Autopsy Nab Challenge: Match 1 - Hawthorn vs Collingwood (Feb 26 Aurora Stadium) - autopsy from page 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Match 1: Hawthorn vs Collingwood
Thursday February 26th - Aurora Stadium (7.10pm)

Match 2:
Hawthorn vs North Melbourne
Sunday 8th of March - Deakin Recreation Reserve Shepparton (4.40pm)

Match 3: Hawthorn vs St Kilda
Thursday 19th of March - Etihad Stadium (7.10pm)

Nearly one month to go before Hawthorn's 2015 campaign kicks off down at Aurora Stadium against Collingwood on Thursday February 26th (7.10pm) start. This will be Collingwood's first ever road trip down at Aurora.

After winning back to back flags, the Hawks will have pretty much a full squad to choose from heading into the Nab Challenge series. Only Matt Suckling needed post-season surgery. Apart from that we've got a healthy list heading into the Nab Challenge.

Over the pre-season there's been a number of players who've stood out on the track. Players like Hartung, Heatherley, Hardisty, O'Rourke, Sicily, Litherland and Willsmore have all impressed the coaches with their work ethic over the course of the pre-season. Expect to see many of those young players feature heavily during the Nab Challenge series.

The competitions for spots in the Hawks line-up this year will be as tough as ever to break into and selectors will have their work cut out for them trying to pick a side.

After narrowly missing out on selection for the grand final, Ceglar will be more then likely pushing for a spot in our best 22 and may even force David Hale out of the side if Ceglar can improve further on his 2014 output. Who makes way for Whitecross and Anderson during the course of this season will be interesting to see.

Last year Will Langford was one player who emerged as he just got better and better with each game he played... and by Grand Final time he was well and truly entrenched in our best 22 and was one of our best players in the finals. I don't think many would've predicted him to come on as well as he did given the fact that he only played the 1 game heading into the 2014 season and he wasn't even in our top 30 players at the time. That just goes to show how good a season he had last year.

One player who I think will emerge in 2015 is Billy Hartung. Whilst he's not in our best 22 yet, it's hard not to be impressed with the way he plays. If not for that elbow injury he sustained last year he would've featured in a lot more games. He's one player who I reckon will have a breakout season this year. Really looking forward to seeing him develop over the next few years.

Many pundits have predicted us to slide a bit this year, but our list is in as good a shape it's been under Clarkson for a tilt at another Flag. The key here is our list is relatively even. If you look at our best 22 from the Grand Final the majority of those players like Roughead, Lewis, Suckling, McEvoy, Birchall, Smith, Stratton, Puopolo and Rioli, all of those players are in the prime of their careers whilst many of them still have some improvement left in them. Of the younger players like Duryea, Hill, Gunston, Breust, Shiels and Langford, those players haven't even reached their peak, yet Gunston and Breust are already considered elite players.

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of the younger players feature throughout the Nab Challenge and some of them may even be playing for a spot in our side for the Round 1 match against Geelong.

It will be interesting to see how Frawley goes for us down back this year. The upside to having Lake and Frawley in our team at the same time is, Gibson will now be used as the third tall defender each week meaning he can play a more attacking game and this will significantly strengthen what is already a strong back six. I can say right now this is the strongest back six we've ever had under Clarkson. We've got two quality key defenders in Lake and Frawley, two gun medium sized defenders in Gibson and Stratton and two elite half backs in Hodge and Birchall. That's not even counting the players who can rotate in and out of our defense like Burgoyne, Duryea, Suckling and co.

Last edited:
I am really keen to see how they use Gibbo this year if Frawley and Lake play in the same side. Gibbo could be rested for a few as well.

Bloody Thursday night game against the Pies will have to try and get the Friday off now so I can let my hair down.

Good point about gibbo, will be good to see him in a more suitable role.

Honestly reckon a strong argument can be made that this is the strongest list assembled under clarkson. Is exceptionally strong on every line with depth to cover.

Can't wait for this season to begin

Frawley needs to play every pre-season match
Will learn so much "Hawthorn style" in a game situation as opposed to just training it!
The rest of the squad, especially early on in the NAB, should be made up of youngsters
Results don't matter, but it is invaluable learning!

Will learn so much "Hawthorn style" in a game situation as opposed to just training it!
The rest of the squad, especially early on in the NAB, should be made up of youngsters

Considering you only have 3 pre season games to want everyone that you envisage playing in Round 1 to have at least 2 hit outs prior to Easter Monday if possible.

