Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has endorsed his assistants as Carlton looks for candidates to fill its coaching vacancy for 2016.

He said Robert Harvey, Scott Burns and Ben Hart had built good resumes, and while selfishly he would like to retain them he would also like to see them get an opportunity as senior coaches.

"I'm rapt with our high quality character and acumen of our staff, not only with our coaching department but with our whole football program," Buckley said.

"We have got some coaches on the panel that have been able to put together a fair body of work and are doing fantastic work in here.

"I'll be talking in glowing terms about all of those guys, because I would love to see them get the opportunity in due course."

Buckley said any prospective coach had to be comfortable that the club he joined fitted his personality and style.

"Your senior coach and the club need to be so aligned in the way they see things, the direction they are going to travel. If that fit isn't right from the start it is going to be pretty hard to be successful," hey said.

Carlton president Mark LoGiudice said on Tuesday the Blues sacked Mick Malthouse mid-season because the two parties had become "misaligned".

Buckley paid tribute to his former coach and said history would focus on his overall contribution rather than the past few weeks.

"We just want to speculate on the recent goings on, but the fact is that when the dust settles Mick's 30-year coaching career and his 43 years in the game will stand the test of time and that is his legacy," Buckley said.

Class Bucks, class:thumbsu:

Burns and Harvey seem like they could be a big chance, particularly with a couple of experienced coaches already telling Carlton to F off.

I think the Thompson quote was an old one from the beginning of the year when asked if he'd ever coach again. Kind of a stock standard response in no way directed at any particular club.

I think the Thompson quote was an old one from the beginning of the year when asked if he'd ever coach again. Kind of a stock standard response in no way directed at any particular club.

It's possible it was an old quote but he had this to say (presumably about Carlton):

I'm not sure, from the outside, that they've really got their club together at the moment.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-27/im-done-mark-thompson-not-in-mix-to-coach-carlton-next-year

So it sounds fairly recent.. or certainly not something that will change given their recent actions.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has endorsed his assistants as Carlton looks for candidates to fill its coaching vacancy for 2016.
I doubt Carlton will hire a coach with a link to Collingwood again.
Agree with this. There's a big question mark over player motivation at Carlton, and over fan moral. I can't see the playing group or fans warming to yet another ex-Collingwood face, even one that was at Carlton previously. The Blues board would be bonkers to go down that track again. But hey, they're not in the position they're in because of shrewd management decisions, so it just may happen.

But our boys would have to even more bonkers to accept the position if any were offered it. What a poison chalice! Shite list, shite football culture, questionable management culture (Dr. Edelstein, meet Steven Trigg), no prospect of challenging for the flag within any forseeable future, a strong chance of challenging for the spoon this year and next, an angry fanbase, the list goes on. And you would have four to five games grace before the knives came out, I reckon.

Agree with this. There's a big question mark over player motivation at Carlton, and over fan moral. I can't see the playing group or fans warming to yet another ex-Collingwood face, even one that was at Carlton previously. The Blues board would be bonkers to go down that track again. But hey, they're not in the position they're in because of shrewd management decisions, so it just may happen.

But our boys would have to even more bonkers to accept the position if any were offered it. What a poison chalice! Shite list, shite football culture, questionable management culture (Dr. Edelstein, meet Steven Trigg), no prospect of challenging for the flag within any forseeable future, a strong chance of challenging for the spoon this year and next, an angry fanbase, the list goes on. And you would have four to five games grace before the knives came out, I reckon.

I get the feeling that in his own subtle way, Bucks was trolling Carlton. I am thinking he had a bit of a chuckle over it.

I don't think that any potential coach would be too concerned about their list because those things can be fixed in time. What would scare the crap out of any potential coach is the board, management and the culture of the club. If I were in the running for a job like that the main condition of accepting an offer would be the resignations of the board and the CEO. Clearly such a condition is ridiculous but it would be the only way any sensible person would consider the job.

Yep and Left as soon as MM got there

Think you might be wrong on this one TD. Pretty sure Harvey joined Bucks for his first season coaching, in 2012. Whereas MM's ill-starred and ultimately disastrous stint at Carlton began in 2013.

I get the feeling that in his own subtle way, Bucks was trolling Carlton. I am thinking he had a bit of a chuckle over it.

That's an interesting take on it. Would be hilarious if that was the case, but dont you think Bucks is just too 'straight' to be so devious?

That's an interesting take on it. Would be hilarious if that was the case, but dont you think Bucks is just too 'straight' to be so devious?

There is more to Bucks than meets the eye.

Apparently Bucks gave them a deserved spray at 1/2 time, they responded and Bucks couldn't be prouder judging by this photo.
Hopefully that puts an end to the "has Bucks lost the players" question.
They're his boys now!
upload_2015-6-1_20-8-51.png

Think you might be wrong on this one TD. Pretty sure Harvey joined Bucks for his first season coaching, in 2012. Whereas MM's ill-starred and ultimately disastrous stint at Carlton began in 2013.
Correct. Harvey was also an assistant at the Saints when before he made the move to Collingwood. Not sure if he was at Carlton before that though?

Mick was devious, Bucks is cunning.

Apparently Bucks gave them a deserved spray at 1/2 time, they responded and Bucks couldn't be prouder judging by this photo.
Hopefully that puts an end to the "has Bucks lost the players" question.
They're his boys now!
View attachment 140009

I think it answers the question for at least another 8 days, which is a long time in football. Anyway, I always thought the question was whether Buckley gained the players, not whether he lost them.

I think it answers the question for at least another 8 days, which is a long time in football. Anyway, I always thought the question was whether Buckley gained the players, not whether he lost them.
Semantics, they're still his boys.

You repeat yourself always by saying give Buckley a chance to prove hisself and make excuses about the team being young and having injuries .. Most teams are young and have injuries .. The facts are Buckley has struggled and taken the side down every year and this year is the same we played 1 top 9 side and got smashed .. Members and supporters deserve better from the club .. Next 6 games will really show if Buckley can coach .. Just my opion and facts to back it up .. If you have better stats that prove otherwise show them .. Check mate
here is a stat for you. out of all current day coaches he has the best winning %. so if you want us to go and get the best coach. well guess what we have him !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back