List Mgmt. Welcome Tom Lamb Pick 32 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally much happier with Lamb than Menadue. We've tried the "he'll fill out" with Sheppard, I think it's a bigger risk than many think.

Also interesting that many were eager to go with Cockatoo based largely on a single (albeit impressive) game... if Lamb had gotten injured and had only played that one 6 goal game I wonder if he'd have been taken higher.

Don't know why there is tears for Blakely. Anybody condoning the Duggan pick isn't allowed to winge about Blakely, because we would have to be quite stupid to be picking 2 slow mids to go with Waterman.

Now if Laverde was picked first then Blakely would be fine.

Lamb is a good choice after the old safe bet Duggan. The more i think about it the more i think Lamb has saved this draft for us. Would have been happy with Menadue, probably happier actually. But because we have Duggan now, i'm stoked the club grew a pair and decided to take a risk with Lamb and branch out to a different type of player.

Last edited:
More then Happy with Duggan at 11 and also happy with Lamb here but I had my eyes set on menadue but there's a lot more tony notte about menadue so I can't complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't read up much on lamb as he wasn't really in the frame for our pick and tbh what snippets I did read left the impression of a talented but flawed player with some attitude/off field questions. As a result I'm not sure about this pick other than to say if we were going to take a risk doing so with pick 32 makes more sense than 11

Hopefully we're polishing a rough diamond and not a turd

I didn't read up much on lamb as he wasn't really in the frame for our pick and tbh what snippets I did read left the impression of a talented but flawed player with some attitude/off field questions. As a result I'm not sure about this pick other than to say if we were going to take a risk doing so with pick 32 makes more sense than 11

I wouldn't be happy with it if we'd have picked up Weller or Laverde i don't think.

But it seems like such a necessity after Duggan, that i think it fits in perfectly. Has a lot to work on, but i like the fact he brings new things to the team.

I wouldn't be happy with it if we'd have picked up Weller or Laverde i don't think.

But it seems like such a necessity after Duggan, that i think it fits in perfectly. Has a lot to work on, but i like the fact he brings new things to the team.
We're back in that twilight zone where we agree with each other

I think his attitude problems are more to do with his perfectionism traits rather than work ethic problems. His problem is confidence and its all between the ears in closing the gap between the best and his worst.

Simpson is a great educator so hopefully he spends some time with Lamb to simplify things and get the best out of him.

Lamb has the potential to be our big bodied midfielder! Taller than Darling, but much more agile and better below the knees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, from here (@2:00):

Says he's a Bombers fan but wouldn't mind going to the Saints.

Watch from 40 secs in.... "I trained with st kilda at the start of the year i barrack for St Kilda, my whole family barracks for St Kilda, i'd love to go there"

He's a big fat phony (familyguyphony.jpg)

But why would he say that he's a Bombers supporter in that interview then? Do we have a conspiracy on our hands?

Perhaps he really is a Bombers supporter but changed his tune a bit after realising that there was a chance he could actually get drafted there in 2014.

Not that clubs would take that kind of thing into account but then again, you never know with James Hird. For all we know the main quality that he looks for in potential draftees is hating Hawthorn.

Are there two Tom Lambs around or something?

Would love it if he could help out JK and Darling up forward, but after seeing his highlights for the first time today, he seems to struggle in contested situations, he often has to juggle the ball before marking it or fumbles it. Descriptions of him say that he's simply not a KPF, but I'm hoping he can improve this aspect of his game somehow, so that we have an extra player who can play as a KPF when needed.

Last edited:

Watch from 40 secs in.... "I trained with st kilda at the start of the year i barrack for St Kilda, my whole family barracks for St Kilda, i'd love to go there"

He's a big fat phony (familyguyphony.jpg)

His pop is a Saints premiership player.

While his favorite team WAS Essendon ;) now us he is entitled to barrack for the Saints as well.
No rule on barracking for more than 1 club under these circumstances

I think his attitude problems are more to do with his perfectionism traits rather than work ethic problems. His problem is confidence and its all between the ears in closing the gap between the best and his worst.

Simpson is a great educator so hopefully he spends some time with Lamb to simplify things and get the best out of him.

I've heard of this alleged attitude problem but was surprised when in his interview he came across as a well-spoken and nice enough kid.

Mind you how much can you tell from a 3 minute interview.

Blakely was always unlikely. We've added Sheed and Waterman in the last two drafts. Another "slower" mid wasn't what was needed. Looking at reviews of Lamb it does look like he's got Fyfe Lite potential. If he can head in that direction and get to something resembling that type (note type, not level) of player it'll be a great pickup for pick 32.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back