Preview Round 1, 2015 - Brisbane Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would of thought the opposite. The rain would play into our favor with our small forwards being key.

If it where to piss down rain however id swap leunburger out with someone.

I guess we'll find out on Saturday, cause the weather forecast isn't getting any better it would seem :(

I can see two sides to this. On one hand I would agree that wet weather would suit our mozzies and negate Cloke et al quite a bit. On the other hand I think one of our current strengths is run and carry/fast movement football (diminished somewhat without Hanley) which could become allot more sloppy in the wet weather, but perhaps I'm over analysing that and it will be the same for both sides.

IMO our smalls are key in wet or dry as we don't have a consistent big marking target up front yet, (Mcstay is promising) even more important in the wet I agree. Interesting how it will play out on Saturday I definitely hope for big games from the Mozzies!

Overall I'm just bumped out about the weather and the potential flow on effects on crowd numbers :(

Fingers crossed for a better outlook come Sat afternoon/evening.

Last edited:
Assuming we break even on intensity, I like our chances in the rain. It will also be interesting to see whether Leppa is tempted to re-run his experiment with Stef attending a few centre bounces as a mid. It's unlikely I guess, but he's shown clean enough hands in close in the wet (North game last year at the Gabba) and would be a really difficult body for the Collingwood mids to deal with.

For those not going on Saturday we have this bloke to look forward to.

Oh Boy, weewow

Can't wait for him to pronounce our players names wrong and for him to wank off to collingwood

Lions by 23 in a very ugly game. Dayne Beams to have a blinder against his old club, BOG with 35 touches and 2 goals

I don't follow the conventional wisdom about wet conditions equalising the contest. Generally the skills of the better players shine through in the wet, even for talls. I think talls that can play at ground level are worth gold in those conditions. Martin is one example. If Cloke is on he can mark in any conditions, especially with that glove. Young players , even the more skilful ones, often find it hard to keep their feet in the contest in even dry conditions. I think we will be relying on our more experienced players even more so than usual to win this one.

On the contested footy, I think that Redden, Rocky, Christensen and Robbo will potentially swing that one our way. Swan will be a bulldozer but I'm unsure if any of the other regular Pies onballers will make up for some of the Lions big bodies. As you say though, it will be about intent on the day. I hope they are ready for the season, that being the case.
Sounds like Swan will be playing forward/mid as opposed to mid resting forward... Pendlebury and Adams, purely because he's big not because of his skill, will be the ones to stop. Greenwood's absence will be a huge relief for us given the conditions

Could be a big year for Reddo. Will get no attention at all with the players around him. Would love to see him sneaking up forward a bit more, he can take a mark and kick a good goal. Think his tackling and inside work will be very important in the engine room this year, allowing our more damaging players to rack up the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow the conventional wisdom about wet conditions equalising the contest. Generally the skills of the better players shine through in the wet, even for talls. I think talls that can play at ground level are worth gold in those conditions. Martin is one example. If Cloke is on he can mark in any conditions, especially with that glove. Young players , even the more skilful ones, often find it hard to keep their feet in the contest in even dry conditions. I think we will be relying on our more experienced players even more so than usual to win this one.

Wet ground technique is critical- get low, anticipate skid with minimal bounce. Over the back in marking contests.

Backing Close to have a good game if it is wet. He isn't a particularly strong contested mark but should be able to burn his opponent as the game goes on.

Had one of my favorite Pies workmates (we talk footy all the time) rushed up to me today, phone in hand....MM, it has just been announced by your guys that Beams is out for the season!!!!!!

...apparently the look on my face was hysterical....he cracked up.

Then the penny dropped. I attempted to throw something at him, but he took off!

:$ I was not amused. I hate April Fools day. :$

I think the following things are all true about us and probably well suited to the wet:
  • good skills and big bodies in the midfield, should do okay with contested ball
  • good ruck combination which should give us a decent chance at first possession
  • offensive game more based on scrappy poached goals and pressure, in contrast to clean delivery and marking
  • a defence that is exposed worst against slick ball movement (this may be true of everyone I guess) but should hold up relatively better in muddy chaos.
I'm fairly optimistic. Lions by 12.

We should win this one. Going to be very interested to see the boys live again. Really keen to see how the forward line functions and where/when the talls lead out. Think Bergs could have a big game. Influences the contest in the ruck, and he could set up a goal or two playing deep forward, and even crumb a goal or 2.

Sucks how it will likely be raining on the only occasion where we could possibly get over 30 thousand. :mad:

I'd have this as 50/50 at a neutral venue, with the home ground giving us a very slight advantage.

Perhaps I've been burned by past "false dawns" but the closer the game gets, the more reasons I find why we may not win. Key forwards are too young. Midfield combinations not yet proven. No small defender. No Patfull. Rich and Beams down back. No proven defensive combinations. Two ruck strategy. 2nd year syndrome for Aish, Taylor and co.

I'm a naturally optimistic supporter but I don't have any confidence in this group just yet. I'm hopeful of a good performance but readying myself for something less.

I'd have this as 50/50 at a neutral venue, with the home ground giving us a very slight advantage.

Perhaps I've been burned by past "false dawns" but the closer the game gets, the more reasons I find why we may not win. Key forwards are too young. Midfield combinations not yet proven. No small defender. No Patfull. Rich and Beams down back. No proven defensive combinations. Two ruck strategy. 2nd year syndrome for Aish, Taylor and co.

I'm a naturally optimistic supporter but I don't have any confidence in this group just yet. I'm hopeful of a good performance but readying myself for something less.
Yeah, I become a little optimistic and then feel ashamed of myself for not remembering our checked past of 'will wins'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back