Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ugly

Paul Roos
- done a lot of good things with Melbourne but using Bernie as a thug to assault Danger at every opportunity is his lowest moment as a coach IMO. I hope the Match Review Committee go through the whole game because there are several reportable incidents by Bernie in that game. Too many to list that should have been frees as well. I was absolutely disgusted with the whole treatment of Danger and the blatant lack of protection by the umps.

The Umps - blatantly ignored the treatment being handed out to Danger. As the commentators said when Bernie shirt-fronted Danger front-on that the 3 umpires would have had to be blind not to see that. IMO the 3 blind mice should be stood down this week for incompetence. We come to the football to see good players play good football, not scragging mauling mongrels manhandling the guns of the game.

Bernie - said that he did as he was told - and I believe that. Sorry Bernie, reportable is still reportable and you've lost me. Scragging is one thing but a couple of things you did there were over the top and I hope you get time for them. You deserve to.

Spot on.

I was at the game and I'm just watching the replay now. They play no vision of what Bernie did to Danger after he played for the free in front of the riverbank stand. He stood over him with another player shielding him from the umps view and dropped a knee into Danger's chest. That's two dropped knees, one to his man bits and another in the chest.

Must be reviewed.

He got away a couple of times early on, but then we really tightened up on him and stopped his run and made sure every possession was full on under pressure. I thought that was a pretty successful coaching move for the day.

I think the weather helped quell him, but he had a decent influence for Melb, although not match winning. Still 25 poss to VB's 9. Just saying I'm not convinced VBs in our best team, nor performing any better than the dropped Lyons or Grigg of late. Agree to disagree if you like. Can only hope he improves as the weeks go on, or else when B Crouch is ready.. bye bye vanilla VB.

What was the deal with Bernie v Dangerfield? I haven't watched the game yet... did anyone stick up for Dangerfield and get stuck into Bernie?

Would love to have an enforcer/crazy nut in our team- we're missing one of them. Too many nice guys in our team. If Bernie was doing that to a hawks player you'll be sure he would've copped 10 times as much back from a Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell or even Brian Lake would've went through him. Someone go straight through him FFS.

Not enough plaudits given to Douglas, thought he was great today, particularly once the rain started falling.

I was pissed off at Vince to begin with, but even more pissed off that nobody ever did anything about it. It was clear from midway through the third quarter that the umpires had put the whistle away, we should have been cannoning into him every contest.

Great to see Kelly work his way into the game after some shaky moments early.

On the ugly side of things, definitely not Hartigan's best work today.

The Good
MacKay - on song. What a sensational mark!
Thompson - too slow too old :rolleyes: I hope the numpties saw his chase and rundown. Turned the game for us.
Cam E-Y - just getting better and better

The Bad
Roos coming here to lose by as little as possible, not coming here to win. I hope he does that against us forever.

The ugly
The umpires ignoring all the s**t happening to Danger. Campaigners.

Preach sir, preach.

I was pissed off at Vince to begin with, but even more pissed off that nobody ever did anything about it. It was clear from midway through the third quarter that the umpires had put the whistle away, we should have been cannoning into him every contest.

I think PW was saying we didn't take our focus of the ball and were rewarded with a win. The best part about today was that whilst Danger took the heat Sloane took the ball and used it well.

I scribbled these down late in the fourth quarter:

Good (or best):
1) Mackay Hard running, great tackling and courageous
2) Sloane See comments on Mackay...ditto
3) Thommo Kept at it all day
4) Dougie See cmndstab's comments a couple of posts above.
5) I really struggled with whether this one should go to Jaensch or the C-E-Yo. I went with Jaensch as he was very good early when the game was slipping and had to be won, and as good and as important as CEY's goals were he made a few clangers also.
6) I decided I would give a sixth or supplementary vote. This goes to Vince. He was great for us. He kicked the ball to our end with that long kick of his and generally gave away a few stupid frees, as well as firing the boys and crowd up. When he retires from footy he can make a few bucks and advertise underpants for Coles to their jingle 'down, down, keeping them down'.

Honourable mentions go to:
Lynch (an excellent game for a second week in a row), Eddie (flashes of brilliance as usual), Brown, Laird, Talia. I am sure there are others who were worthy also, but these are those who I noticed and noted.

If you booed Bernie Vince today you are a moron, and a mindless a-hole.

Bernie didn't want to leave Adelaide. Bernie was unceremoniously dumped by our club because we were trying to get back in the draft after Tippett-gate. He paid the ultimate price, while others in the club's administration and board remained unscathed.

Those who booed him today, hang your stupid heads in shame. You're a bunch of pricks.

