New Zealand v South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed watching most of this match this morning. Very good game of ODI cricket.

Philander bowled beautifully early - as he always does to guys who are willing to let him dictate terms. Australia and Sri Lanka have shown the way to succeed against him is to go after him (which is easier said than done, but a proven means of blunting his influence). New Zealnd really need the stabilising influence of Williamson batting at three to get the best out of their more aggressive types like McCullum. Sensational counter attack by Ronchi who showed again what a talented batsman he is - have loved watching him improve over the course of his international career. Some fairly brainless bowling to Boult in that last partnership, quite amazing that he managed to survive as long as he did when he's backing away a mile closing his eyes and swinging for the fences. Just bowl at the stumps!

Boult did bowl very nicely though, putting them on the back foot early. I can't say I am a huge fan of Mills, hopefully Southee will be back before long. Vettori didn't look to have much influence, I would seriously consider retaining McCullum as the spinner for the World Cup if Jeetan Patel's days as a blackcap are done. AB getting the South African's home with his usual classy knock.

Had to turn over winnings from a free bet at odds of over $1.50 or more and SA at $1.51 v a NZ team without Southee, Williamson or Taylor were too good to pass up. Thanks SA, although I was a bit nervous there after Amla went out. AB is the world's best batsman and it's not close. Ronchi was impressive. Can't believe SA couldn't work out that bowling one full at the stumps to Boult was the go. I really like Trent Boult as a bowler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kiwi's have a fair bit of improvement to come once they rebalance their side and get some players back, that's a decent performance against South Africa's full strength side (other than maybe Rossouw).

Probably can only afford to play one of Vettori and McCullum. Would go:

Guptill
Ryder (if only)/Neesham
Williamson
Taylor
BMac
Anderson
Ronchi
NMac
Southee
Boult
McClenaghan

Kiwi's have a fair bit of improvement to come once they rebalance their side and get some players back, that's a decent performance against South Africa's full strength side (other than maybe Rossouw).

Would Ryan Mclaren be first XI for SA?

Miller is the better batsman IMO. Having Mclaren at 7 seems a longish tail (ODI average of 19). Luckily they do have such a strong top order.

What about making do with Duminy playing the 5th bowler?

Edit: Philander is a decent bat - he averages 27 test cricket

Last edited:
What about making do with Duminy playing the 5th bowler?

Edit: Philander is a decent bat - he averages 27 test cricket

Duminy is good enough to be the 5th bowler, but they won't rely on Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Tahir & Duminy to bowl 10 each and have a good day everyday. Miller doesn't bowl, he's a pure batsman, but if Dean Elgar can get some form together then perhaps he could be the allrounder/6th bowler?

De Kock
Amla
DeVilliers
Du Plessis
Miller
Duminy
Rossouw (wk)/Mclaren/Elgar
Philander
Steyn
Tahir
Morkel

If they have faith in 5 bowlers then Rossouw could play as a keeper down at no. 7?

Duminy is good enough to be the 5th bowler, but they won't rely on Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Tahir & Duminy to bowl 10 each and have a good day everyday. Miller doesn't bowl, he's a pure batsman, but if Dean Elgar can get some form together then perhaps he could be the allrounder/6th bowler?

De Kock
Amla
DeVilliers
Du Plessis
Miller
Duminy
Rossouw (wk)/Mclaren/Elgar
Philander
Steyn
Tahir
Morkel

If they have faith in 5 bowlers then Rossouw could play as a keeper down at no. 7?

Why do they need Rossouw as a keeper when they have De Kock and De Villiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back