List Mgmt. 2016 general list discussion and speculation (cont in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry too much. I think it's fairly common for clubs to have more players than you think out of contract. Plus given the Old Folks retiring and the Hawkins/Dangerfield contract I don't think we'll see much movement for until the offseason.
Just hope we are able to pull off getting a big fish. Things aren't looking so positive in that respect at the moment, and hopefully the other clubs don't offer our out of contract players big deals like last year's trade period. I am resigned to the fact that we might lose Motlop, but will be a little miffed if we don't get at least one of the players we are chasing

I wouldn't worry too much. I think it's fairly common for clubs to have more players than you think out of contract. Plus given the Old Folks retiring and the Hawkins/Dangerfield contract I don't think we'll see much movement for until the offseason.
I'd add that quite a number of contracts are done behind the scenes with no public discussion or speculation. Thurlow's announcement today, for instance, followed a period of silence.

By season's end the number out of contract will be around 10 and that will include a bunch of veterans who will be weighing up their futures.

I'd add that quite a number of contracts are done behind the scenes with no public discussion or speculation. Thurlow's announcement today, for instance, followed a period of silence.

By season's end the number out of contract will be around 10 and that will include a bunch of veterans who will be weighing up their futures.
Yeah, good point CE

It's certainly a bit of a risk having so many players ooc at the same time. But I think the club really just needs/needed to have the time to make assessments.
Some of the players hadn't established themselves and others are vets which has obvious issues needing to be weighed up.

“There will be a decision (on where the club sees him fitting in to future plans and for what money) and some sort of agreement (as to whether he is prepared to fulfil that role and accept the Eagles offer, or whether he should seek other opportunities elsewhere at the end of the season) in the near future, I would think.”

That's that then. I'm not disappointed if we get someone in his place as I think he's just an average player these days with not much upside. Hopefully there is a "someone else" though.

I have inserted some selective interpretation in bold above. In short, the article says absolutely nothing that we didn't already know - probably some effective misdirection by both his manager and the club to try to avoid danger field type speculation building in the latter part of the season when the eagles need to start focusing on finals. If any club knows what these types of distractions are like going into a finals campaign, it's us.

Also Daz (I think) mentioned in the Thurlow thread that Adam McNicol made it sound like there was another couple or few guys who have also re-signed or finalizing new deals with what he said.

Quoting Adam here: "And it is going to be a big couple of weeks, there's a few other guys on the cusp of re-signing as well".

Lets hope it includes Motlop, Blicavs, Hawkins!

Last edited:
Also Daz (I think) mentioned in the Thurlow thread that Adam McNicol made it sound like there was another couple or few guys who have also re-signed or finalizing new deals with what he said.

Quoting Adam here: "And it is going to be a big couple of weeks, there's a few other guys on the cusp of re-signing as well".

Lets hope it includes Motlop, Blicavs, Hawkins!

Probably 2 out of 3 Daniel...

I have inserted some selective interpretation in bold above. In short, the article says absolutely nothing that we didn't already know - probably some effective misdirection by both his manager and the club to try to avoid danger field type speculation building in the latter part of the season when the eagles need to start focusing on finals. If any club knows what these types of distractions are like going into a finals campaign, it's us.
There has never been any indication from his camp that he's interested in leaving. As far as I'm concerned the comments from his manager confirm that he's not. There's not even a whiff of equivocation there.

Hey guys, just curious.. IF you lost Motlop, do you think you'd consider a straight Swap, Lachie Hunter for Josh Walker?

Wait what does losing Motlop have to do with that aha just wondering?
Also I do like Hunter, but don't think Geelong would take that.
Btw what has happened to Hunter's 2015? Just looking at his stats all his career bests are in 2014? Is he injured?

Wait what does losing Motlop have to do with that aha just wondering?
Also I do like Hunter, but don't think Geelong would take that.
Btw what has happened to Hunter's 2015? Just looking at his stats all his career bests are in 2014? Is he injured?

Well if you still have Motlop, u wont need another small fwd as desperately. Hunter is down the pecking line now, latest batch of recruits have even humped in front. Lost confidence i'd say. Hate to use the word but seems like he is sulking abit. Rumour is he may ask to be traded for more opportunities. Certainly has potential, just needs to put in the work.

Well if you still have Motlop, u wont need another small fwd as desperately. Hunter is down the pecking line now, latest batch of recruits have even humped in front. Lost confidence i'd say. Hate to use the word but seems like he is sulking abit. Rumour is he may ask to be traded for more opportunities. Certainly has potential, just needs to put in the work.
Don't think he really fills a priority need for us. Our priorities are:

1. Midfielders
2. A ruckman
3. Key position defenders

I think if Walker headed your way a pick would more likely be coming our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

given Mitch Clark and Nathan Vardy are two of the most injury-prone players in the game today, we would only have Hawkins and the slightly smaller (191cm) sized Shane Kersten for backup if we traded away Walker.
Geelong also lost James Toohey to an early retirement. He was being groomed at both ends of the ground.
Also said goodbye to Mitch Brown last year so we are pretty thin for young key position types at the moment as I do not consider Clark or Vardy long term players despite what our football club is saying otherwise (latest fluff piece by Scott on Clark is deplorable).

Knowing our list management strategies in recent years though, I wouldn't be surprised if we put all our eggs into the Vardy & Clark basket.

Don't think he really fills a priority need for us. Our priorities are:

1. Midfielders
2. A ruckman
3. Key position defenders

I think if Walker headed your way a pick would more likely be coming our way.

That looks pretty right…going to be a very interesting draft period for Geelong this year….unlike Bobby (above) I haven't written off Vardy as an addition to the side in 2016….maybe even Menzel (what a story that would be…I really hope he can)…but bolstering our midfield, adding a ruck and a KPD to the list along with a bit of luck on the injury front and we would have a pretty rounded squad.

Aren't we due for a little luck?

Most interest for me is if Delaney gets up and going into the VFL this year. I wonder if we would still chase Henderson? If he can have a big pre-season to earn an upgrade and start playing for us, along with Kolo, could be our replacements for Rivers and Lonners.

Then that pick 1 and cap space can go towards a mid or a ruck.

Hey guys, just curious.. IF you lost Motlop, do you think you'd consider a straight Swap, Lachie Hunter for Josh Walker?

no. Motlop has little to do if we trade Walker.. Clark is not looking a strong long term player... to trade Walker it would not be for a fringe mid... unless they hit the mark of need I guess. Hunter is a high half forward , id rather a Honeychurch type.

Last edited:
Has any of our smart cookies thought about how the in drafting bidding will work? How much time between bids? After a team bids, does a club match then go and trade to get picks immediately? Listening to Twomey he is confident that Mills and Hooper will have bids against them , if thats the only player then I guess thats as in the example a club can use its own picks and shuffle backwards ..especially considering how weak this draft is. But what if a second player is bid on. GWS also have Kennedy. Brisbane have Keays and Hipwood.

I guess we will know more seeing it work later in the year... but the draft period traditionally was after the trade period. If a club has to have picks to get both players do they have trade in anticipation of bids? Can they trade in draft (like the Draft day movie).

It all seems to me that a R1 pick may have good value as trade collateral , teams like Bris and GWS may want extra picks. GWS will probably back in getting them from Colliglio and maybe Treloar...but Brisbane? Do they pass up on one? Syd will need a really early pick to get Mills and they will be way off that .Where does Dunkley fit. If I was GC , id be bidding on Mills & Hooper for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back