Analysis Pies awesome Anzac Day win. Match review

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to the Pies. worthy winners, better tackling, fierce pressure and just wanted it more. I knew we were in deep doo-doo early.

as bitter as I am about the loss, it what makes Anzac Day so special; any team can win regardless of form or expectation.

good luck with the rest of the season.

Okay, love the win - strong performance, great team effort, even if some didn't go so well - Oxley, Gault. Still need to improve the footskills longterm though. I reckon in Dangerfield, Aish or even Yarran are available at the end of the year ....

I didn't get to see the game today unfortunately and only tuned in to see the song being sung! I'm dying to see a replay but guess I'll have to wait the 24 hours (or whatever it is) until the AFL site replays it. Speaking of the AFL site, I particularly liked this bit in the game summary:

INJURIES Essendon: Chapman (knee)
Collingwood: Nil

:)

IIRC, he has already played before this year. He's probably already played in a win.

If my memory is correct:

14 - Rd23 - Hawks - Loss
15 - Rd3 - Saints - Win
15 - Rd4 - Bombers - Win

I might be wrong.

Many of us thought our backline would be our short-term weakness with Reid out given the inexperience, but they have been excellent all year and spectacular today. Frost, Brown and Sack in particular.

Pendlebury was watched closely by the Bombers but his 1%ers and poise in certain tough situations were pivotal. Didn't have his usual offensive influence but I think he took a step forward with his captaincy today; willed himself on the contest like the best captains do.

Seedsman, Adams, Crisp, Williams all excellent too. Unfortunately I don't think Gault will make it; I know the conditions didn't suit but he doesn't have enough weapons to compensate for his lack of pace. Witts or Karnezis need to replace him.

Many of us thought our defense was solid, but our midfield had issues, our forward line only marginally better.

Add the run and toughness of Crisp, the class of Broomy, and the improving contribution of Grundy to Pendles, The reinvigorated Swan, and Adams and the midfield is much improved.

Add a reasonable 3rd tall and Varcoe to the F50 and even that looks on the up.

Still early and still improvement to come but a good start nonetheless.

I was calling for Goldsack to be dropped last week. Haha oops. He was great. Even clunked some big marks!

Frost, Crisp, Marley, Seed, Adams, Pendles last quarter. It was just an all round brilliant effort from everyone. It didn't fall for him today, but again It was really competitive effort from Varcoe.

What I love about this young team is that they are developing in the right way. Bucks is developing a squad of hard nuts and competitors.

wrapped to see a few of our lessor known boys up and about today seeds,crispy,frosty,had cracking games best to date .We may give the 8 a shake yet, go pies:)

Can't agree more.
8 ANZAC day virgins had an awesome(GF style) win. You can't buy that type of experience.
Worth 5 Arizona's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't get to see the game today unfortunately and only tuned in to see the song being sung! I'm dying to see a replay but guess I'll have to wait the 24 hours (or whatever it is) until the AFL site replays it. Speaking of the AFL site, I particularly liked this bit in the game summary:

INJURIES Essendon: Chapman (knee)
Collingwood: Nil

:)
Don't bother with the first qtr, it was full Essenjection one sided umpiring, but u know what? We kicked all their heads in. Sweet justice baby, oh yeah :)

Does anybody remember after our loss to the doggies in the pre season?

The board went into meltdown, so many "Buckley has to be sacked", "We're a bottom 4 team", "Seasons over", "Drop everyone and play the kids"

Funny funny stuff, where are all those w***ers now?

Positives:

Effort - Has been the standout attribute from our boys this year. Hard at the contest and giving it their all. It's this attitude that will keep us in a lot of games even when our skills might not be at the level

Pressure - We never let the Bombers look comfortable using the ball, harassing their outside runners all afternoon and forcing turnovers. Very pleasing to see.

Strong D - Smothered the Essendon talls today didn't they? Just great to see that back third really coming together.

Negatives:

Ball Use - Take out some absolutely atrocious disposals and the game would've been wrapped up by 3/4 time. Whilst effort and perseverance will keep us competitive and other teams honest, improving our disposal will make the difference between wounding opposition and scoring a killing blow.

Couldn't be happier though.

Can't agree more.
8 ANZAC day virgins had an awesome(GF style) win. You can't buy that type of experience.
Worth 5 Arizona's.
not wrong Pie Eyed someone said we had 12 lads with under 50 games exp playing,like you said you cant buy that ;)

And the Collingwood chant in the third and last quarters - memo to CFC : that's how it's done! Organic, in the moment and in response to awesome on field effort. Was fantastic to hear it again and to be part of it.
I was very tempted to yell colling colling colling collingwood with five to go just to show them how s**t there chant sounded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back