RDFL Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the size of him he should dominate but never seems to tear back lines apart

I got feno to sunbury when I was coaching there and he did ok but didnt set the world on fire. However he was not fit and didnt train very often. Since hes been at centrals he has been fantastic. He looks superfit and obviously attended training regularly because the times I watched him play his pace has returned and he is a great kick at goal.
In a good side if he is fit he will be extremely dangerous.......... and the kangas beer sales will be thru the roof . lol
Ill back the big fella 2 have a huge season!!!!

I got feno to sunbury when I was coaching there and he did ok but didnt set the world on fire. However he was not fit and didnt train very often. Since hes been at centrals he has been fantastic. He looks superfit and obviously attended training regularly because the times I watched him play his pace has returned and he is a great kick at goal.
In a good side if he is fit he will be extremely dangerous.......... and the kangas beer sales will be thru the roof . lol
Ill back the big fella 2 have a huge season!!!!
Well said Mongrel, not sure who Centralian is but they are a long way off the mark! While there is no doubt Feno is in the twilight of his career, he's not too old or too slow and would be a great addition to any forward line.
Our football department discovered late in the season that there was a possibility we could lose 2 of our most important players to Sunbury and obviously tried our best to retain both of them. Feno decided Sunbury was the best fit for him and as a mate I wish him all the best and will be the first person to have a drink with him after Centrals v Sunbury!

Mate let's see top five clubs will be there again so let's play for sixth spot
The problem is mate that the people who count are not listening
And I believe it's beyond there fixing
We all look good now it's history has repeated far too often
The rdfl metro/ country exercise has issues
Any way let's see how's the swimming going
The 5 have worked hard to get where they are. The rdfl is thriving - why make big changes - changes that may or may not work.

Kenny is a huge get. Arguably a better forward than Chris Meachem and as long as he gets reasonable delivery will absolutely dominate.

Who has he most successful juniors out of the rdfl senior sides?

I've only dicked around the RDFL the past 5-6 years but Rupo for me do it well (and so they should), Kilmore believe it or not have a fair junior program and like Rupo compete in the A division with the stronger Major league clubs juniors like Gisborne, Melton, Melton South, Sunbury Lions. Think Woodend competed in top tier this season too, but let's be hoest this whole "everyone gets a trophy era" is stuffing promising kids heads when things dont pan out like mum and dad expect ;)

Kenny is a huge get. Arguably a better forward than Chris Meachem and as long as he gets reasonable delivery will absolutely dominate.
What's it got to do with me mate? You know I gave it away in 2012 and I am now a "old man" I also agree that he will dominate if they can win the ball.

Last edited:
What's it got to do with me mate? You know I gave it away in 2012 and I am now a "old man" I also agree that he will dominate if they can win the ball.
Well I would say that you (if you are Meach) are considered the best forward to have played in the RDFL, and I was making the comparison that Kenny is at a similar if not higher level as yourself and expect him to have a huge impact at Macedon.

Well I would say that you (if you are Meach) are considered the best forward to have played in the RDFL, and I was making the comparison that Kenny is at a similar if not higher level as yourself and expect him to have a huge impact at Macedon.
I am Meach, and I can honestly say there have been many better forwards than myself playing/played in this league. Kenny will dominate if he can get the delivery but to be honest if he underestimates the league like many before him it may be a different story. Cheers for the comparison though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am Meach, and I can honestly say there have been many better forwards than myself playing/played in this league. Kenny will dominate if he can get the delivery but to be honest if he underestimates the league like many before him it may be a different story. Cheers for the comparison though.

None better at sunbury or macedon tho meach!!!!!

I know we have spoken about it before, but what are people's thoughts on a top 5 rather than a top 6??

The push for a top 5 continues, but in our current structure, I just don't understand the push, surely it is detrimental to our finals series? I understand the issues with "3rd" place, but we are still yet to see any real advantage for the side finishing 3rd in our competition. In fact, 3rd place has only won a Grand Final on 1 or 2 occasions (where did the Kangas finish Sunba? I just can't recall) Woodend definitely won it from 3rd. And 3rd has only made the Grand Final on 3 or 4 occasions. I am still yet to be convinced that a top 5 system in a competition with a bye especially isn't fundamentally flawed, no more so than our current system. I would much prefer the league ran a top 8, this system and the top 4 are the only systems not carrying a fundamental flaw.

I know we have spoken about it before, but what are people's thoughts on a top 5 rather than a top 6??

