Review NMFC vs Port Power Post match analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

First time posting, long time lurker (like 5+ years) tonight finally decided to sign up.

Can I just say that we have over 37000 members. Say 5000 are interstate and 10000 live in country Victoria. That is still 22000 that could have come tonight. 8000 is just not good enough. Nearly the same amount of people went to Brisbane last week for a Sunday twilight game. How can we expect to grow our brand when we play in front of empty stands. What more do our members want, Saturday night against a prelim finalist from last year!!

Brought my missus to her first game in Melbourne tonight, she's a dockers fan but wore my members scarf. Both were disappointed with how fickle the crowd was, the only time we heard some noise was in the 4th after Lindsay's 2nd. Wish we had some better cheers than lets go kangas..

Obviously disappointed but it's early days in the season. Do think Tippett could have potentially played and then Thompson could play his rebounding half backer role without leaving heaps of space and men unmarked.

Thanks lads

I was really impressed by NM tonight against many odds. I have no confidence at all for us getting anywhere near NM next week.
Btw, where is Aaron Mullet? Injured, or on the outer?

He's injured but I watched him train with the reserves on Friday and looked pretty good. I reckon he'll be in 1s calculations by round 7-10

They had one last year and we got over them. I don't think it's that big of a deal in the modern game.
Apparently it was for round 1! This is why shits me about some supporters. They're happy to lose to Adelaide because it's in Adelaide but then they're also happy to lose to Port because...well they'll fi dan excuse. I'm sick of excuses.

A rotation down through the middle with Ziebell gone.

Yeah, those areas need work and will improve with our better users and leaders back in the middle. When it comes down to it it is as much effort as skill that wins flags. We make that the required effort each week and i think our best is right up there.

Gotcha.

Our best is, absolutely.

I want to see it enough.

He was rested because of Playing at Etihad. He would have played if the game was in Adelaide.
But you can't use Cornes being out as an excuse because they had the choice to play him and they didn't. We would have loved to play ours if we could.

Apparently it was for round 1! This is why shits me about some supporters. They're happy to lose to Adelaide because it's in Adelaide but then they're also happy to lose to Port because...well they'll fi dan excuse. I'm sick of excuses.

I'm not making excuses. It sucks that we lost. A lot.

But one team had to lose and, sometimes, it's going to be us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you'd find one supporter that was happy about that round 1 loss, regardless of whether it was played home or away.

Well, we had a crack, that is a positive.

Mistakes cost us badly in the end, that and our 9 iron kicking into the forward 50. We are just not going to contend with the inability to just put out a flat kick out in front of a forward and give him an opportunity to win a 1v1.

Cunnington's two howlers late in the game were brutal but he needs to learn, need to go with the first option when you are in the defensive 50 and if there are no great options then put a loose ball to the ground towards the boundary and let a team mate contest it over. Was too slow the first time, coughed it up and they goal, second time he skied a hurried kick up the corridor, he had to go towards the boundary if under pressure.

Thompson getting sucked in by Schulz was comedy stuff, if he grabs your jumper fair dinkum just pull up right way and throw your body back, your jumper will sail and even a blind maggot will see it. Thommo didn't play with any real intelligence tonight. I thought Tarrant and Wright were very good. McDonald has courage defensively, his kicking is shizenhousen. I thought he was meant to be elite in the kicking department...

Gibson ran all night, as expected, his kicking going forward no good, also as expected. Nahas was lively but mostly ineffective. Petrie and Waite were poor up forward but the kicks coming in were complete garbage. I thought Brown contested the best, when the ball didn't sail 10m over his head.

Ziebell going down early killed us.

Lastly, this style of footy... I can't see us winning anything with the team we have. It is not going to hold up to finals football, nor will Port's for what it is worth. I still don't rate Scott as a coach and don't like Crocker as the midfield coach, we are shithouse at stoppages, leaving guys like Gray unmanned, guys just standing in the middle of nowhere, we live or die based on the individual efforts, our team play is woeful, the only fluency in our play comes from a defensive rebound when we don't lose our s**t and bomb it and work through the press.

But you can't use Cornes being out as an excuse because they had the choice to play him and they didn't. We would have loved to play ours if we could.
I'm not using it an excuse, I'm using it show that they weren't at full strength as well. They're managing their list, but if we play them in a final Cornes will be playing.

Jacobs was excellent, save the putrid falling over that led to Matt White's goal.

Luke's disposal is so hit and miss. Cracks in harder than most though.

Tarrant »»»» Tippett.

Waite was pants. Drew kicked some clutch goals. LT is a gun. Wood will be. Could have won us the game twice in the last.

We fought hard against a really good team with three of our best players out, one sucking major testicle, a ruckman playing against his kryptonite and down a rotation. It is still early and we proved we can go with a very good team under serious duress.

Goldy dick count: back down to 2.

I don't think anyone was happy with the Adelaide performance, interstate or not

We played a contender, it's ok to lose. We played a contender in Adelaide too, so it was ok to lose. We'll win next time we play a team that isn't a contender, and then maybe we can dream about being a contender...

Yep.

It's embarrassing to read the excuses in this thread of why we lost (as if Port were full strength and playing at home)

We weren't good enough. The end : /

Remove this Banner Ad

Back