List Mgmt. Motlop: signed, sealed and delivered

Remove this Banner Ad

FzMolPp.gif
That is way too creepy...

Back page of todays Addy has Motlop saying his manager [Alex McDonald,so thankfully not Prickering $$$] is currently in talks with the club
That's good. But the Ady also had an article last week saying Hawthorn were after Danger. Who knows, they might be having a chat to Stevie too. I hate this time of year.

That's his primary role as a player manager isn't it - ie get the best deal he can for the person he represents. And believe me I'm no fan of the flog.
Yep of course it is but he's still pretty greedy. They are very well paid. Accept a little less, stay a one club player. Pickering doesn't value loyalty.

Yep of course it is but he's still pretty greedy. They are very well paid. Accept a little less, stay a one club player. Pickering doesn't value loyalty.
Not sure when push comes to shove in a money v loyalty contest any player manager would choose the latter over the former.

IF Motlop leaves to GWS I would consider a trade for WHE and maybe something extra

Handy player... can think of a couple of others id be willing to have as well , might even be willing to throw a R2 to get more than 1. Try to turn a short term negative to a long term gain.. bit like losing Colbert all those years ago.

But thats "if and when"... hopefully he signs for what fits our plans.

That's his primary role as a player manager isn't it - ie get the best deal he can for the person he represents? And believe me I'm no fan of the flog.
He'd be getting a % of each deal, wouldn't he? Therefore it's probably more that the interests of No 1 come first, THEN the players' interests.

He'd be getting a % of each deal, wouldn't he? Therefore it's probably more that the interests of No 1 come first, THEN the players' interests.
Should be said though it's a master servant relationship and at the end of the day it's the player who makes the final call.

Not sure when push comes to shove in a money v loyalty contest any player manager would choose the latter over the former.
Perhaps not, but a number of Geelong players have for many years now, shown that some things are more valued than more money.
And with good reason-they won flags. I wonder if Chappy will regret chasing the dollars-not worth it? Ablett-I regret the move for him, even if he doesn't!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps not, but a number of Geelong players have for many years now, shown that some things are more valued than more money.
Correct! As I suggested in my earlier post the manager is the employee. It's up to the player to make the call on the terms v loyalty question.

Should be said though it's a master servant relationship and at the end of the day it's the player who makes the final call.
Yes, that's very true. I'm sure some players have just said to him- "don't even bother looking elsewhere. I'm staying!" In which case I guess it's up to the manager to put a price on the player's head and present that to the club, then hammer out a deal.

WTF does that have to do with Motlop's contract ?
Obviously nothing but this was the top trending thread and I wanted to comment in the Will Geelong boo Goodes thread but it was closed and I'm wondering why? Seems it was only opened for five seconds....

It's tricky isn't it? As I understand it, Geelong's "even" pay structure is not so much everyone gets a similar amount but more about rewarding longevity of excellence. I like that, in that if you are an excellent player contributing at a high level for years you will get great money even at Geelong. You've just got to earn it. (Unlike a Tom Boyd situation for example).
The tricky part is working out where an X-Factor game-turning match-winner like Motlop fits in with that philosophy. With Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins it's clearer.
Other clubs that don't have that pay structure could pay a bigger difference for the "maybe" of Motlop.
If only Mots could have had an injury free 2014 to continue on his 2013 form.

It's tricky isn't it? As I understand it, Geelong's "even" pay structure is not so much everyone gets a similar amount but more about rewarding longevity of excellence. I like that, in that if you are an excellent player contributing at a high level for years you will get great money even at Geelong. You've just got to earn it. (Unlike a Tom Boyd situation for example).
The tricky part is working out where an X-Factor game-turning match-winner like Motlop fits in with that philosophy. With Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins it's clearer.
Other clubs that don't have that pay structure could pay a bigger difference for the "maybe" of Motlop.
If only Mots could have had an injury free 2014 to continue on his 2013 form.

It would surprise me if there is any club that does not have a similar pay band structure to that of Geelong, even if with minor variations. It's the only way they could practically model their TPP structures.
The bands would also no doubt, like Geelong's, be a little bit rubbery to deal with the availability of FAs and other unusual recruiting and retention possibilities or exigencies.

Speculative late R1 in a weak draft for a top 5 player on our list who at 24 is only going to get better and is a proven match winner?

I sure hope not.

People over rate draft picks.
The work that has gone into Motlop there is no way you throw that away for a pick like that.
Even a top 3 pick won't guarantee you a better player and you still have to put the work into them and hope they don't get injured. Keep him at all costs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back