The push for a top 5 continues, but in our current structure, I just don't understand the push, surely it is detrimental to our finals series? I understand the issues with "3rd" place, but we are still yet to see any real advantage for the side finishing 3rd in our competition. In fact, 3rd place has only won a Grand Final on 1 or 2 occasions (where did the Kangas finish Sunba? I just can't recall) Woodend definitely won it from 3rd. And 3rd has only made the Grand Final on 3 or 4 occasions. I am still yet to be convinced that a top 5 system in a competition with a bye especially isn't fundamentally flawed, no more so than our current system. I would much prefer the league ran a top 8, this system and the top 4 are the only systems not carrying a fundamental flaw.

Pretty sure we finished 2nd, played diggers at Kilmore first final.

Top five is the way to go, IMO.

The third place rule is a sham and even though it hasn't yet been heavily exposed, it will be in years where there isn't much between the top sides. Makes no difference when you have a powerhouse like Romsey.

The revenue from having an extra final is offset by the fact the crowd has to be split one day. Perhaps if there was a Sat arvo, Sat night and Sunday game then it might work.

The top five is proven to be the fairest system and gives the minor premier all the advantages, which it should. The AFL's top eight system is good, but wouldn't work in the RDFL.

Top six can work if the league are prepared to drop one finals gate the first weekend? Oh hang on, that would mean one less lot of arvo tea's, one less silly "tender" fee to host a final .... oh stop right there Doon ha ha!!!

I'm pretty sure with league fee's gathered in from all senior and junior affiliates one less final is stuff all. If I was in a position of importance I'd be lobbying something like that amongst the clubs. Afterall they're the shareholders and their opinions SHOULD matter ;)

• 1st/2nd rewarded with week one off before a second semi final.
  • 3v6 and 4v5 play week one to work our 1st semi final participants.
  • No tenders for clubs wanting to host, surely roughly $25k is more than enough. In other comps the actual league pays the host club a couple of bucks to ensure its VOLUNTEERS have the joint looking nice.

Again, neither of those arguments remove the fundamental flaw Doon and Matty, a week off in the first week keeps in play the issue of excessive byes leading into finals. If a side that finishes top two has a bye in Round 17 or 18, then a week off in the first week and win in week 2, they have another bye before heading into a GF. That would be 3 games in 6 weeks, wouldn't have thought that's an ideal way to head into the biggest game of the year.

The league has made it quite clear that they will be directed by the clubs Doona, the tender income means squat in the finals make up now (it might have done previously), I just still can't see how a best case scenario of 2 weeks off in 4 for a side leads to a good result.

Matty, why would a top 8 not work in the RDFNL? Is there any particular reason?

According to Twitter - Broadford will stay in the RDFL in 2015

I read a statement on their website and facebook on the weekend. Hope now they can have some stability and who knows maybe even the junior arm of the club may roll across. Have always wished for the day that both clubs became aligned. Notice for AGM and coaching positions has been broadcast so now they can hold their AGM and hook in ..... I wish them well

Again, neither of those arguments remove the fundamental flaw Doon and Matty, a week off in the first week keeps in play the issue of excessive byes leading into finals. If a side that finishes top two has a bye in Round 17 or 18, then a week off in the first week and win in week 2, they have another bye before heading into a GF. That would be 3 games in 6 weeks, wouldn't have thought that's an ideal way to head into the biggest game of the year.

The league has made it quite clear that they will be directed by the clubs Doona, the tender income means squat in the finals make up now (it might have done previously), I just still can't see how a best case scenario of 2 weeks off in 4 for a side leads to a good result.

Matty, why would a top 8 not work in the RDFNL? Is there any particular reason?
If the RDFL wanted to avoid the top side having a bye in the final couple of rounds it has options - give the final byes to the bottom two sides of the previous year and maintain that consistency - ie you know what you are gettting into if you go from last to first.

I don't think the RDFL is suited to a top eight finals system because the first week of the finals would mean four matches and split gates and stretching resources if clubs hosting games have sides committed elsewhere. Also, do we really want to reward another two mediocre sides? Playing finals is a right you earn, not from being less worse than a few clubs.

I like the top five system, always will. History says it's well balanced to the minor premier, which it should be, so it puts more emphasis on home and away matches, which creates more narrative for clubs. The top six system which Doona suggested is an option, as it rewards first and second more than it does third.

EDIT - The AFL top eight system also works well because there is home ground/state advantage. If the RDFL introduced home finals (and perhaps a neutral GF venue) then the Doona version of the top six would have my backing.

Top 8 is ridiculous. Rewarding sides that finish in the bottom 50% of the ladder is silly. Top 6 way to go with 1 & 2 having a week off week 1. Current top 6 system does reward 3rd so get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back