Southern FL Div One 2015

Who will win the SFL Div 1 Flag in 2015

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see if Dean Williamson sticks around next year, has been offered a stack of $$$ and captaincy to return to Seaford in 2015.

Wouldn't he go back to Chelsea Heights if he made a return?

Has lots of good mates at St Pauls and was close to coming to us before signing with Chelsea Heights (his boss was CH at the time and that helped make his decision)

Wouldn't be surprised if we make a play to get McGarry back across also as him, ambrose, allan etc all good mates.

Edit: Heard McGarry has committed to BFC for 2015.

Last edited:
Nice publicity and Sheridan from the Board well done.. Lets hope CPL don't see it or they will be very displeased that the league spent money on an educational opportunity ( WELL DONE SFL) as opposed to paying police to be present at the 3rd div GF. Not that it should have made too much difference but that is not the way CPL see it..

Coaches for SFL Div 1 2015
DINGLEY: Shane Morwood
BENTLEIGH: Paul Dimattina
ST PAULS: Mark Dessentt
EAST MALVERN: Justin Cowell
MORDIALLOC: Sam Anstey
EAST BRIGHTON: Ben Murphy
ST KILDA CITY: Alan Loyd
CHELTENHAM: Andrew Butterfield
CLAYTON:
CHELSEA HEIGHTS:
Any news on a coach for Clayton & Chelsea Heights? Would need to get move on considering both clubs need to recruit. Did hear Aaron Davey has been sniffing around at Clayton re coaching in 2015.

What are everyones thoughts on this
Player Payments Working Party presents update at Leagues Conference
The Working Party established by AFL Victoria to examine the escalating costs of player payments at community level has today provided an update to Metropolitan Community League CEOs and Country Region General Managers (RGMs).
The Working Party presented the update at the 2014 AFL Victoria Community Leagues Conference in Healesville and requested League CEOs and RGMs consider a proposed framework addressing the issue.
The suggested framework which is still in the development stage includes three major elements:
  • A state-wide salary cap – with specific limits for individual leagues
  • Equalisation provision(s) – to support implementation of a salary cap
  • An appropriate enforcement policy
http://www.aflvic.com.au/player-payments-update-leagues-conference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Optimistic, look at the VAFA where no-one gets paid.

hmm...

VAFA Club official to prospective recruit: "We cant pay you any money, but he's a $36,000 Toyota Hi-Ace van & $10,000 worth of electrical equipment if you stay with us for 2 or 3 years, because unfortunately we're not allowed to pay you"

Lucky no one gets paid in the VAFA ;)

hmm...

VAFA Club official to prospective recruit: "We cant pay you any money, but he's a $36,000 Toyota Hi-Ace van & $10,000 worth of electrical equipment if you stay with us for 2 or 3 years, because unfortunately we're not allowed to pay you"

Lucky no one gets paid in the VAFA ;)

We cant pay you directly, but we can pay your girlfriend $400 an hour to work in the canteen

The Amateur status is only such if no "inducement" is provided to participate. Sounds looks and smells as though plenty of "inducements" are offered in all comps including our lily white friends.. Work contracts that pay over the odds, accommodation etc etc are all ways that have prized players from paying leagues to Amateur leagues

We cant pay you directly, but we can pay your girlfriend $400 an hour to work in the canteen

Give it a spell you blokes. If you reckon ammo clubs have this sort of coin lying around you are seriously delusional. Ammo clubs get raped by paying leagues every year. Even Old Xavs who are the most successful and well-resourced club in the VAFA have just waived good-bye to 3 superstars who are off to the EFL. Do you reckon they would just let blokes of this quality walk out the door if they had the capacity to do what you are suggesting?

A handful of blokes get found employment but the other stuff is myth peddled by those who don’t know any better.

Give it a spell you blokes. If you reckon ammo clubs have this sort of coin lying around you are seriously delusional. Ammo clubs get raped by paying leagues every year. Even Old Xavs who are the most successful and well-resourced club in the VAFA have just waived good-bye to 3 superstars who are off to the EFL. Do you reckon they would just let blokes of this quality walk out the door if they had the capacity to do what you are suggesting?