Tend to agree. I'm sure the match committee will be blooding plenty of the young blokes. Particularly the ones who have shone at training. It will be a great opportunity to showcase the quality of our depth heading into the season proper.
On a personal note I'm hoping to get a look at Sicily, gauging last years VFL GF he looks to have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Yep, which is why I think O'Rourke will also play in at least two of these games. The St Kilda match will depend on how close he is to the starting 22.

It will be interesting to see how Frawley goes for us down back this year. The upside to having Lake and Frawley in our team at the same time is, Gibson will now be used as the third tall defender each week meaning he can play a more attacking game and this will significantly strengthen what is already a strong back six. I can say right now this is the strongest back six we've ever had under Clarkson.

I predict Gibbo will finally get his maiden AFL (proper season) goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long range NAB R1 team forecast:

Backs: Duryea, heatherly, Brand
H-Backs: birch(C), Frawley, Lithers
Centres: Smith, Woody, Hartung
H-For: Sicily, TOB, Willsmore
Forward: Grim, Shoe, Miles
Rucks: Cegs, O'Rourke, Ando

Bench: BB, Hardisty, Simpkin, Howe.

I like it.

If WhiteX is ready to go I wouldn't mind seeing him in the team in place of say Miles.
Also wouldn't mind leaving BB at home and giving Pitt a go.

I agree that we need to send a young team, especially considering we have the shortest pre-season yet have been scheduled to travel interstate and play in the first pre-season game.

I like it.

If WhiteX is ready to go I wouldn't mind seeing him in the team in place of say Miles.
Also wouldn't mind leaving BB at home and giving Pitt a go.

I agree that we need to send a young team, especially considering we have the shortest pre-season yet have been scheduled to travel interstate and play in the first pre-season game.
Yeah, don't think Whitey will be ready this early and I threw BB in to protect the younguns. I'd rather see Pittonet play the second game when a few senior mids can tell him what to do.

Are there more I/C or Subs allowed in the Pre-Season Comp?
For whatever reason, I seem to remember increased rotations being part of last season's cup; or, am I just dizzy from too many GF Replays?

I'd love to see that side have a run

Thursday night match. I won't be going, doubt there will be big crowd.

Launceston Cup (Horsies) on the Wednesday.. be a great few days, hopefully a few from the races hang round for the footy.. will be checking in to Peppers Launi late Tuesday for a big few days.

It's a few too many young blokes for mine. Miles, Howe and Hardisty have plenty of time and we still need to try to get the team to gel. It can't all be done in the third game.

Genius move by the AFL to play this on a Thursday night during the working week to stop people from anywhere not close to Launceston from going. Seriously. Who makes these decisions? Tony Abbott?!
Do you think the AFL gives a rat's arse about the fans wanting to go and see it? They want Thursday night footy, so they schedule it. For some reason, they think that spreading games throughout the week is good for the game. The yanks do it and it seems to make money, so it must be good for us. What they do not seem to realise is that the sum total of footy fans in Australia is not sufficient to make a squillion out of Thursday Night Football.

Frankly, I still cannot understand why we need to play a round of matches over 3 days, let alone 4 or 5. Saturday and Sunday afternoons is when most people would venture out for the game. And whoever suggested the GF be played at night needs a large carrot planted firmly up his/her arse. Some traditions should be left alone.

Dumb decision, but we are talking about the AFL, here. And consideration of the fans has never been part of their agenda.

PS Re your reference to Tony Abbott, well I have always been a Lib voter, but this last decision may well earn Abbott a place in vernacular history.

"You made a really bad decision. You are such an Abbott!"

Thursday night match. I won't be going, doubt there will be big crowd.
A hell of a lot of non Launceston/North/NW based Hawks will not bother going.

I still expect a crowd of 15 to 17 thousand.

If it was a Friday night game then you would have got 4000 coming up from the south, including me.

A hell of a lot of non Launceston/North/NW based Hawks will not bother going.

I still expect a crowd of 15 to 17 thousand.

If it was a Friday night game then you would have got 4000 coming up from the south, including me.

and me. Not sure how I can swing it. Going to try though.

Should get plenty of viewers on TV. Good for the advertisers at least.

Not so good for interstate or non Launceston Tasmanians wishing to attend though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back