Forget De Goey, Crisp > Beams

I think most will readily admit it.
Im pretty sure I posted multiple times that Crisp would be lucky to get a spot in the 22 based on how little he played at Brisbane. Our recruiting guys clearly picked a gem by getting him as the steak knives in this deal. (basically for our 3rd round pick, i think).

Amazingly he has scored a goal in 10 of our 13 games this year - which is great for a midfielder who's primary role seems to be as a run-with player.
---

But lets not exagerate. Crisp on his own is clearly not better than Beams. Thats not to devalue Crisp, but we have to acknowledge that last year most of us would have listed Beams as a top 5-10 midfielder in the comp... Crisp isn't quite that good.
Clearly you are right Crisp not yet as good as Beams, isolate this year and they will be on par, compare them in big games and Crisp may be on top already as we all know Beamo was prono to go missing-o.

But the key question is would we be doing better right now with Beams and maybe but just maybe yes but going forward me thinks Collingwood will be a far better team with Crisp.

Well done Collingwood and Jack Crisp!

Beams is way better right now, but Crisp suits the team much more. Quicker and bigger and stronger. He is also a great worker defensively. If he was a top 10 draft pick, the way he is playing now at 21, nobody would bat an eyelid. He just plays talented. I guess kicking was his downside, but I haven't seen it. He hits up really well and kis kicks seem to be straight. Perhaps the confidence he is getting playing every week is extending to all of his game.

Was devastated when Beams left, but Crisp and DeGoey have definitely made up for it. Not sold Greenwood is for us. He is a turnover merchant.

And on the topic earlier, I would have Crisp third in the bnf behind Pendles and Marley Williams.

well hes not... but the beauty of all this is that we havent been f**ked over, because we all thought we were screwed. degoeys already come good and crisp exceeded all expectations and greenwoods a gun. when this trade happened as far as we knew Crisp was just another depth player, 5th pick is good but evryone was saying u need one of the top 4 picks for a star and with picks he may have turned out to be a dud. it mightve been beams for greenwood but na, we've been lucky

And in the grander scheme of things, we've clearly won this trade, without doubt. We should be able to get an A Grader with our cap space. I think De Goey and Crisp are best 22 for the next 8-10 years. And both could be A Graders to boot. Then what a lot of people are forgetting is that we have cap space. Now the big gtrades can backfire, exhibit the Beams trade for the Lions, cough Crisp and Aish and a rebuild lol, but I think we are frontrunners for Treloar.

What's he worth? I think a first rounder yep, and then some. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Im glad we got the pick 5, crisp and 21 over pick 5 and Redden.

Crisp is already better than Redden, and we wouldnt have gotten Greenwood.

Im glad we got the pick 5, crisp and 21 over pick 5 and Redden.

Crisp is already better than Redden, and we wouldnt have gotten Greenwood.
Brisbane would be spewing, almost hope Aish doesn't come to us, they'd try to bend us over big time

I like Crisp but better than Beams? Yea nah!

Beams is one of the top few mids in the comp and would probably be AA if the team was picked right now, despite the fact that he just joined a new club. Crisp isn't close to that level.

Beams, in my opinion, has had a better year than any one of our players and Crisp, despite having a good season, hasn't been nearly our best player. The two aren't even comparable.

If we look at crisp 2014 to how he is playing so far mid 2015 with him being so young he has massive upside could be anything

If we look at crisp 2014 to how he is playing so far mid 2015 with him being so young he has massive upside could be anything

Everyone has massive 'upside' if your definition of upside if the ability to reach a level they haven't reached yet but that our imagination suggest they can...

Brisbane have won this trade this year (e.g. in the short term), but we stand to probably win it in the long term. Beams is a strong candidate for AA the way he is going, Crisp is not nearly at that level. De Goey is a fringe player this year, and Greenwood probably won't play.

In the long term, it will depend on the improvement of De Goey and Crisp, and whether Greenwood can have an impact like he did last year, and not the impact he had in all prior years to that.

Clearly you are right Crisp not yet as good as Beams, isolate this year and they will be on par, compare them in big games and Crisp may be on top already as we all know Beamo was prono to go missing-o.

But the key question is would we be doing better right now with Beams and maybe but just maybe yes but going forward me thinks Collingwood will be a far better team with Crisp.

Well done Collingwood and Jack Crisp!

Pretty spot on, Crisp isn't the player Beams is but he's a better player for us.
Add in De Goo and hopefully Greenwood comes good and it's a great trade for the Pies.

Beams is a genuine gun player of the comp. But he wanted out.

We could've been dudded in the deal, and many of us thought we would be. But importantly we broke even...with the potential to win it long term.

Crisp is a huge asset, and De Goey is a star in the making.

We probably can't declare the trade a win unless Greenwood comes on, but injury is the only reason we haven't seen him.

I also agree earlier with the comment that Crisp is a good fit for our side. Good pace and endurance with a defensive and offensive element to his game.

Maybe Brisbane will offer us Aish + 1st rounder for Crisp this trade season :)

Wouldn't take it anyway ;)

Crisp fits our team structure and direction very well, might be a bit of money ball about it but I'm happy to see him so committed to the jumper and Varcoe for that matter.

Regarding Varcoe, I never thought I'd say this, but gee I wish we had him in the B&W jumper years ago, great passion for the game now.

This is silly, beams is a great player and its only the fact that he is at brisbane that he is not being mentioned in the same light. If he had gone to a competitive side he would be tearing it up....what I think this shows is that good footy teams make ordinary players better as in crispy one looking so much better....if brisbane can ever put back together a good team then the opinion about this trade will change again.....but whats the point in looking backwards anyway.

When Beams left, I was truly devastated, and had a sad knot in my stomach for months everytime I thought about it.

But not anymore, I love Crisp...he is definitely helping me to forget.

In a lot of ways he is similar to Beams, but he seems to enjoy himself out there a little bit more;)

I really like him as a person also, he has impressed when interviewed...you can tell he is loving his new opportunity with the Pies!

Last edited:
Back