A handful of blokes get found employment but the other stuff is myth peddled by those who don’t know any better.
It's half true. Generally, the inducements aren't offered by the club, but wealthy benefactors. I know of plenty of tradespersons who have got tools, vehicles etc. It's pretty easy to spot them, they're the ones who would have looked ridiculously out of place had they actually gone to school at Xavs. The problem is that they can't offer long term inducements, like payments. Tradies only need one set of tools and ute.

Yeah what Saint said ^^^

Its not coin thats offered Billy but "gifts of some value" from corporate sponsors and it probably doesn't happen in the lower grades. The example I used is exactly that, just an example and I know it happening at then B Grade club & C grade club a few years ago. Hell a controversial ex VAFA A grade coach playing at Old Scotch at the time was rumoured to be getting his hefty legal bill covered by the club in return for him play for a year

Also Goss is rumoured to be going from Old Xavs to Balwyn for $1500 a game, thats enough money to outbid any resourceful VAFA club who offer gifts or corporate jobs, that's why he's probably leaving. Maybe step out of the bubble that you live in

Yeah what Saint said ^^^

Its not coin thats offered Billy but "gifts of some value" from corporate sponsors and it probably doesn't happen in the lower grades. The example I used is exactly that, just an example and I know it happening at then B Grade club & C grade club a few years ago. Hell a controversial ex VAFA A grade coach playing at Old Scotch at the time was rumoured to be getting his hefty legal bill covered by the club in return for him play for a year

Also Goss is rumoured to be going from Old Xavs to Balwyn for $1500 a game, thats enough money to outbid any resourceful VAFA club who offer gifts or corporate jobs, that's why he's probably leaving. Maybe step out of the bubble that you live in

Doesn’t happen in the higher grades either

2s Hack I don’t live in bubble and have been involved in several clubs from both suburban and ammo comps over many years. As such I reckon I have a good balanced view on what goes on. I have also followed previous comment on this topic and really don’t have the desire to open the debate all over again other than to suggest that if this is your perception of what goes on in the VAFA then you are miles off the mark.

Your comment about the Scotch player says it all “rumoured to be ....” Lots of rumour but very little substance.

I've been directly and indirectly involved in a very successful A grade club for over 20 years (Collegians), and never has a single payment been made. It's all about the network. We help get guys jobs because of an expansive Old Boys network helped by close school ties (Wesley College), but they have to actually be able to do the job, or they get sacked, as has happened in the past, and will happen in the future. We can open up the doors for people, but we can't promise them anything as they have to do the work to get paid.

The fact is that we don't want guys to come in for a year, then move on elsewhere, and that's what you constantly get in the paying leagues. There is no loyalty. You get loyalty in the VAFA because guys aren't playing for the coin. I can't think of any guys in my time to have played for one year and moved on. You just get guys playing there because they want to, not because they get paid to.

Now lets turn back to SFL talk thanks.

Agree with Saint and 2's hack its not coin they get its other inducements ie: school scholarships for their kids, which is worth thousands if the average jo blo wanted to send their kids there. A former 1st Div SFL gun forward offered a contract on a building worth mega bucks to play with an Ammo club, if they had gone to tender then the footballer would not have got the contract. If that is not an inducement what is?? And the story told by a player leaving an sfl club that he had been offered more wompa at the new club - the player started the new year with an Amateur club... I know that no one has ever been able to prove this although a couple have gone very close, it will happen one day. Agreed that probably 90% of Ammo clubs haven't got the money to go outside the rules but there are a few that do....

No-one is talking about currency changing hands Penski

Sheesh if I was good enough I'd play for Old Haileybury or whoever if they were going to put my kid through school saving me $22K per year. Agree its all about network. But good on them.

Yes enough talk about the ammos.....

No-one is talking about currency changing hands Penski

Sheesh if I was good enough I'd play for Old Haileybury or whoever if they were going to put my kid through school saving me $22K per year. Agree its all about network. But good on them.

Yes enough talk about the ammos.....
Why do think Stewy Lowe ended up at Old Haileybury? 2 kids scholarships was a fair inducement. Why wouldn't you?

As far as introducing a salary cap is concerned across all Victoria what a joke! Can not be policed and is unworkable. Easy to see that those working at AFL VIC have never tried to run a local or country footy club. Good idea in theory but so is a one legged man entering an arse kicking competition!

Back