Pete for the win :thumbsu:

though I think you're a bit soft on the cretins wetting their knickers over him

Last edited:
Good; dmack - brave. Sloane Eddie Thompson all great but watching CEY's game today makes me chuffed. He does this thing where he creates space to gather the ball by blocking the area with his arse and you can move him and he doesn't fall. Big fan. I think I'm in the minority here but I thought vince's game was excellent today.

Bad; It wasn't the weather for JJ but Even so I think I'm over this project. We didn't hold the ball in our 50 well at all today. Feels almost like a step back in that sense.

Ugly; can't believe I'm saying this but danger has to stop throwing his head back, complaining, staying down and all the wincing etc. yes he is targeted and held and hard at it etc but boak selwood Mitchell etc all cop it and bounce up and don't let it show. Just hate the theatrics that go with his game when it's not all roses. Clearly dees think so and sent Vince to expose it. Anyway I don't want think about that game much more!

Ellis-Yolmen - Matty Rendell said to me a couple of months after he was drafted to keep watching this kid as he will prove to be the best player ever taken at #64 in the draft. Certainly starting to look like Rendell was spot on. In racing parlance, he's grown another leg this year.

Needs to improve a fair bit before this can happen. Cameron Bruce and Nick Malceski were damn good players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Tom McDonald did a great job on Tex, I rate him.
He was good. Weather conditions suited. Would like to see him and Tex go at it on a less slippery surface. Is from Edenhope. Just over the border. His folks were at the game.

Looking at this replay, Bernie made Patty his bitch, only one who should be hanging there head in shame is patty for the dive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Paddy will be very embarrassed about his dive. No doubt about that. It was unfortunate the umpires forced him into exaggerating as Bernie sniped him at every opportunity without reproach from the umps. It was a truly ugly display of football between the two.

Would love to have an enforcer/crazy nut in our team- we're missing one of them. Too many nice guys in our team. If Bernie was doing that to a hawks player you'll be sure he would've copped 10 times as much back from a Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell or even Brian Lake would've went through him. Someone go straight through him FFS.

After all this time you still expect an AFC team to show some mongrel. It's not in our nature. It's deplorable.

I'm not sure why people keep highlighting Jenkins lack of intensity because it's not going to improve. It is what is. Either he stays in the team and we take the good with the bad, or the pea hearted Luke Jericho clone gets moved on for good.

I think the weather helped quell him, but he had a decent influence for Melb, although not match winning. Still 25 poss to VB's 9. Just saying I'm not convinced VBs in our best team, nor performing any better than the dropped Lyons or Grigg of late. Agree to disagree if you like. Can only hope he improves as the weeks go on, or else when B Crouch is ready.. bye bye vanilla VB.

What did most on this board say about Dmac last week? Vanilla, useless, must be dropped as he had not many possessions. What did Walsh say in his presser yesterday? He said he was very happy with Dmac's game last week. There are roles in the team that we don't really know about, but watching the game at the ground yesterday that switch between players to 'cool' off Lumumba was very obvious depending on where he was playing.

VB is not vanilla and never has been and up forward he is playing a role for us. B Crouch doesn't have the defensive mindset or skills that VB has, his skills are in other areas. Same with Grigg or Lyons. For those players to get in they would be playing either in Curly's role, Danger, Sloane, Thompson or Douglas' role I bet. Those are the players they are more likely to oust from the team. Maybe Wright, although he's been playing more 'cooling'/blocking role in the forward line in the two previous games. If people want those players dropped for more attacking see ball/get ball players, they need to consider the roles those players are actually playing and it's not all about possessions.

Ahh but see our boys know, you get really into Bernie and it fires him up and he plays better. Instead we put a lot of heat on Jones in return and really hurt him, legally, every time he was near the ball. Stop Jones, you stop Melbourne. Stop Dangerfield and we still have Sloane and Douglas and Thompson and now Ellis-Yolmen et al.

There were some attempts at blocking Bernie and he was getting a bit of attention from our players as well. Loved Sauce dumping him on the ground at one stage and Bull had a bit of a go at him too.

One thing I liked about this game was the stepping up of lesser lights. The first two games were great - we will win most weeks if Dangerfield, Sloane, Walker, Smith and Jacobs are our best players.

Really good to get a win without a huge contribution from Paddy or Sauce, and with serviceable cameos from Smith/Tex.

What was the deal with Bernie v Dangerfield? I haven't watched the game yet... did anyone stick up for Dangerfield and get stuck into Bernie?

Yeah, the crowd.
Danger got smashed from pillar to post and not only by Vince. The Ds came with a mindset to go for the man and they did so. The 1st half was a very poor spectacle even given the conditions.
Interesting to see Patty and Vince in a long conversation after the final siren. They were all smiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back