Have we raised the white flag when it comes to Port Power?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC doesn't though. There is another team. Do the Eagles represent all of WA football history?

The AFC est 1990 have just as much of a connection to SA football as Port Power est 1996 has to the PAFC. See I just say it and poooof, like magic, it becomes fact.

As someone who also has, I'd like to know what you drew from your experience that somehow correlates to a game between the Crows and GWS at 12.10pm on Sunday Apr 28 on any given year?

Mate, if you cant see the connection nothing I say will change your mind.

The AFC est 1990 have just as much of a connection to SA football as Port Power est 1996 has to the PAFC. See I just say it and poooof, like magic, it becomes fact.
Didn't say you didn't have a connection, said you didn't represent all of SA. And I agree with your earlier post, ANZAC day is a special day. My family member was a rat of tobruk, anyone who dismisses the day or weekend of respect is a moron.

Didn't say you didn't have a connection, said you didn't represent all of SA. And I agree with your earlier post, ANZAC day is a special day. My family member was a rat of tobruk, anyone who dismisses the day or weekend of respect is a moron.

We agree on something then. He must have some amazing stories?

Mate, if you cant see the connection nothing I say will change your mind.
Because quite simply there isn't one and the hyperbole that surrounds the idea of this round, and the ANZACS borders on the offensive at times.

This game should be left at that. 1 game on the day if it must happen, but the fact it has been hijacked by 2 clubs every year except when it suits the AFL to cash in on it liken a commercial opportunity id appalling. And the rest of the round is nonsensical.

there had been hundreds, maybe thousands of games of aussie rules football that had been played all over the country before a coalition of Australian and New Zealand troops invaded another sovereign country in 1914...

ANZAC Round, as the AFL sees it, is a crass cash grab and perpetuates jingoisitic nonesense

I've got a lighthorse sabre from the charge, family heirloom. And I still say the round, not the day, is a joke.
So when you went to these sacred places did you actually get off the bus or were you too busy "facebooking"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's passed away now, but kept a bullet in his cupboard I remember as a kid from when he was wounded.

Wow. So he would have been fighting Rommels Germans? Did he tell you many stories? I once met an Englishman who was part of the d-day landings. Fascinating guy.

there had been hundreds, maybe thousands of games of aussie rules football that had been played all over the country before a coalition of Australian and New Zealand troops invaded another sovereign country in 1914...

ANZAC Round, as the AFL sees it, is a crass cash grab and perpetuates jingoisitic nonesense
Not to mention the 'round' was only recently dreamt up in the last few years.

"invaded"

Because quite simply there isn't one and the hyperbole that surrounds the idea of this round, and the ANZACS borders on the offensive at times.

This game should be left at that. 1 game on the day if it must happen, but the fact it has been hijacked by 2 clubs every year except when it suits the AFL to cash in on it liken a commercial opportunity id appalling. And the rest of the round is nonsensical.
Well said.

I'm incensed at how Port have, on the one hand gone out of their way to become the friends of the ANZACS, yet on the other, in their desperation to reap commercial benefit from the day, have ruined the day for the very people they purport to honour.

The Adelaide tradition of the march followed by SANFL football at AO which the diggers can attend has been hijacked by Ports insistence on gaining an ANZAC day AFL game.

I don't care if only 10,000 go to the SANFL game. A significant number of diggers go as part of THEIR day. But it's not THEIR day in 2015, it's Port's day. Oh sure they will get their 50,000 and they will "honour" the ANZACS, great for Port - shite for the Diggers. There can be no greater example of the commercial hijacking of ANZAC day than this.

I don't mind K Cornes but I was appalled at his arrogant dismissal of this issue, saying well too bad someone has to miss out so we can have a blockbuster game at AO - even if those missing out are the very people the day is set aside for.

:thumbsdown:

We have started the ball rolling. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey.

If this was October 2013 still we would be basking in the mediocrity that we were still just a kick from a grand final in 2012, regardless of how bad 2013 was on reflection.

Heh.. Don't think you could have made me feel any older with such a simple sentence...
There are adults who don't remember the flags..... scary

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also.. f*ck ANZAC day Round and any attachment that day has to AFL football...

I can only imagine how good it must feel! I wouldn't be seen at home for days, weeks even.

Anzac Day 2015 is a complete farce... Geez
Port Adelaide had
32 Players and Club officials in WW1 .. 3 were killed
36 Players and Club Officials in WW2 .... 6 were killed
1 Player killed in Vietnam
You can see their names here ... http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-04-24/port-adelaide-servicemen-in-war
This is why Port Adelaide supports ANZAC Day
Sorry, but I'd rather go to an RSL, or a memorial and learn about the wars and their living conditions rather than selfishly go to a football game for my own entertainment.

ps. Port Adelaide was still active during the wars. That I feel should disqualify them from ANZAC Day. It's part of the reason I HATE Collingwood being in the ANZAC Day game. Especially considering the 4 clubs in the VFL in 1916 (Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond and Fitzroy) kept abuot 80% of the donations for themselves (Carlton kept 100% the bastards) despite it being gathered for the war effort.

I don't dismiss the day, I have respect for it. My family has a military history. Dad and mum in the air force, uncle went to Iraq in the army having also served in the air force. Great uncle went to Vietnam in the Air Force having also served in the navy. Grandad was in the army during the Korean War. And so much more (Dad collects all the medals of the family and I have enough that I could go from breast to knee in medals........And im 6'6'' so that's a greater area than most being covered"

But I feel the day is more sacred than Good Friday. I think it's a farce that the one day that should be focused on Australia's history and their sacrifices has clubs in all levels of football, from Port Adelaide and Fremantle in the AFL, to Henley in the SAAFL fighting for ANZAC Day, I believe it's disrespectful.

Well said.

I'm incensed at how Port have, on the one hand gone out of their way to become the friends of the ANZACS, yet on the other, in their desperation to reap commercial benefit from the day, have ruined the day for the very people they purport to honour.

The Adelaide tradition of the march followed by SANFL football at AO which the diggers can attend has been hijacked by Ports insistence on gaining an ANZAC day AFL game.

I don't care if only 10,000 go to the SANFL game. A significant number of diggers go as part of THEIR day. But it's not THEIR day in 2015, it's Port's day. Oh sure they will get their 50,000 and they will "honour" the ANZACS, great for Port - shite for the Diggers. There can be no greater example of the commercial hijacking of ANZAC day than this.

I don't mind K Cornes but I was appalled at his arrogant dismissal of this issue, saying well too bad someone has to miss out so we can have a blockbuster game at AO - even if those missing out are the very people the day is set aside for.

:thumbsdown:
Exactly what I thought about 7 hours ago. Took 4-5 hours for it to hit though after I saw the fixture.
Couldn't agree more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back