewell syndrome.

i think he probably is expecting not to be drafted. Its interesting when I hear Buckley talk about transition runners being the 'in thing' and yet this bloke runs all day and hasn't been called out amongst about 300+ names in the last 3 years.

Not sold on Black's versatility but I haven't seen much of West Perth recently. AFL clubs these days don't look so much at numbers but whether you have enough AFL traits. If you play him purely as a rover then sure he could contribute but clubs are looking for more than that these days.

I reckon he has a bit actually. I've seen a fair bit of him (suspect you more) and he has scope to play fwd and mids. He is similar to Dwyer from Pies. He has good skills, penetrating, poised and makes good decisions. I think he has a few things going for him but again he has done well for a couple of years and hasn't been called up so you'd think I am over rating him.

I reckon he has a bit actually. I've seen a fair bit of him (suspect you more) and he has scope to play fwd and mids. He is similar to Dwyer from Pies. He has good skills, penetrating, poised and makes good decisions. I think he has a few things going for him but again he has done well for a couple of years and hasn't been called up so you'd think I am over rating him.

You could be right but the move is towards bigger midfielders. I thought he deserved a chance a few years ago but things have changed since then. I would be surprised if he was picked up but its not out of the realms of possibility. As an outside runner I much prefer Nelson but if WCE can turn Mark Hutchings into a solid AFL player there is no reason Aaron Black can't do the same.

You could be right but the move is towards bigger midfielders. I thought he deserved a chance a few years ago but things have changed since then. I would be surprised if he was picked up but its not out of the realms of possibility. As an outside runner I much prefer Nelson but if WCE can turn Mark Hutchings into a solid AFL player there is no reason Aaron Black can't do the same.

mate what is your view on Ricky Cary and Blaine Boekhorst...I think the latter is inj but not sure how bad ended up being.

mate what is your view on Ricky Cary and Blaine Boekhorst...I think the latter is inj but not sure how bad ended up being.

Blaine Boekhorst is intriguing and probably one I should have included. He's a real smokie to get drafted and has some nice attributes. Ricky Cary is okay, he's just a guy to me, doesn't do enough off the ball. I didn't really rate Rory Lobb either but he went pretty high in the end - so its hard to tell. Clubs could fall in love with what he offers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blaine Boekhorst is intriguing and probably one I should have included. He's a real smokie to get drafted and has some nice attributes. Ricky Cary is okay, he's just a guy to me, doesn't do enough off the ball. I didn't really rate Rory Lobb either but he went pretty high in the end - so its hard to tell. Clubs could fall in love with what he offers.
Should be drafted purely because of that name

I was a massive Lobb fan. The attraction to him was the improvement he had in him given where he'd come from. My view on Cary is I think he might struggle at AFL level but agree on BB

Think I'm finalising a list of mature aged/state league guys who could take the next step.

Would love to get a gauge on them from Snoop Dog, Chris25, ROYAL EAGLE and TheBrownDog for the other states.

Anyways, a list of guys id have on the nose as draft prospects.

Erin Wasley Black (NT Thunder)
Aaron Van Den Berg (Ainslie)
Josh Glenn (Central Districts)
Matthew Panos (Norwood)
Zane Kirkwood (Sturt)
Josh Glenn (Central Districts)
Brett Eddy (South Adelaide)
Sam Baulderstone (Norwood)
Darcey Cameron (Claremont)
Ben Saunders (South Fremantle)
Haiden Schloithe (South Fremantle)
George Hamson (Subiaco)
Ben Cavarra (Frankston)
Josh Tynan (Frankston)
Adam Marcon (Williamstown)
Sam Heavyside (Bendigo)
Adam Saad (Coburg)
Nic Rippon (North Ballarat)
Nic Newman (Frankston)
Shannon Taylor (Frankston)
Dan Connors (Port Melbourne)
Sam Tagliabue (Essendon)
Dan Coghlan (Essendon)

Feel free to add any names or give some insight into a player your interested in.

Zane won the Magarey Medal this year by nine votes (29). Is only 23. Would be a good mature pick up for someone.

Brett Eddy had a good season too, just getting piped in the last round for the leading SANFL goal kicker. Would be a decent 3rd tall option for a club.

Panos is a certainty to get re-drafted after reinventing himself as a midfielder this year. With tall-midfielders being all the rage at the moment he would surely have to be a chance of going in the main draft. Was quite impressive from what I saw of him in the SANFL granny today.

At 191 cm he can compete around the ground in aerial contests similarly to Fyfe, as well as having the ability to use his big frame to win the footy on the inside. Seemed poised with the footy and was a clean user of the ball.

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Melbourne stretching for him in the main draft due to Roos' fetish for tall-midfielders.

Last edited:
Panos is a certainty to get re-drafted after reinventing himself as a midfielder this year. With tall-midfielders being all the rage at the moment he would surely have to be a chance of going in the main draft. Was quite impressive from what I saw of him in the SANFL granny today.

