Remove this Banner Ad

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros

A few weeks ago I got a $185 fine and 1 demerit point for doing 108 on Eastlink. Farrrrrk off campaigner. That's more than I earn in a day. May as well have not gone to work

You could of killed someone whinging campaigner.

Follow the rules, go pay your fine and get back to work. Simple.

It has indeed been a horror month and weekend . :( I don't say "accidents" much any more re road trauma . It is more smashes, crashes etc . You can see incredibly stupid things done by drivers on the road

They need to back off on the petty s**t and crack down on what is actually negligent/dangerous.

108 km/h on a multi-lane 100 km/h freeway? A warning or a $50 fine would do.

Weaving in and out of traffic, cutting across unbroken traffic lines, merging well above or below the speed of moving traffic - where are the fines in the post for doing this?

On one hand I agree, follow the road rules and it wont be an issue

On the other hand, some speed limits are ****ed

In my sububr there is a grid of main roads that have been 70 since I was old enough to read, and this year they changed all of these speeds to 60. I dont know why, I dont think any of the roads were 'black spots' or whether the community was so at risk

Driving down these roads at 60 is a massive pita, they are built for 70 roads, double lane nice and roomy and very long and straight. I consider this as revenue raising, theyve purely lowered them to 60 because they know they'll be catching plenty of fish who are used to doing 70 their entire lives on these roads and its such an 'uncomfortable' speed to be going on such good roads

So yes, pay your fines, but vicroads or whoever decides the speeds, gives us a break would you and let us drive at an appropriate speed

Yes, speed limits need to be regularly revised.
The way to protest them though is not to break them and then whinge about fines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100 is the speed LIMIT. Not a rough number of what you should be driving. If you cant keep under it, then you deserve whatever you get. Suck s**t. Man up, pay the fine, learn your lesson and move on.

On one hand I agree, follow the road rules and it wont be an issue

On the other hand, some speed limits are ******

In my sububr there is a grid of main roads that have been 70 since I was old enough to read, and this year they changed all of these speeds to 60. I dont know why, I dont think any of the roads were 'black spots' or whether the community was so at risk

Driving down these roads at 60 is a massive pita, they are built for 70 roads, double lane nice and roomy and very long and straight. I consider this as revenue raising, theyve purely lowered them to 60 because they know they'll be catching plenty of fish who are used to doing 70 their entire lives on these roads and its such an 'uncomfortable' speed to be going on such good roads

So yes, pay your fines, but vicroads or whoever decides the speeds, gives us a break would you and let us drive at an appropriate speed

I hate it too, apparently there was a state-wide 'crackdown' by Vicroads to lower many 90km/h zones to 80 km/h, and many 70km/h zones to 60km/h, to "reduce confusion for drivers" :rolleyes:

So now in Geelong there is the farcical situation where we have a double-lane, split road arterial highway in the Bellarine Highway that laughably operates at 80 km/h each way when it is capable of having cars drive 100km/h on it quite easily. But of course the relevant parties would rather lower the limit then actually fix the roads if a pothole were to appear.

I don't condone speeding, but I do dislike the manner in which limits are decided. Frankly, it's the slow drivers on the roads that cause more accidents than the drivers who do 10 km/h over

I don't think it's fair just to put it down to 'driver whinging'

it's about the fine/punishment being proportionate to the offence committed...

I've copped a $297 fine for riding my bicycle through a pedestrian red light (i.e, not an intersection) after I had stopped and there were no more people crossing , while an old housemate copped a $500 fine for being 30km/h over the limit in her car (110 in an 80 - she also lost her license... for one month... and she drove anyway :rolleyes: )

Apparently, the 30 km/h speeding wasn't quite double the offence of danger that I committed on my bicycle..

I'm sure there are other examples...

Also, $185 fine for say Stratton_Gun , who by his own admission, wouldn't make that back in his day's work, is a considerably harsher penalty than for someone on $500k+ a year --

I don't drive a car myself these days so speed limits don't tend to affect me that much, but I reckon I could point out a myriad of cars driving dangerously and stupidly around my area that won't neccesarily be picked up on because they aren't 'speeding' -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back