Autopsy Nab Challenge: Match 1 - Hawthorn vs Collingwood (Feb 26 Aurora Stadium) - autopsy from page 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree it is a move in the right direction if your summation is correct. I love seeing champions of the game use their strength to break tackles and dispose of the ball. If you can not pin a player in a tackle, stiff. I will lose my shite if they start paying ticky touchwood holding the ball decisions like they did a few years back. It did my nut and ruined the game.

Judd was a great example. I want to see players like him break tackles and burst free. Love it. Bruest is another in this category. Are we playing touch football now?

I like this, too.
We want to see skilled players taking on the game, not a team of tacklers and rolling mauls playing rugby. Paul Roos has managed to develop a form of our game that depends on packs of players jumping on the player with the ball. The skills disappear and all you can see are holding the ball decisions.

The Hawks showed how it is done in the Grand final; in fact, Clarko's coaching is all about defending when necessary. but also attacking, taking on the game and kicking goals, and it is great to watch.

Reward the attacking player should be the primary aim.

All I wanted them to do was when the player has had a genuine amount of time to dispose the ball gets tackled and then drops/throws the ball feigning a handball it is holding the ball/incorrect disposal. Some of the stuff last year was just plain disgraceful. It isn't about more or less time it is just paying a free kick when the player had a chance and doesn't legally dispose it.
This

But more importantly, they need to define where a tackle is "held"

Gridiron has the "knee" and momentum stop, rugby league has the elbow to the ground and momentum, union has the player being grounded

We have the "spun 360 when not spun 360 making an attempt but you're not making an attempt you dragged it in but into the opposition do you're rewarded but you can't do that so its play on because the ball spilled free"

Define when the tackle is, and watch things get clearer

All I wanted them to do was when the player has had a genuine amount of time to dispose the ball gets tackled and then drops/throws the ball feigning a handball it is holding the ball/incorrect disposal. Some of the stuff last year was just plain disgraceful. It isn't about more or less time it is just paying a free kick when the player had a chance and doesn't legally dispose it.

Quite often the cats players if stronger than opponent, would plce the ball on the ground, then wrestle off the smaller opponent, wit for a team mate to arrive. They sometimes got so much leeway from the umps theyd then pick up the ball and handball it. Used to drive me mad, i know the lions did the same thing but it wasnt nearly as cynical with the rules

Quite often the cats players if stronger than opponent, would plce the ball on the ground, then wrestle off the smaller opponent, wit for a team mate to arrive. They sometimes got so much leeway from the umps theyd then pick up the ball and handball it. Used to drive me mad, i know the lions did the same thing but it wasnt nearly as cynical with the rules
It got ridiculous in 09/10
I remember an Easter Monday game where during a 5 minute passage of play, they weren't just placing the ball on the ground, but also scooping it up
They would also literally sit on a player after a tackle

It is why I still have little respect for the 07-09 geelong team, compared to the 2011 team

They are trying to reward good tackles but instead they are rewarding the tackler in every situation.

Trailing one handed jumper tackles where the tackler is dragged along the ground while the ball player continues to run? HTB.

Weak tackles that are shrugged or broken without the ball player being brought down? HTB.

It's a move in the right direction but based on the umpiring so far it's probably gone too far and overshot where it needs to be.
If that's how it's going to play out then you're right, Breust is screwed! On the flip-side, Ablett will be brought back closer to the pack.

If that's how it's going to play out then you're right, Breust is screwed! On the flip-side, Ablett will be brought back closer to the pack.
They'll soften the interpretation pretty quickly given soft frees are an ugly for the look of the game, slow the inactive play part of the game down and get fans angry. The complete opposite of what they're after.

Yep, the worst part is that is not legal but it was just let go. Very frustrating as an opposition fan when they break the rules and don't get punished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back