At 191 cm he can compete around the ground in aerial contests similarly to Fyfe, as well as having the ability to use his big frame to win the footy on the inside. Seemed poised with the footy and was a clean user of the ball.

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Melbourne stretching for him in the main draft due to Roos' fetish for tall-midfielders.
I read about him yesterday in AFL website. Thought the same about Roos and big bodied mids. I'm sure we will have a look.

Seeing as [Nathan Krakouer] was delisted 3 years ago, I wouldn't think so. Will have to nominate for any of the drafts.
He is just a beautiful kick of the footy, still has a yard of pace and (even though he's had the odd quiet one) stood up in important moments through the SANFL finals series. Only thing is it's a 2-club market because an article published midyear suggested that family issues would mean that he's staying in Adelaide (and obviously his history would make an interstate club reluctant anyway). Even though in theory the draft is a free market, it might be seen to be 'just not cricket, m'lud' poaching for Adelaide to approach him. So it might actually be a one-club market where Port can take the low-risk path of rookieing him. Adelaide probably aren't wanting for the 'rebounding half-back' sort of role anyway (sometimes it seems that their team is mostly composed of them).

I read about him yesterday in AFL website. Thought the same about Roos and big bodied mids. I'm sure we will have a look.
It's an amazing story. Even hardcore Norwood fans were surprised to see him going into the centre square at the start of the round 1 clash v Port Adelaide. Thought it might have been a shock tactic to throw out the opposition's defensive structures, before he drifted back forward. But from the first bounce, he started winning clearances like he was born to do this; and he kept winning them all year.

Weirdly, on Thursday night team selections Norwood kept naming him in the forward lines for the first half of the year, even though he wasn't playing there. They finally dropped the pretence in about July.

No idea whose brainchild it was when (whoever it was should take a bow), but presumably necessity was the mother of invention. With the retirement of Brett Zorzi, Mat Suckling going back to Victoria, the transfer of Matt Thomas to Richmond, losing Mitch Grigg to the Crows 2s and the drafting of James Aish, Norwood came into 2014 very skinny on midfielders compared with the riches of 2013; and the club had enough marking forwards with Brady Dawe, Liam Davis and Juice Newton.

Any Mature Aged Recruits worth keeping an eye out for in 2014 ?

With less than a fortnight out from the draft, VFL expert Paul Amy has narrowed down 24 more than likely AFL draft hopefuls into a list here.

Some obvious, some not so obvious but each has there own story and is not being spoken about for no reason.
WHO will be the next Ben Brown or Sam Lloyd?

Last year North Melbourne plucked a 21-year-old curly-haired forward from Werribee with their final selection in the national draft.

He went on to play 11 games, boot 18 goals and become not just a cult figure but a key to the Roos’ finals hopes.

Meanwhile, Richmond gave Sam Lloyd a chance after the goalsneak spent the 2013 season at Frankston having previously played for Deniliquin and Mount Eliza.

This year there is no shortage of players who want to follow in the footsteps of that pair — and previous VFL success stories including Michael Barlow and James Podsiadly.

Who could get their name read out on November 27? Leader VFL expert Paul Amy rates the contenders.

The list contains footage and a small bio of;

Jye Bolton (Werribee)
Ben Cavarra (Frankston)
Dan Coghlan (VFL Bombers)
Dan Connors (Port Melbourne)
Tom Gribble (Werribee)
Michael Hartley (Coburg)
Jack Johnston (Williamstown)
Kane Lambert (Williamstown formerly Northern Blues)
Elliot Le Grice (Sandrginham)
Adam Marcon (Williamstown)
Damian Mascitti (Port Melbourne)
Ed Morris (Casey Scorpions)
Nic Newman (Frankston)
Kenny Ong (Sandringham)
Jake Owen (Williamstown)
Tom O'Sullivan (Port Melbourne)
Bruce Rutherford (Casey)
Adam Saad (Coburg)
Sam Tagliabue (VFL Bombers)
Shannon Taylor (Frankston)
Josh Tynan (Frankston)
Ozgur Uysal (Coburg)
Jake Williams (VFL Magpies)
Brandon Wood (Frankston formerly Box Hill)

I hope Panos gets a second chance, he might have made it if the Footscray team was around to develop him properly as a forward and not the rubbish he went through at Williamstown being a jack of all trades utility type playing down back and as a 2nd ruck. Good to see him creating a new identity as a big bodied mid, imo Collingwood and WCE need a few of them.

I hope Panos gets a second chance, he might have made it if the Footscray team was around to develop him properly as a forward and not the rubbish he went through at Williamstown being a jack of all trades utility type playing down back and as a 2nd ruck. Good to see him creating a new identity as a big bodied mid, imo Collingwood and WCE need a few of them.
I hear Melbourne are interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back